Daily Percentages

Options
I am wondering.... if you are at lets say 20% carbs, 50% fat and 30% protein but then you eat something high in fat why do your percentages now look like 18% carbs, 52% fat and 50% protein?

Lets say I have done some experimenting over the progress of 5 years and I know that I feel good by eating 20% carbs, 45% fat and 35% protein but one day my fat was 5% more than my goal... and my protein was 5% less than my goal... can you eat protein to bring your fat percentage down?

Replies

• Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This may not be the answer you are seeking, but did you take into consideration the following?

-1g protein = 4 calories
    -1g carbs = 4 calories
    -1g fat = 9 calories

So when you are talking about percentages, I guess you mean calories' percentage? If so, eating 2g of protein is more or less the same as eating 1g of fat (when considering calories only).

It's obvious that if you eat more of one, the percentages of the two other diminishes. That's actually mathematics ;)
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    And well, to answer your question more directly, if you want your percentage of fat to be exactly 45%, and you are currently at 50%, you have to eat some proteins and carbs to bring the percentages back to what you want them to be. That's mathematics :)

In that case, if you eat only proteins, your carbs percentage will go down because the number of grams of carbs you have eaten will be lower as compared to what you have previously (+what you added).

Hope that helps you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Well...100% is the total percentage, so if you take away from one, you will add to another.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    That's kind of the definition of percentages.