Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Taking measurements correctly

Since my weight is absurd, I'm giving up on the scale and will start tracking measurements. Could someone please tell me what body parts to measure and the proper way to do the measuring?

Replies

• Since my weight is absurd, I'm giving up on the scale and will start tracking measurements. Could someone please tell me what body parts to measure and the proper way to do the measuring?

I measure mine like he below:

waist
    hips
    chest
    lower chest
    upper chest
    arm
    thigh
    neck
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Let someone you know and trust take your measurements for you every time, so you know they are being taken at the same spot each time. This is important b/c some people meausure in different parts of the thigh or arm.

I get one of the fitness trainers at my gym to measure me about once every two months.
    We measure:
    neck
    chest
    arm
    waist
    hip
    thigh
    calf
    BMI
  • I measure my neck, arm, chest, waist, hips, thighs and calves.

I personally don't think it's a big deal where I measure, so long as I'm consistent. I am covered in freckles so I use them a lot to keep consistent lol -
    If I'm in doubt, or there was a big jump in measurements between weeks then I'll takes 3 measurements and take the average as accurate enough.

My suggestion to you would be to pick 2 or 3 spots on every major part of your body (2 leg measurements, 2 arm measurements, 3 torso measurements) find the spots that are the thickest or carry the most fat, and just be consistent measuring in the same spot. Also, you want the tape measure to be snug, but not too tight. If your skin is bulging out around the tape measure it's too tight, if it's slipping around it's too loose. I usually err on the side of a little too loose if I have to choose.