What's on your weekly shopping list?

Options
13»

Replies

• inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We buy in bulk at BJ's club (which helps reduce the impulse buys!) so we don't always go every week but some of our staple items are:
    bread
    eggs
    english muffins
    waffles
    milk
    reduced fat shredded cheese
    cheese sticks or mini baby bels
    hashbrown patties
    bacon
    fruits of all kinds
    avocado, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, some other seasonal fresh veggies when we want them
    ham sandwich meat
    havarti or muenster sliced cheese
    chicken breast fillets, lean ground beef, lean pork chops or roast, chicken legs/thighs
    frozen veggies- whatever we're in the mood for
    carb side items like pastas and sauces, garlic bread, frozen french fries or tater tots
    coffee/sugar free creamer
    crystal light individual packets
    instant mashed potato bowls, grits, oatmeal, special k
    frozen pizzas/chicken nuggets
    granola bars/special k bars

Kind of long but that's pretty much the sort of stuff we always have on hand (keep in mind we also have 3 kids so some of that is more for them than us). I love having a freezer so that we can have a nice variety at all times and I basically plan dinner everyday from whatever items we have on hand and I never really plan out grocery trips anymore. Just replenish the basics and add in a few snack items depending on what we find.
  • CatLambee
    Options
    I always get almond milk, broccoli, carrots, and bananas because those are my favorites. But other than that I kind of just grab whatever I'm feeling like that week. Lately I've been on a rice cake kick...the caramel ones are sweet enough to kick my cravings for bakery goods.

I also pick up chicken, pork, and beef every week, but that's for my partner as I tend to avoid eating any meat that isn't fish, especially if I have to touch it. Raw chicken gives me the jeebies. ;)
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Skim milk
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Eggs
    Chia seed loaf
    Lite wholemeal wraps
    Fat free natural yogurt
    Avocado
    LOTS of Veggies :happy: (eg carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, lettuce, spinach, zucchini etc.)
    Cottage Cheese (Low fat)

I get these things most weeks, but not every week.
    Sometimes I also need things such as:

Rolled oats
    Wholemeal flour
    Brown rice
    Wholemeal spaghetti
    Wholemeal Couscous
    Potatoes
    Onions
    Garlic
    Lean Red Meat, Chicken, Fresh Fish (I buy them and freeze them until I need them)
    Vita Wheat Lunch Slices
    Canned Chickpeas
    Canned Tuna
    Spices/Herbs

My shopping list is usually VERY repetitive, but I'm not sick of my foods :wink:
  • lanajanewoolf
    lanajanewoolf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Salmon (about twice a week)
    Chicken (lots)
    white fish like barramundi (once a week)
    Occasional red meat like Kangaroo steak (yes we eat kangaroos in Aus)

Lots (and lots) of fruit and veg (staples at the moment due to season are)

avocados
    lettuce or wombok etc
    broccoli
    carrots
    cucumber
    mushrooms
    sweet potato
    baby spinach
    zucchini
    berries
    pears
    apples
    oranges
    coriander
    mint
    parsley
    chilli

sesame oil
    olive oil

oats
    greek yoghurt
    calcium rich soy milk
    eggs
    tinned tuna
    thai salad dressing
    rice paper
    vermicelli
  • skytoads
    Options
    I rotate between two lists:

First:
    Trader Joes
    2 bags of carrots
    2 bags of spinach
    2 cartons of eggs
    3 packs of chicken breasts
    4 artichokes

Second (Less often)
    Sams Club/Giant Eagle/Trader Joes
    Cases of protein shakes
    Black Beans
    Canned Tomatoes
    Ground Beef 96/4
    Almonds
    Pork Chops
    Frozen veggies
  • fernlori
    fernlori Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now to get everyone in my family to eat healthy????
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't have a weekly shopping list (I do a shop on Saturday by bike for exercise, but can't carry a whole week's worth of food, plus some fruit and veg wouldn't keep so I also shop by car on the way home from work once or twice per week) but the things I buy most frequently are:

