Do you have a strategy for Thanksgiving yet?

Options

Replies

• gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm using the same strategy I use for buffets. I'm doing it like this:

Morning: no breakfast, don't eat until noonish.

Midday: light lunch, probably sampling the snacks that my family's putting out. Hopefully we'll have veggies too! :D

Dinnertime: Sample a little bit of everything. Have a little bit extra of my favorites. Focus on eating more turkey than everything else (A favorite of mine, and proteins + fats = full tummy). Limit myself to one, generous piece of dessert.

Black Friday: Look at scale and cry despite my efforts. Hit up gym and pound out some squats to make myself feel better.

Next week: Eat like normal, go back to normal.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat what I want, in the quantity I want. Because one day is not going to cause me to gain 73 lbs over night. Or 1 lb. Or half a lb. Or any lbs.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    On my dad's side of the family, they have a tradition of going on a walk after lunch. This year there will only be 10 of us together and we have a condo and hotel on the beach so we will probably have a nice long walk at the beach! Be careful with the splenda, it really isn't good for you. Try honey.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It's one day...i didn't get fat because of a holiday, birthday, or other special OCCASION...I got fat because I treated everyday like a holiday and didn't move.

I will be enjoying the day. I'm not going to eat to the point of being sick, but I'm not going to worry about how many calories I'm eating and I'm not doing some random unplanned exercise either. I have a planned lifting session the day before and I have a planned long ride the Saturday after. Basically I'm going about business as usual.

Amen!!
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I'm going with a simple approach:
    Plate 1: As much meat and vegetables as I please.
    Plate 2: Carbs and fats to taste (one helping of potatoes and roll)
    One desert Item with ice cream
    As much booze as I can humanly handle.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    YES!

Wake up early go out to breakfast with the fam. Come home shower up and have lunch. Check cell phone and email. Go to the house of the closest person who invited us. If no one, go to the nearest El Torito. The end.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Same thing as last year. Portion control and moderation, and because I am the cook, some healthier side dishes along with the calorie laden family favorites for those who choose to indulge.
    For the second year, I will participate in the local Turkey Trot (walking, I am not a runner)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My strategy, I bake, I cook, I eat whatever i want in reasonable portions. No eating until sick! Just the usual, comfortable, "I just ate a good meal" zone while chatting with my wonderful family and then i go home and call it a day.

Oh and ENJOY IT! That's the most important part, lol.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm going with a simple approach:
    Plate 1: As much meat and vegetables as I please.
    Plate 2: Carbs and fats to taste (one helping of stuffing and cranberry sauce)
    One desert Item with ice cream
    As much booze as I can humanly handle.

OOOOOOOhhh THAT strategy. Same as above except. ...FIFY
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    OP your meal plan sounds good and delicious but too much cooking and eating for me. My meals are always very simple because that is the way I like to eat and cook. I am not too keen on traditions either.

It is only going to be 4 adults and two small children at the dinner table and I don't want lots of leftovers in my fridge.

1) Turkey and some stuffing. No gravy I just use the juice/dripping from the turkey. Cranberry sauce (yes canned, OMG!)
    2) Broccoli and corn casserole. No green beans
    3) Mashed potatoes (light butter and milk) instead of yams because that is what the kids will eat.
    4) No appetizers, maybe some carrots and humus.
    5) Fresh fruit for dessert with a Greek yogurt and whipped cream mix. And a pecan pie for my husband and ice cream for the kiddos.

I will have my little grandchildren for a week so I will not have time to go to the gym but I am sure that I will have a nice workout taking care of them.

Have fun and a happy turkey day.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My plan is fast day (600 cals) the day before.

No stuffing. No mashed potatoes. we will do potato pancakes because it's Chanukah, too, and I'll have one pancake.

We'll have duck rather than turkey, salad, and roasted brussels sprouts. Homemade cranberry sauce with maple sugar. I'll weigh and measure everything and keep to 1,000 calories for the meal. Oh, and my eldest is making her apple crumble, much lower in calories than pie, with whole-grain topping. a small amount of that.

Plus we all do a family hike the morning of Thanksgiving. But there aren't a lot of us, only six. That's OK. We like it kind of intimate.
  • bigred503
    Options
    I DO! Every week I do a cheat day, so Im swapping. A cheat day keeps me sane and I always average my goal each week and log all cals. Thanksgiving I wont. I will not worry about extra exercise or compensating for cals days before or after. I will have my one day, and I will DEF enjoy it :)
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, the same strategy I use every other day: Moderation.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of veggie dishes, and small servings of the really fatty stuff (sweet potato casserole with extra marshmallows, tyvm).
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm going to my mother in laws for dinner and the food isn't the greatest so I'm sure I'll be able to stay within calories lol.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    my strategy:

Going to run/ hit the gym/do insanity in the early AM

Making bread or biscuits and cranberry sauce and probably some sort of appetizer
    getting the wine (or 2 or 3) out
    driving above to my friends place
    opening wine
    eating
    having wine
    eating
    having wine
    eating
    having wine
    sleeping
    driving home after the wine wears off

Friday: Gym and leftovers mmmmmm.. turkey and cranberry on toast with taters.. mmmmmmmmm
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    - I will allow myself 2 bites each of my favorite thanksgiving dishes: pumpkin cheesecake, 3 meat stuffing, apple and raisin stuffing.

god that's a depressing sentance.

I plan to eat at least once whole pie that week. I usually have two or three slices a night. I love pie. I never skimp pie. I'd rather eat less of dinner and eat more pie than anything else in the world. I don't DO pie the other 364 days of the year.

I just heard about people that do pie night right before or after Thanksgiving. Just a night of pies and nothing else. Seriously a fantastic idea.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Doing an extra workout, eating a light breakfast and eating dessert first.

Newbie here :) Why are you eating dessert first?

because life is short. and dessert is fracking delicious.

my mom taught us to eat dessert first when we are working. She says you never know when you will get busy and if you only get to eat one thing.. make ti the one thing you really want to eat. Love my momma. She's full of awesome advice!
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am going to let Thanksgiving day be what it is but, with that said, I'm going to make sure I'm working out each day that week and, once Thanksgiving day is over, I'll be back on my diet plan and NOT indulging in all the leftovers.