Running and Lifting question

Options
I just started the C25K today to help me not push as hard ( i went for not being able to run a mile and 4 days later ran two miles....I had to slow myself down). I tend to push myself hard.
Anyway< I was would like to do weights in addition to running. I am going to be running M,W and Fri.

I did chest and Tri's today....but when do I do legs??
I was thinking on Sat so they can rest Sunday and be good to run on Monday?

Also, is there anything wrong with not working calves? My calves are naturally big and I hate them. Will running make then worse if I'm just running on a treadmill with no incline?

TL;DR: When do runners work their legs? Can I get away with not working calves since mine are so big/muscular already?

Advice appreciated :)

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    I run 4x a week and I lift every day. I do legs every other day so there is always a time where I am running after a leg workout.

If you're worried about the soreness and not being able to run don't be. If my legs are really sore they typically loosen up within half a mile to a mile into my run.

If you only want to do your legs once a week and you're concerned about your running then I would do them on a day where you're not running the next day.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K I alternated running and lifting days. It was fine. It's not like you're running a marathon, and in the beginning, you're just jogging or jog/walking intervals. I feel the pounding and the shin splints were a much harder thing to overcome than any fatigue from lifting. I find that I need a lot of warm up though before I run. Actually my best runs are after I've hiked a couple of miles first.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Don't run on the treadmill without an incline.
    Using a 0.5-1.0 incline will better emulate running outside and make your tranisition easier
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lift on your off days. IME, running the day after leg day is almost a requirement to help recover from the lifting. Feel free to do full body lifting or some sort of 2day split (upper/lower, push pull, etc)... just make sure your intensity is there. Ignoring your calves is fine, especially if you don't think they need specific work/attention. They will get enough work with everything else you are doing.

Also, be sure you are getting enough sleep and sufficient calories.

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I do upper body M & Th, lower body T & F. I've started to run on my upper body days, after my lifts, and then again on Saturday.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I no longer work my legs. they got too muscular and I didn't like it. sooooooooooo I just run and do minimal leg workout. but for me... I do it whenever my split allows me to. I run 3 days on and 1 day off. so legs is done on my off day. AGAIN though... I don't do heavy legs anymore. your basic squats and lunges bench step ups and all that happy horse crap... that's what I do!
    I do however do an upper body part each day. back and bis ... chest and tris.... delts.... core.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Lift on your non-running days. Instead of doing a split do a full body lifting program 3x weekly. It really only becomes an issue when you really start logging a lot of miles...at that point you have to decide whether you're a runner and you lift to supplement/assist your running or if you're a lifter and you run to further your cardiovascular fitness.

So long as I was in the 3-5 mile range a few times per week and lifting 3 times per week I was always fine...when I trained for 1/2 marathons and the like, I had to bring my lifting way back.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Using a 0.5-1.0 incline will better emulate running outside and make your tranisition easier

Great, thank you for the tip!
  • pittbullgirl
    Options
    Lift on your off days. IME, running the day after leg day is almost a requirement to help recover from the lifting. Feel free to do full body lifting or some sort of 2day split (upper/lower, push pull, etc)... just make sure your intensity is there. Ignoring your calves is fine, especially if you don't think they need specific work/attention. They will get enough work with everything else you are doing.

Also, be sure you are getting enough sleep and sufficient calories.

Got it! Thanks! :D
  • pittbullgirl
    Options
    Lift on your non-running days. Instead of doing a split do a full body lifting program 3x weekly. It really only becomes an issue when you really start logging a lot of miles...at that point you have to decide whether you're a runner and you lift to supplement/assist your running or if you're a lifter and you run to further your cardiovascular fitness.

So long as I was in the 3-5 mile range a few times per week and lifting 3 times per week I was always fine...when I trained for 1/2 marathons and the like, I had to bring my lifting way back.

I definitely wont be running that long (marathon or half marathon!) but thank you :)
  • pittbullgirl
    Options
    I no longer work my legs. they got too muscular and I didn't like it. sooooooooooo I just run and do minimal leg workout. but for me... I do it whenever my split allows me to. I run 3 days on and 1 day off. so legs is done on my off day. AGAIN though... I don't do heavy legs anymore. your basic squats and lunges bench step ups and all that happy horse crap... that's what I do!
    I do however do an upper body part each day. back and bis ... chest and tris.... delts.... core.....

YIKES! Im actually afraid this might happen and I LOVE working legs (squats, deads YAY- lunges- i hate, LOL).
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Sage advice. I'm just starting CT2K this week and with the weather rather chilly (I workout when I first get up) I will be doing it on the treadmill for now and want to switch to outside running in the spring. Think I'll try to remember to turn up the incline a bit from now on.