struggle to lose weight, used to be easy.

Options
2»

Replies

• rccourtney1
    Options
    Wow, this thread has really gotten off the original topic. According to government weight charts, 135 pounds at my height is within the healthy range.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/

Since the thread has devolved into something unproductive, I won't be replying further here but I wonder if we as a society have gotten so used to people being so overweight that it's forgotten some people are built smaller and it's not unimaginable or worrisome to be on the low end of normal range.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm very upset about my weight. I was generally someone that could maintain my weight without effort or put minimal effort in and lose weight I gained. Now I'm 34, losing weight is a struggle and it is so discouraging, I keep thinking if only I wouldn't have gained the weight, now it wouldn't be such a struggle to lose weight. I did the calorie counting and exercise counting on here for a month and lost 3 pounds, decided that I could do it without recording food intake, stopped for a week and reweighed myself only to find that I had regained all the lost weight. Now I wonder if I had just lost water weight during that time and not actually lost bodyfat.

I gained about 14 pounds over the past few years and my goal is to just lose 9 pounds, it may not sound like a lot to some people but the extra weight is distressing to me. A lot of my clothes don't fit or don't fit the same. And my body fat percentage is high, according to my scale it is 29.8% and I believe it given how flabby I am.

How do you get over your anger at yourself and the feeling like if I wouldn't have gained the weight I wouldn't have to do this now? Can anyone else relate to struggling to lose weight after a lifetime of not needing to worry about it?

I just read the title.... Try harder .. end of story ... change your routine ... that might help also.
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    when I was in my teens and 20s, I was so skinny and thought nothing of it. Then I hit 30 and man! Why didn't anyone tell me that metabolism drops off at that time? I gained first 10 pounds, then 20 pounds, now I'm 40 and I'm 25 pounds overweight and I don't think I eat anymore excessively than I did in my 20s.

It's just about adjusting to your body's changes. I have a feeling when I hit 60+, I'm going to start griping about that wandering pain like my parents do.

I think it's just about adjusting the way we eat to fit our age.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread has really gotten off the original topic. According to government weight charts, 135 pounds at my height is within the healthy range.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/

Since the thread has devolved into something unproductive, I won't be replying further here but I wonder if we as a society have gotten so used to people being so overweight that it's forgotten some people are built smaller and it's not unimaginable or worrisome to be on the low end of normal range.

I'm not really sure if you'll see this or what you were looking for, but I think everyone was trying to be helpful. Even if you weigh that same as you did in high school, you will not look the same. Life just doesn't work that way.

Focusing on lowering your BF% buy increasing muscle may make you weigh more than 135, but it will also make you less flabby, and you expressed that as a concern in your OP. The days of being a naturally firm teenager are behind you.
  • Cooliobabs
    Options
    I'm 56, and from experience, my mid-30's is when I had to start paying attention to my weight. I had always been slender in my teens and 20's and would put on what I called "winter weights" but it came off quickly and effortlessly when I wanted it to.

Unfortunately a lot of things happen to us metabolically and hormonally as we age, which makes weight loss not as easy. We have to just keep trying harder to get the same result, and unfortunately it's never really the same result :grumble: I'm not telling you this to discourage you, just to let you know that you may have to adjust a few things to get to and stay at your desired weight. And when you figure out what it is . . .please share , because we would all like to know THATsecret :wink:
  • Cooliobabs
    Options
    I could not agree more than with this post. I am now 54 and am desperately trying to lose 1 stone in weight. I lost 2.5 stones some 2 years ago putting back on half a stone this summer therefore now a stone to go instead of a half. Just in these two years it's become more difficult to lose.

I was reading the weight gain section and was interested to read that people now have the same fears as I did in my 20's regarding weight gain and the fact that they do lots of weight exercises. I don't think they realise as they get older that muscle turns to flab and I for one have gone from a person with muscles on her arms from rowing and upper body exercise to flabby chicken wing arms!
    One of those things.
  • skinnythicktt
    Options
    i have recently noticed the struggle as well. It use to be so much easier and maybe because i was more active but it took me a while to get that active and the weight just came off. i had surgery this year and gained about 10 pounds. i have not really been able to get it off. recently starting my fitness pal and i lost 2 pounds in 1 week and i stop taking slim quick. so i'm hoping this will helps.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the 9 pounds. Eat well and start lifting weights. You will be amazed at what it can do to your body by maintaining muscle and losing fat.

If you can't get past the 9 pounds, maybe seek a therapist and discuss issues you may have with your weight and appearance.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    In for reading later.

I find this interesting because I found a thread this week about women in their 40s who had no trouble losing weight. I'm 24 and I'm glad most people can lose weight easily in their 20s, but I never could until now. I've tried in the past, but unsuccessfully. This is the first time I've made a plan for weight loss and it's working. I've lost 37 pounds over almost 7 months and currently lose about .5 every week and a half. Trust me, it has not been easy. In fact, I'm almost never offended until someone tells me I'm just losing weight because I'm young. I was young before and not eating a ton of food, just high-calorie food. Now I just eat better and move more. But, we young-ins are dismissed so easily anyway.

I hope it gets easier OP! Good luck to you.
  • airbearlover
    airbearlover Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have always had a hard time loosing while having an easy time gaining. I used to binge eat a lot then eat normal/ under calorie needs on other days. That killed me. Every time I wanted to lose weight I would get so depressed thinking that killer thought "If only I hadn't gained it". That thought zapped my self esteem and tore away my ammo so I would give up trying. Never stop trying.
    I stopped trying awhile back and was 7 lbs away from the 200 mark. Not near it now. Goal is 130. I am going to keep moving along. I wish you the strength to too. :)
    Ps. Have you checked your thyroid function? I have hypothyroidism and it slow down metabolism dramatically along with energy levels.