not sure how to get started...

Options
"WEll I really have always loved bread and Pasta and all the starchy food thats really not the way to eat.
but im not sure i have the power to rid my self of CARBS:(

i want to start loosing the weight, and i feel like this whole working out and eating healthy should work, but maybe im not doing enough of it??

Im thinking of trying LOw carb like an atkins diet to help becasue i have seen others suceed, but im realistic i want to eat speghetti and rice and still not be huge!

I eat alot smaller portions than before and im struggling witht the loosing weight part i have lost a few inches, but you know the scale is really haunting me now~

Im looking for guidence and suggestions. and please know that i am willing to eat a balanced diet thats what im doing now! AND im just not seeing the progress like i want to!

HELPP PLEASE!!

Replies

• bethiewilliams
    Options
    Hi Loosint!
    Don't worry too much - baby steps. I was a real carb addict for years - pasta, bread, potatoes etc. I did a low carb diet for a few months (not carb free, just low carb) and I now hardly miss it at all. I never ever thought that would happen. Now when I eat it, I feel bloated. However, if you don't feel you can go the whole hog, try substituting white pasta for brown pasta and reduce the amount - have it as a side rather than the main part of your meal - same for rice. I also use grated cauli for rice sometimes - that is good.

I would suggest you firstly find out how many calories you need to eat to lose the weight you want to lose on a daily basis. Then track daily - that's why Im on here now, I track at work, at home, even in bed!!

If you eat more calories than your body needs then you will not lose weight. I weigh portions, although I do approximate vegetables as they are what fills me up. If you cannot be bothered to weigh foods then go for ready portions - such as fish portions, chicken breast etc

You have to become a little obsessive for a while until you feel comfortable although I have found that once I stop weighing or portioning foods I gain or stay the same so have to go back to weighing again.

As for exercise, do something you enjoy, then log it (and be honest) . I use 50% of the calories for food (extra) and keep the rest as a bonus. 5 weeks ago I started swimming again. I managed 10 lengths of a 25m pool in an hour. I am now doing 32 lengths (half a mile) and it takes me 40-45 minutes. RESULT!

Just keep going - your picture shows a very pretty girl so you have a lot going for you already. Mail me if you want to chat but I am sure lots of people will give you lots of good advice!!

Go girl!
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Am I a weight loss expert if I've gained and lost over and over again for my entire life? LOL.

You know, I've tried everything. I've done weight watchers (was moderately successful until I got pregnant - 9 years ago). I've done Atkins, South Beach, The Zone, Sugar Busters, Eat Right For Your Type, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem... you name it, I've done it. But the only thing that really works FOR ME is calorie counting with moderate exercise several times a week. Calories in vs. calories out. I try to make it as simple as possible. If I want to get the ravioli at Panera, I just need to count my calories. If I want a glass of wine, I just have to plan for it. As I'm getting used to eating fewer calories, I'm concentrating more on nutrition. A favorite dinner for me now is red pepper slices with hummus. Yum! And it is SO TRUE that your tastes change over time.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up carbs to lose weight. All you need to do is control your portions and stick within your daily calorie goals. Eat your bread and pasta if that's what you like, but make sure you also have plenty of fresh fruit and veg. Also don't forget your protein. Denying yourself usually ends in failure.
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    Options
    I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. What I've learned is that you don't have to completely deprive yourself of ANYTHING. Just plan ahead, count your calories and enjoy what you like in moderation. That is the key. If you deprive yourself of things you want constantly, that will eventually lead into a binge and you'll end up right back at square one. That's why this website is working so well for me (and many others, I'm sure) Best of luck, feel free to add me :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think a low carb diet is a bad idea if you know it's not going to be something you can do long term. Keep up with the portion control and if you haven't already, try switching to healthier carb sources like whole grain or brown rice pasta, quinoa, brown rice instead of white, etc and bulk up your recipes with lots of yummy veggies instead of pasta or rice.

