true or false: meal frequency / meal timing matters

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

:huh:

So, if you require 2500 calories a day to maintain your weight, but you only eat 2000 calories a day total, but all in one sitting, you'll gain weight, is that what you're saying?

I'm thinking "not"...:smokin:

Why don't you try and let me know how that works out?

You people believe what you want. Personally I can tell whether my energy is coming from stored glycogen or fat reserves. Glycogen=happy time. Fat reserves = shaky, tired, and miserable.

Lets try a little experiment---eat your normal breakfast then go run a few miles in the morning. Then do it the next day but don't eat breakfast. I can promise you if you skip breakfast youre going to be miserable running because your body has already depleted its glycogen reserves during the night, and the process to break down fat for energy will leave you feeling like crap while running. It's been a long time since I've studied the actual process but it takes longer to break down stored fat for fuel and you can feel that. You know once you've depleted your glycogen reserves.

Does it make a difference eating 6 meals or 3? I dont know. I do know from the extreme example of eating one meal a day the results won't be pleasant.

What does that have to do with fat oxidation for the entire day?

Also, I don't run.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If I am caloric surplus, meal timing is not so important. However, if I am in a deficit, I find that meal timing is important. When I speak of timing, I mean a pre-workout meal. Energy balance is the key and of course is based on the individual.

Once again, people take things to extremes of both ends. When in reality it's the middle that matters.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I can't believe my eyes. Meal timing absolutely matters. Your body doesnt have some magic 24 hour clock and at the end of that period does the math and says "well look, lets take the total in and the total out and decide to make fat or not"

NO NO NO. It absolutely doesnt work like that. Your body works in the moment. If you gobble down 2000 calories in one meal and it will be converted to fat. No doubt. Then you will be miserable the rest of the day. Your body has some buffers...like the sugar stored in your liver...the best way is to feed your body as youre using calories.

Your body can only store so much "short term" energy and if you eat too much in one sitting it will be converted to fat. If you then follow up with a fast then your metabolism will slow down. You dont have to be a genius to figure this out.
    NO
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

So, if you require 2500 calories a day to maintain your weight, but you only eat 2000 calories a day total, but all in one sitting, you'll gain weight, is that what you're saying?

You people believe what you want. Personally I can tell whether my energy is coming from stored glycogen or fat reserves. Glycogen=happy time. Fat reserves = shaky, tired, and miserable.

Lets try a little experiment---eat your normal breakfast then go run a few miles in the morning. Then do it the next day but don't eat breakfast. I can promise you if you skip breakfast youre going to be miserable running because your body has already depleted its glycogen reserves during the night, and the process to break down fat for energy will leave you feeling like crap while running. It's been a long time since I've studied the actual process but it takes longer to break down stored fat for fuel and you can feel that. You know once you've depleted your glycogen reserves.

Does it make a difference eating 6 meals or 3? I dont know. I do know from the extreme example of eating one meal a day the results won't be pleasant.

IF followers do it often. So...what was your point again?

IF followers tend to focus on bodybuilding, which is great. Burning stored fat can also be good for endurance sport below the lactate threshold. If you want to do anaerobic sports though, glycogen is the best way. My anaerobic fitness and well being has skyrocketed since partitioning my carbs, loading high GI around workouts and low gi paleo at other times. You can't be an anaerobic athlete without em!
  • Springfield1970
    Options

I skip breakfast every morning and train fasted. Hasn't hampered my workouts or physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Out of interest, what kind of training do you do fasted? I find I can't go more than aerobic (zone 4) without bonking whilst fasted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IF followers tend to focus on bodybuilding, which is great. Burning stored fat can also be good for endurance sport below the lactate threshold. If you want to do anaerobic sports though, glycogen is the best way. My anaerobic fitness and well being has skyrocketed since partitioning my carbs, loading high GI around workouts and low gi paleo at other times. You can't be an anaerobic athlete without em!

Bodybuilding is an anaerobic activity. Many bb'ers train fasted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If I am caloric surplus, meal timing is not so important. However, if I am in a deficit, I find that meal timing is important. When I speak of timing, I mean a pre-workout meal. Energy balance is the key and of course is based on the individual.

Once again, people take things to extremes of both ends. When in reality it's the middle that matters.

QFT.

Meal timing/frequency does matter - to the extent that it impacts energy levels, especially for gym performance, and adherence. Directly for weight loss...not to any appreciable degree. Caveat: that having extremes regarding protein intake is arguably not optimal.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I skip breakfast every morning and train fasted. Hasn't hampered my workouts or physique.

IDEA Fitness member

Out of interest, what kind of training do you do fasted? I find I can't go more than aerobic (zone 4) without bonking whilst fasted.
    Eat something prior to training then.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Absolute nonsense. Your body doesn't switch from purely glycogen fuelling to purely fat fuelling. Any glycogen depletion overnight will be minimal. Even when you are actively exercising your body is replacing glycogen reserves from your fat stores. Your body doesn't work how you think it does.

I can train fasted either aerobic or weights - no problem. Yes if I'm cycling at a high intensity for over two hours I would take on board some nice simple and complex carbs beforehand to avoid bonking (glycogen depletion) but the idea you have to constantly fuel exercise is incorrect.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Meal timing in the long run, for weight loss, does not matter. Sure, there are some arguable benefits of overconsuming and NEAT/TEF advantages, but that won't add up to much and usually the method of achieving these effects do not warrant the effort. However, the body is really good at homeostasis.