-Low fat Greek style yoghurt
    -Blueberries
    -Strawberries
    -Bananas
    -Oats
    -Tuna
    -Some kind of tinned pulses (beans/lentils/chickpeas) depending on what I'm making that week
    -Chicken (for dinner at lease once per week, plus often roast chicken breast to go in wraps or salads for lunch).
    -Veg:
    -onions
    -peppers
    -aubergines
    -courgettes
    -carrots
    -something green (spinach/tenderstem broccoli/greens/kale/green beans...)
    -Fresh herbs (basil/parsley/coriander) depending what I'm cooking
    -Tinned chopped tomatoes
    -Whatever other stuff I'm running low on (pasta, rice, risotto rice, cous cous, bulgur wheat, etc.)
  • EmpressZhark
    EmpressZhark Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ** Loads of fresh veg – aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zucchini), bell peppers, salad leaves, tomatoes, cucmber, beetroot, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, green beans, peas, cabbage, kale, pak choi, leeks, asparagus, avocado, spinach…
    ** Some fresh fruit to stir into my porridge in the mornings
    ** Bananas
    ** Greek yoghurt - I buy it in 1kg tubs, and use it in place of any yoghurt/sour cream/cream in recipes, as well as stirring into porridge in the mornings
    ** Eggs (Great source of protein, easy & quick to cook, always worth having half a dozen in the cupboard for those evenings where you need a quick, filling, healthy meal)
    ** Mushrooms
    ** Cheese (Sometimes – typically cottage cheese, or mozzarella. Sometimes I’ll buy a wedge of something really good and give myself 30g/day cheese allowance).
    ** Quinoa
    ** Tinned tomatoes
    ** Tinned beans/chickpeas
    ** Lentils
    ** Porridge oats

That’s not to say my shopping list each week is identical. I get very precise about my grocery shopping – I plan my meals for the week, then look to see what I’ve got in the cupboards, and then go out and buy only what I need to make the meals I’ve planned. I make a list and stick to it when in the supermarket.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    We like to cook many different meals, and buy different things depending on the seasons and what's on sale. On a weekly basis, you can count on the cart containing milk, Greek yogurt, eggs (unless we get them from my husband's co-worker, who keeps chickens), bananas, pasta if we're running low or it's on sale, and whatever fruit looks good and is in season, and possibly half and half for my coffee; I only need that every few weeks because I use only a couple of tablespoons a day. Usually salad greens unless we're getting them out of the garden at the moment. We get most of our veggies out of our garden from May-October, but can't always keep up with the demand for salad greens. We make a lot of our bread, but buy hamburger & hot dog rolls because my husband has fallen in love with Martin's Potato Rolls.

We tend to buy meat in bulk when there's a sale and freeze it--we have two chest freezers--so it's not necessarily on the weekly list. We buy coffee for me at BJs in bulk and Coke for Himself when it's on sale (I freeze the whole coffee beans and Coke keeps basically forever.) We buy our grains, beans, nuts, and oatmeal at a bulk store and store those in the freezer as well, so they're not on the weekly list but always on hand.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Some of my staples:
    Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour
    Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
    Celery Hearts, Lemons, Baby Spinach, Frozen Pineapple and Mango - for green smoothies
    Baby carrots
    Tahini
    Almond butter and Walnut butter
    Bananas
    Organic chicken breast tenders
    Fresh salmon
    Eggs
    Packs of Albacore Tuna
    Spring green mix
    Coconut Oil
    Pure Pumpkin
    Chia seeds and hemp hearts
    Tart Cherry juice
    Tilapia
    Zucchini and yellow squash
    Sweet potatoes
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Fruits/Veggies:
    mushrooms, courgettes (zucchini), peppers, onions, aubergine (eggplant), spinach, broccoli, potatoes, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, bananas, apples, grapes
    (actually we grow our own so some of the time I don't need to buy or we have different things ready - squashes, tomatoes, cucumbers and raspberries at the moment :-) but these are my staples that I buy all the time if none are ready in the garden)

Dairy:
    semi-skimmed milk, 0% greek yoghurt, Freddo bars (small chocolate bars - 95cals), light babybels, (non-light) cheeses - usually cheddar/feta/goats/cottage (not all of them every week, but I always have at least one/two types in the fridge)

Eggs

Bread

Cupboard items I tend to replenish regularly:
    Peanut butter, Special K red berries, chickpeas, lentils, Velvet Crunch crisps/rice type things (84cals a bag), kasza/buckwheat, rice (I like Tilda's flavoured, microwaveable packets), dried tagliatelle, (I have loads of baking ingredients - flours, sugars, dried yeast, fruit, nuts etc, but these don't get used often enough to be replaced weekly!)

Ready-made things I tend to have in for lazy/ill days:
    frozen pizza, tinned soup, veggie burgers (frozen)

Spices - I make a lot of Asian type dishes so I always have a variety of spices in the cupboard - I get these in bulk from an Asian supermarket - much cheaper and better quality!

I'm vegetarian so there may be things missing for you. I cook from scratch a lot so it's mainly ingredients, with a few conveniences and low-cal snacks.