Going back to portion control - are you weighing and measuring everything or just guesstimating? If it's the latter, that may be your problem. It's really easy to underestimate a portion if you're not really sure what 2oz of pasta looks like, especially since every pasta is shaped and made differently. Also make sure you're being consistent with your logging and not leaving anything out, whether you think it should count or not.

Also, losing inches is just as good as losing pounds!! Give yourself a pat on the back for that success! Best of luck!

P.S. I just looked back a few days on your diary and noticed that at least recently you've been eating a lot of high sodium foods and not drinking much water so it could be water retention that's messing up your scale weight. Up that water intake and watch those salty foods and I'm sure you'll drop a pound or two in no time.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think a low carb diet is a bad idea if you know it's not going to be something you can do long term. Keep up with the portion control and if you haven't already, try switching to healthier carb sources like whole grain or brown rice pasta, quinoa, brown rice instead of white, etc and bulk up your recipes with lots of yummy veggies instead of pasta or rice.

^^^^this. I've lost over 60 pounds in 5 months keeping carbs lower but not Atkins low, to 100 grams or less per day. Most important thing is not to starve yourself otherwise you'll binge and cave. Keep it realistic, look at the big picture and know that little changes over time add up to big loss. You have to remind yourself that this is a lifetime (yes, a LIFETIME) dedication and you need to be able to be on a plan that you can keep doing, no fad diets or crazy eliminations.

Do some calculations online about what calorie goal you should be in for your age, height and weight and go from there, and just start small with exercise. You'll find it addictive and just want to keep going after a bit. It gets to be a healthy obsession, seeing the numbers on the scale lower and your body get smaller, and you feeling healthier. I'll take that obsession any day over where I came from. I wish you all the luck and add me as a friend if you want someone that will ride you.. I'm on every day without fail.
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Everyone On Here Wrote Some Good Stuff. Just Switch Up some Things. I Recently Eat Spaghetti Squash With Sauce Instead Of noodles! So Good. Good Luck.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have to watch the amount of carbs I eat not because of the calories but if I eat much of them I get on a hunger cycle, found this by trial and error. When I started making the change I switched to whole wheat which was a big help because it filled me up and held me better. I do eat some bread and pasta but I make sure that I really want it, am very careful about portion size, eat it slowly, and make sure that I enjoy it.

The main thing I have found that serves me the best is not to eat any carbs at breakfast, I eat a small breakfast. By doing this I find I am not as hungry during the day.

I am not so much on a diet to lose weight, while losing weight is good, I am making changes that I can live the rest of my life with. For me this means no forbidden foods and no starvation but instead following careful portion control, moderation, a variety of foods, and making sure it is a balanced diet.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    dont give up carbs thats just silly. I havent.. Lots of ppl havent.

Maybe replace some with whole grains.

Eat more fruits/veggies and less refined stuff...

make it about balance.

watch your total calories

and exercise.

its really not that complicated.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Try to add more veggies to your meals! Broccoli, cabbage, spinach, greens, salads with light dressing...these fill you up longer.
  • jnmaddock
    jnmaddock Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here... don't go for a 'fad' diet, don't give up carbs.

Just exercise and count your calories. Make small steps.

Exercise has been key for me... choose any type of exercise you like... Its crucial that you enjoy it or you will give up. The calories you burn from exercise mean you can eat a fairly normal diet... just watch the portion sizes and be sensible.

Best of luck

If you want a bit of inspiration check out my 'before' photo compared to my profile pic :)
  • loosinit42806
    loosinit42806 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :)
    Thank you!!!!
    I have never been the "fad diet Girl" I just feel like im not getting anywhere! :( but i also know i need this to be a life style change not a few months of eating well and then back to my old habits, i eat alot of veggies and fruit, my dinners usually are my high calorie meal of the day!

and im watching my portions like crazy, im not weighing them but when i eat i always guesstimate high just in case, so im not unde3r calculating what im eatin!

