I seem to be "carb" heavy..any ideas

I've looked over my food diary for the past few months and see that I am ingesting too may carbs. Yes, I am a carbaholic. I am open to suggestions, any one have any ideas?

I know I need to stop eating as much popcorn as I do (hubby lives on this stuff). Trust me...I have cut WAY back from my old eating habits. My first goal is going to be to limit that to once/twice a week and only 4 cups at a time...no more.

As I said...open to suggestions...good, bad, or indifferent!!

Replies

• I have around 300 grams of carbs some days and it hadnt stalled my weightloss at all. But I also make sure to have enough protein and fat as well.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    what is carb heavy? Where do you want to sit carb wise?

Just eat food that is higher in protein.

I snack on greek yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with protein powder.. rolled up ham or turkey with either cheese or lettuce.. brownie quest bars heated and topped with peanut butter..banana cheesecake protein pudding.. peanut butter on whatever.. 34 degrees cracker crisps (try them if you haven't!) topped with tomato and cheese .. I also just bought the mini loaf of bread, that'd you see with appetizer so i can have a snack with them. I make mock pizza using eggplant topped with marina cheese and chicken (and other veggies) and eggs with egg whites every which way
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    As long as you're hitting your protein and fats and unless you have a medical condition which requires that you closely monitor carb intake, don't worry about it.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    What kinds of carbs are you consuming? If it's from fruits and veggies, don't worry about it. But if you're eating a lot of pasta, potatoes, etc. then you need to cut back. Have whole grain carbs with one meal and eat some fruit when you get a carb craving.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I love carbs, and they have never hindered my weight loss. The only reason I eat less now is because I eat more protein (same amount of calories, different food choice). Enjoy your carbs. Just make sure that you're getting enough protein and fat, too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    What kinds of carbs are you consuming? If it's from fruits and veggies, don't worry about it. But if you're eating a lot of pasta, potatoes, etc. then you need to cut back. Have whole grain carbs with one meal and eat some fruit when you get a carb craving.

Nonsense. Why are you demonizing foods. Potatoes for example, are very nutrient dense with lots of potassium.

OP, you don't say what your intake of carbs is daily along with your other macro targets. You diary is closed. With more specific info, people can give you more accurate input.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    OP, you don't say what your intake of carbs is daily along with your other macro targets. You diary is closed. With more specific info, people can give you more accurate input.

Sorry...thought my diary was open...it is now! Thanks everyone for your input! I do appreciate it. I don't eat a lot of pasta, potatoes, chips. I love pasta...but when I want it I use spaghetti squash to curb that.

Again, thanks for the input!
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Why do you consider your diet to be "carb heavy"? I looked at your diary for the past couple weeks and generally your carb intake is about 40-55% of your total kcal intake. That's not bad at all. Are you diabetic? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much and continue enjoying your carbs.
  • mmapags
    Didn't see too many carbs. Maybe not enough protein though. Also, possibly too aggressive a deficit though. What is your weekly weight loss goal and what is your height and weight?
  • When you make a pasta dish, try swapping out half your pasta with beans or veggies. Make sandwiches open-faced with one slice of bread instead of two. Avoid refined sugars--one way to do this if you drink sugary sodas is to replace them most of the time with seltzer and a splash of fruit juice.

Make sure the carbs you get are mostly complex, unrefined sources like whole grains, seeds, nuts, beans, and starchy vegetables/potatoes.
  • Amy4President

Nonsense. Why are you demonizing foods. Potatoes for example, are very nutrient dense with lots of potassium.

Not demonizing foods. You'll note I did not advise her to completely eliminate any from her intake. However, a banana is a better way to get your potassium in than a potato.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    I'm an admitted carb a holic, you'll never reform me.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

Why do you think this?

ETA - you're wrong about the banana/potato thing anyway.

1 banana (medium sized, about 7" long, weighing 118g) will have about 422mg of potassium. And it's about 100 cals.

1 potato (medium sized, about 2" in diameter, weighing about 200g) will have double the potassium - about 897g. And it's about 140 cals.

More bang for your buck with the potato.
  • mmapags

Why do you think this?

1 banana (medium sized, about 7" long, weighing 118g) will have about 422mg of potassium. And it's about 100 cals.

1 potato (medium sized, about 2" in diameter, weighing about 200g) will have double the potassium - about 897g. And it's about 140 cals.

Correct, thanks Lora!
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    carbs shouldn't be a problem unless you have a medical condition.... and keep in mind there are simple vs. complex carbs. I am trying to lower my carbs too and its hard since we've been so used to the foods we have had every day. But you can do it!!! if you go over in carbs, just work on calories for a bit and then try to up your protein bit by bit.....

dont worry about the NUMBER for carbs. just worry about eating healthy :)
  • Amy4President

Why do you think this?

You are correct on the potassium in the potato. I didn't realize it contained that much. However, the topic is being "carb-heavy." This lady needs help with her carb intake, not her potassium intake. You failed to mention that potatoes contain more carbs than a banana.

Also, practically speaking, from someone who kicked carb-addiction, it is much easier to grab a banana when you have a craving than cook a potato. It's really hard to cut out carbs when you have an addiction. I'm only trying to help having been there and experienced it myself.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Whether you should cut back on carbs is a different topic, but if that's your goal, consider something as easy as replacing your typical sandwich at lunch with a salad. You may also consider replacing some of your snacks like tootsie rolls with something less sugary and more filling.