Going camping, eat at TDEE?

Hi all. So we are going camping for a few days and I am trying to plan ahead as best I can. I am currently eating at TDEE-20% and losing a steady 1 lb a week. Since I'm taking things slow as to not overwhelm myself and give up, I am still quite sedentary. So my TDEE is calculated quite low. Camping will be a different story as we will be hiking, kyacking, etc. Would it be best to eat at my current sedentary TDEE since I'll be more active or should I continue to eat at TDEE-20%? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    It depends on level of activity while camping versus normal level of activity. Only you can answer that. I'm willing to bet that you'll be burning more than normal.
  • quamsi
    quamsi Posts: 13
    It depends on level of activity while camping versus normal level of activity. Only you can answer that. I'm willing to bet that you'll be burning more than normal.

Thanks. Right now I am not active at all. I'm working on other challenges first, before introducing more vigorous exercise. So I know I will be quite a bit more active while camping. My thoughts were that if I eat at my current sedentary TDEE-20% I'll probably be eating too little. Probably during camping aiming for TDEE would be closer to a 20% deficit.

Well, that and I need a reason to eat a 'Smore or two. j/k.
  • AZ_Gato

Thanks. Right now I am not active at all. I'm working on other challenges first, before introducing more vigorous exercise. So I know I will be quite a bit more active while camping. My thoughts were that if I eat at my current sedentary TDEE-20% I'll probably be eating too little. Probably during camping aiming for TDEE would be closer to a 20% deficit.

Well, that and I need a reason to eat a 'Smore or two. j/k.

So if you're not active at all...are you winking at someone in a morse code type of relay system so that they type the message? Are you in a comatose state? Everyone has some type of level of activity, you need to give yourself a bit more credit than that. I suggest you do a bit more reading about TDEE/BMR.

Have fun...and you SHOULD enjoy a S'more or two.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    I often up my intake to "maintenance" on weekends when I am super busy. During the week I have a desk job and set my level to seditary and then eat back most of my exercise calories. One weekends I am up and about all day - shopping, cleaning, take care of kids, dogs, etc. so I know I burn more then I do on weekdays. That said I've yet to actually gain back any weight and lose at a fairly regular pace. The week I went to Disneyworld I didn't even stress it, ate what I wanted, walked 20 miles/day often with a 20lb baby strapped to me and I still LOST 2lbs that week. Did the same thing the 4 days I was in Vegas - only I didn't walk quite as much and didn't bring the baby - I had lots of liquid calories too those days too and still no gain ;D

You really have to figure out what works for you and your body but I'd say don't stress it so much. You still have to enjoy your life. Your going to be above and beyond your normal activity level so you'll be just fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Stick with your budget, have a s'more or two and if you happen to lose a bit extra consider it a bonus. You aren't likely to run into health issues even if you under eat for a day or two.
  • quamsi
    quamsi Posts: 13

So if you're not active at all...are you winking at someone in a morse code type of relay system so that they type the message? Are you in a comatose state? Everyone has some type of level of activity, you need to give yourself a bit more credit than that. I suggest you do a bit more reading about TDEE/BMR.

I am actually quite educated about TDEE/BMR. Done all the reading, got measurements done, scrutinized my activity levels etc. I am not eating at BMR or I would be losing more than 1 lb a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I personally wouldn't worry about a few days...if you feel low on energy or hungry then eat a bit more...if not, then whatevs...it's only a couple days.

Personally, when I'm camping I eat...because I'm very active out there and can't hike those mountains without proper fuel...but that's just me.
  • AZ_Gato

I am actually quite educated about TDEE/BMR. Done all the reading, got measurements done, scrutinized my activity levels etc. I am not eating at BMR or I would be losing more than 1 lb a week.

Well then that's great. Enjoy your camping.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    I just got back from camping this weekend, and my advice is just to relax and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about tracking your food, but do exercise some moderation. Go, be active, eat with your friends and family, and have a good time. One or two days won't derail your weight loss efforts.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I eat at maintenance for camping, mostly so I can really enjoy myself but not binge.