I enjoy doing Turbo Jam or the gym Arc Trainer, i love the feeling of achomplishment i feel when ive busted my butt working out that day!
    Thank you for all your feed back and if I havent FR you plese add me!:)
  • boycey1976
    Options
    If you're losing inches that still counts, It could be that you are losing some fat and building some muscle which is good. You can monitor other things than your weight on here so use them all, you might find that will give you a bit of extra motivation. If you lose an inch but no weight that's good or if you lose a few pounds but no inches that's still good. WIN/WIN ;-)

Good luck and stick at it!
  • tkthompson244
    Options
    :)
    Thank you!!!!
    I have never been the "fad diet Girl" I just feel like im not getting anywhere! :( but i also know i need this to be a life style change not a few months of eating well and then back to my old habits, i eat alot of veggies and fruit, my dinners usually are my high calorie meal of the day!
    I was having issues losing weight at first. Like half a pound to a pound a week. Then someone told me this "Eat breakfast like a king, Lunch like Prince and dinner like a pauper" I thought about it and it made since. So I switched everything up. I still eat a small breakfast just because I just cant eat that much first thing in the morning. I have made my lunch my high calorie meal of the day and for dinner I usually just have a meal replacement shake. It paid off the first week with a 3 lb loss. For me, this way is better. It fits my life better also. With 4 boys in sports 4 outta 7 nights a week we don't get home til 8pm. Now I just make my shake on our way out the door and I don't have to worry about eating so late.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash, zucchini "noodle" lasagna, cauliflower rice, shirataki pasta!

low carb sprouted bread, la tortilla factory high fiber wraps!

Carbs are my favorite food group too, and though I haven't given them up completely, I try to find alternatives so I can still "feast" and not limit myself to one serving. Because honestly, a half cup of noodles is not enough!! Of course the fake versions aren't gonna be exactly the same, but with the right seasonings and spices, they can be incredibly delicious!
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Go to IIFYM.com and use their calculator to find out what is an ideal amount of calories and macros to keep your muscle and burn fat. You might be surprised how many carbs you can actually eat, especially if you work out :) low carb is temporary weight loss and you will not be able to work out as strong as you normally will. Don't rely on the scale, it's all about how you feel (that includes the feeling of not depriving youself of any kind of food in moderation) and inches lost!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    here are a few ideas for you...
    1. how accurate are your entries? Are you measuring things out? Was that really 1 cup of pasta or was it 2? Making sure you are accurate in your entries will help give you a better idea of what you are actually intaking on a given day. If you are truly just starting out, why not track all the food you eat for a week (without modifying your diet from what is normal for you) and see where you end up each day. Then the next week, try to reduce your daily intake by a small amount...this brings me to the next point...

2. How realistic are your goals and what is your timeline? Losing 50lbs in a month isn't going to happen, so set yourself some short-term and longterm goals to keep yourself motivated. Setting unrealistic goals will just set you up for failure and disappointment, so maybe if you are currently eating 2000 calories a day, cut it down to 1750/day for a week, see how you do, then move on from there. Set up rewards for yourself when you achieve goals (a massage, new boots, etc), gives you a little extra to work for.

3. What is your activity level like? Where can you fit in a little more movement? If you don't currently workout, can you? Add a 20 minute walk each day or get a gym membership, find a friend to workout with, whatever it is, make sure it is something you enjoy, and fits into your life right, otherwise, many people make up excuses to cut it out.

4. Last, be nice to yourself. You didn't workout today and went over your calories, its ok, start fresh tomorrow. You ate something unhealthy at lunch, make sure that dinner is a better choice. It takes time to break bad habits and create new healthy ones so make sure you don't get down on yourself.

Stay positive and good luck!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My take on Atkins is that if you're already overweight, it doesn't seem like a really good idea to be on a meat heavy diet, clogging your arteries with fat in the name of cutting out carbs. I work in a cardiology office and all of our doctors strongly oppose Atkins. So if I were you I'd just steer clear of that one.

Just count your calories and take it a day at a time. You can't expect overnight results! And why in the world would you be more concerned about the scale than your measurements? I've had weeks where I've gained a pound but lost an inch, and it makes me ecstatic. I don't give a crap what the scale says if I know I'm getting smaller, just saying.