5:2 fasting help, please

I'm looking to start the 5:2 fast and I would just like any advice from people who are doing it :) my BMR is 1467 and TDEE is 1761, so just not sure how much to eat on fast and non fast days, i think 500 on fast days is average? then do i eat 1761ish on non fast days? also which foods are best for each day...thanks a lot for your help :)

Replies

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Check out some 5:2 groups here for great advice, like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

Eat your TDEE on non-fast days (so 1761 to start), and around 25% of your TDEE on fast days. Most women average 500 calories and men 600 calories, but your needs are a little lower than average. 25% of 1761 is about 440 calories for fast days, which is pretty low but definitely doable. Eat back exercise calories on non-fast days, but do not eat back exercise calories on fast days.

Those are the basics!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    hey hun ;-)

i do my fasting monday and thursday. Fasting dasy is 500 and my regualr days are 1450. I usually do hardboiled egg in the morning and for lunch and dinner, ill by the ceasar salad light and split the bag, 1/2 for lunch and 1/2 for dinner. Low call fruits in between. and lots of tea!!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    sorry i cant spell today lol, dont feel like going back to edit it lol
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    I have very similar numbers, my TDEE is about 1750. However on non-fast days aren't you supposed to relax and eat what you want (within reason)? I would have to restrict and calorie count if I ate TDEE so doesn't seem like the benefit of not feeling like you are on a constant diet is there. Any thoughts?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm looking to start the 5:2 fast and I would just like any advice from people who are doing it :) my BMR is 1467 and TDEE is 1761, so just not sure how much to eat on fast and non fast days, i think 500 on fast days is average? then do i eat 1761ish on non fast days? also which foods are best for each day...thanks a lot for your help :)

Truly sedentary with no exercise, no kids, 45 hr desk job with sitting commute?

TDEE for the non-fast days is everything.

In the study they took the average weekly TDEE averaged back out to daily level. But you could literally do it with each day's TDEE.

Which if you pick a rest day to do the fast on, that would be correct at 25% of 1800, or 450.

But then be honest on the workout days with eating back exercise calories on top of that 1800.

That creates on avg TDEE a 22% deficit for the week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I have very similar numbers, my TDEE is about 1750. However on non-fast days aren't you supposed to relax and eat what you want (within reason)? I would have to restrict and calorie count if I ate TDEE so doesn't seem like the benefit of not feeling like you are on a constant diet is there. Any thoughts?

Very true, in the study, no logging on non-fast days. Took that stress away.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member

It depends on what your goal is. If you want to lose weight, then I'd say it is essential that you log your non-fast days if you start going over your TDEE, or else you run the risk of wiping out the deficit gained on the fast days. So if you were in a deficit of 1700 calories for each fast day, you'd be all set to lose around a pound a week if you ate exactly your TDEE the other 5 days. However, going over your TDEE by as little as 600 calories on average each of the 5 days will wipe out your deficit. If your goal is to maintain, then that isn't a problem. If it's to lose, then it is. But the point of eating TDEE isn't that you're "restricting," but rather that you're getting exactly what your body needs those days.

I personally log every day of the week (although I miss a meal or snack here and there on non-fast days too), because my goal is still to lose 20 pounds, and I need to stay on track of it on non-fast days to make sure I'm not eating too much.
  • Don’t do it. The 5:2 fasting diet is an unhealthy fad diet. Aim for balanced, healthy meals every day.

Get an exclusive look at Lisa's new book STOP THE DIET, I WANT TO GET OFF! at www.stopthediet.com and visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietitian.com on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen