diary stats

Options
I was tracking my sodium which was almost always over the recommended but I decided as much water as I drink, thats not really an issue so I decided to switch and track my fiber for a while. Yep, its over as well. Is it bad to get too much fiber? Im also almost always over on sugar (fruits and juice) and protein (again is it a bad thing to get too much protein?) Im going over on all of this when Im not eating all of my calories usually. Advice?

Replies

• animatedbecca
    Options
    Also noticed I seem to never reach my RDA for carbs. How important is that? And if I need to add carbs, what?? I know there are good carbs and bad carbs and I know the bad ones are probably the things I love but what are good carbs?
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I can't answer about the sodium etc., but I can tell you that I saw a posting earlier regarding going over in the protein. The guy who posted (can't remember who it was) indicated that the body can't store protein, as a result it converts excess protein to sugar and fat and that is then stored in your body. So, keeping the protein in check could be important and could impact your ability to reach your goals.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    what vickiele1 said is correct but if you're only going over a little its not a huge problem. its more of a problem for diabetics, so i think thats probably why the counter is on there (personally as a vegetarian i use it make sure i'm getting ENOUGH protein)

i go over my sodium as well but like you said if you drink bunches of water (and juice and things count as well!) it doesnt end up being a huge problem.

ahh the sugar issue.....fruit and juice and nice perfectly healthy things that you are supposed to be eating are counting against your sugar. honestly i think the ONLY bad thing about this site is that they give you a VERY small sugar margin you can eat in and they count the fructose in fruits, (which sure if you eat WAYYYYYY too much of it will not help with the weight loss) which is kinda crazy.

the only day i havent gone over my sugar intake? THE DAY I ATE CAKE AND HAD TWO GLASSES OF WINE! why? i didnt have any fruit during the day. :noway: thats just silly. i personally just use the sugar counter so i can see how much i went over and then compare the sugar to what it came from.

the too much fiber thing....only a problem if you dont like pooping! :laugh:

a certain amount of carbs is good for your energy levels, you might wanna keep up with that. you can do more things during the day being fuled by carbs (just make sure they're good ones and not pure crap) i wouldnt worry about being just a bit under or over on anything. its when you're WAY over or under when it becomes a problem.

hope this all helps! :flowerforyou:
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    what vickiele1 said is correct but if you're only going over a little its not a huge problem. its more of a problem for diabetics, so i think thats probably why the counter is on there (personally as a vegetarian i use it make sure i'm getting ENOUGH protein)

i go over my sodium as well but like you said if you drink bunches of water (and juice and things count as well!) it doesnt end up being a huge problem.

ahh the sugar issue.....fruit and juice and nice perfectly healthy things that you are supposed to be eating are counting against your sugar. honestly i think the ONLY bad thing about this site is that they give you a VERY small sugar margin you can eat in and they count the fructose in fruits, (which sure if you eat WAYYYYYY too much of it will not help with the weight loss) which is kinda crazy.

the only day i havent gone over my sugar intake? THE DAY I ATE CAKE AND HAD TWO GLASSES OF WINE! why? i didnt have any fruit during the day. :noway: thats just silly. i personally just use the sugar counter so i can see how much i went over and then compare the sugar to what it came from.

the too much fiber thing....only a problem if you dont like pooping! :laugh:

a certain amount of carbs is good for your energy levels, you might wanna keep up with that. you can do more things during the day being fuled by carbs (just make sure they're good ones and not pure crap) i wouldnt worry about being just a bit under or over on anything. its when you're WAY over or under when it becomes a problem.

hope this all helps! :flowerforyou:

LOL at your post! So basically throw out the fruit, eat cake, drink wine and poop to my hearts content?:laugh:
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This site has the fiber requirements set too low. Males should eat around 30g and females 25g. The sodium on this site is set a little on the high side. I set mine for 1800mg. They set the carbs at 55% so no you do not have to eat all of that. I set my intake to 50% carbs and 25% fat and protein. Some people like to do 40/30/30. You just have to find a ratio that works for you.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    This site has the fiber requirements set too low. Males should eat around 30g and females 25g. The sodium on this site is set a little on the high side. I set mine for 1800mg. They set the carbs at 55% so no you do not have to eat all of that. I set my intake to 50% carbs and 25% fat and protein. Some people like to do 40/30/30. You just have to find a ratio that works for you.

So when you say you set yours, do you mean in your mind or can you actually go in and set the diary up that way? I hadnt noticed if you can but certainly interested in checking into it! Well if I knew how I would delete this and start over but I guess I will just edit it to say I did find where to do that by going to custom rather than recommended and changed mine to 40-30-30. Thats the calculation I came up with when doing the math in Jillian Michaels book to figure out Im a balanced oxidizer so guessing thats the way it should be set for me. Thanks!