For example, a lot of studies conclude that metabolism is sped up by frequent eating when they show that the body expends more energy after a "meal" (thus, eating more frequently = expending energy more frequently = metabolic advantage). However, further research has shown that this energy expenditure scales with the size of the meal, and thus even if you consume less frequently, if the diet is isocaloric, both will expend over a period of time the same amount of energy. Thus, it ultimately boils down to calories in and calories out, although people will function better mentally (and physically depending on their Circadian Cycle), but will ultimately derive no superiority in long-term composition.

Athlete's, on the other hand, have to more closely monitor their timing for optimal performance (carb loading and glycogen depletion, fueling workouts, not eating too much that they are uncomfortable or eating enough they feel energized, etc.)
    Absolutely this^.

Meal timing protocols, fasting, substrate mixing all demonstrate some variations and effects. It is absolutely secondary to consistency in long term calorie modification.

Furthermore anyone saying that they do not use some energy from fat reserves at all times just doesn't understand biology. Short term FFA use is at least 30%~50% even at the lowest activity level.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I bet if you drank 40,000 calories of oil at once, you'd process less of that than if you drank 8,000 calories every 4 hours for a day.

You'd die.

Or want to.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it matters in terms of keeping control of unhealthy snacking.

If you plan to make your 1600 calories for the day over 3 meals, but then you end up snacking in between those meals, then obviously the 3 meals a day won't work for you, and you would be better to plan 5 or 6 smaller meals.

But some people may have no problem with this and find 3 meals works fine.

I think the important thing is to know your own body and what works best for you.

I had someone try to tell me I should have 30 grams of protein in the first 30 minutes of my day, but I struggled to
    a) eat in the first 30 minutes of my day
    b) Find a meal for breakfast which had 30 grams of protein and did not make me feel sick.

So now I eat my first meal about an hour after I wake up and it usually had about 15 grams of protein.

It works for me and I usually only have a cup of tea for morning tea.

However, I find I do need a snack between lunch and dinner, or else I end up buying some sugar laden junk food. Especially if I plan to go to the gym.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I bet if you drank 40,000 calories of oil at once, you'd process less of that than if you drank 8,000 calories every 4 hours for a day.

LA Beast consumed 24,000 calories in 3 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttC7KbE_uDo

It doesn't look pleasant.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree. it doesn't matter at all. if you eat 1000 calories for dinner, or in 6 tiny meals it is the same! I also disagree with the idea that eating infrequently leads to starvation mode and "you wont lose weight". if you DIDNT lose weight when you stop eating enough, people would never starve!

BUT

1) eating frequently means you are unlikely to go on a ravenous binge later - as you are never hungry
    2) your blood sugar remains more or less on an even keel. but if you only eat dinner, you are likely to crave a sugar boost and hence exceed calories
    3) starvation mode - when you stop the restricted eating your hunger comes back worse, and it is a craving for fats and sugars.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    False. It's a myth. Lots of people get great results with intermittent fasting.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    The only thing I know is that if I eat more frequently, which is basically 4 small meals a day with a few healthy snacks, I'm less likely to binge. If I go too long without eating, I eat too hungry, my blood sugar crashes, and I'll eat whatever is handy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

LA Beast consumed 24,000 calories in 3 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttC7KbE_uDo

It doesn't look pleasant.

It looks disgusting.

He notes: "For the record I have been on the toilet, leaking oil out of my butt for the past 9 hours."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    As of right now I'm doing 8x8 with no more than 30 second rests between sets. High tempo with mostly compound lifting. Squats, leg press, deadlifts, clean and press, pullups, etc. (not all one the same day). My workouts are broken up to training one body part per day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I agree. it doesn't matter at all. if you eat 1000 calories for dinner, or in 6 tiny meals it is the same! I also disagree with the idea that eating infrequently leads to starvation mode and "you wont lose weight". if you DIDNT lose weight when you stop eating enough, people would never starve!

BUT

1) eating frequently means you are unlikely to go on a ravenous binge later - as you are never hungry
    2) your blood sugar remains more or less on an even keel. but if you only eat dinner, you are likely to crave a sugar boost and hence exceed calories
    3) starvation mode - when you stop the restricted eating your hunger comes back worse, and it is a craving for fats and sugars.

1) maybe for you, not for me
    2) maybe for you, not for me
    3) starvation mode.- that a new definition of that, but in any event, maybe for you, not for me.

All of the above are very individual.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Bodybuilding is an anaerobic activity. Many bb'ers train fasted.

Yes, you're right, I'm talking about running, cycling etc above the lactate threshold for up to an hour, before glycogen just runs out. I'm fine bb fasted with the 30-60 secs rest, even when my heart pounds, I just don't think you can really breakthrough without glycogen. That's my experience. I've done every bb diet known to man! In Lyle macdonalds ultimate diet he used fasted bb to deplete the muscles of glycogen to burn fat half the week. The anabolic (muscle building stage) came after the carb load. It was amazing albeit alarming experience.