Personal trainer experiences?

Options
So does anyone here use a trainer? In support of my weight loss goal my parents are offering to hook me up with one from the YMCA. I just want to know what kinds of experiences anyone has had with theirs? Thanks!

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've had three personal trainers through different periods of my life. All three of them worked me beyond my perceived limits and helped me to achieve the results I was after.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks! I have a history of bulging disks and pinched nerves and I don't want to get hurt and/or have a trainer ignore the fact that I have to be careful. I'll need to do my research on the trainers there.
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's important to find one that clicks with you, but I love my trainer. I worked with another one years ago and had a great experience as well. A PT helps me stay motivated and continually raises the bar. When I might have made excuses or taken shortcuts, he keeps me moving forward.

He's sensitive to my weak spots, but it really is on me to communicate with him. A PT won't know if I'm feeling twingey in my lower back or if cleans are hurting my wrist unless I tell him, so it's important that the client remain open and honest throughout the entire process.

If your parents are willing to foot the bill, you should go for it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Finding one that's knowledgable and passionate and clicks with your personality.

I had people I worked with and they weren't interested in ACTUALLY working- so they lasted one or two sessions and pfftabba that was it.

All depends on your goals- their dedication/professionalism/education and personality.