How do I add weight training at home with no actual weights

Options
I am just wondering what I can do to add some weight training at home, I don't have any actual weights and it is really hard to get to the gym since I work full time and have a 6 mo old and a two y/o ......40lbs to lose!

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    search Bodyweight exercises
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Try searching for you are your own gym or convict conditioning. Both are body weight strength training programs.
  • beloved326
    Options
    Use canned goods. Also use your children. Watch youtube videos of exercises with weights and use products in your home. Hold the baby and do squats or lunges.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Do searches for body weight training or calisthenics.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You could do things like push ups or you could use household items like bleach. Id stick with pushups, dips, etc.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your core before 'weight training'. Things like planks of all varieties, pushups, squats - rent a basic yoga cd from your library or pull up on youtube. There are many options for women who can't get to a gym. I always have found that people who start out by strengthening their core and then building up to bars or bells will do better than those who start out cold.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try searching for you are your own gym or convict conditioning. Both are body weight strength training programs.

^This
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Nerd Fitness has a great body weight exercise regimen you can do at home. I think its their Angry Birds workout.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your core before 'weight training'. Things like planks of all varieties, pushups, squats - rent a basic yoga cd from your library or pull up on youtube. There are many options for women who can't get to a gym. I always have found that people who start out by strengthening their core and then building up to bars or bells will do better than those who start out cold.

I respectfully disagree.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of exercises where you can use your own body weight. I would also suggest keeping an eye on craigslist for a moving sale where they really need to get rid of some weights ect for cheap. Have some pics up in my profile of some things I found there. So now I do floor exercises, weights, cardio ect. But yeah, if this is out of the question, just check out YouTube for wonderful ideas and demonstrations.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your core before 'weight training'. ... I always have found that people who start out by strengthening their core and then building up to bars or bells will do better than those who start out cold.

I respectfully disagree.

uh, what? "bars and bells" help you build a very strong core. So, I respectfully disagree as well.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You can do bench presses and squats with your babies!! Not even kidding! I have a 37lb dog and for some reason she loves when I hold her while doing squats and when I lay on the floor and bench press her up and down.

When your babies aren't in the mood to be used as weight training equipment, bodyweight exercises are fantastic. This website lists 50 different bodyweight exercises with descriptions on how to do them.

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    use cans of veg and bags like flour, sugar
  • JackieEnos203014
    JackieEnos203014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Use a chair or coach and do incline and decline pushups and dips. Use body bands (rubber bands) great for biceps, triceps and leg exercises. Use soup cans and large water jugs as weights. Find a heavy Vase in the house and use it like a medicine ball for lifting and twisting. Use chairs for box jumps and step lunges.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did the Nerd Fitness bodyweight workout for beginners for a while, it's great and you only need a big bottle of milk for it :D

Having said that, I've just spent a week working out with water bottles instead of weights because I was on holiday, and I'm glad to be back with my dumbbells here. I'd strongly recommend buying at least a couple of dumbbells (they're cheap anyway, but you might get some in a thrift store, or maybe from friends/family who no longer use them) since it's a lot easier to grip them, which means you can focus more on doing the exercises properly.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    Another vote for the nerd fitness bodyweight routine. Their whole website is awesome if you haven't seen it yet. Especially if you're an old school gamer.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5nyrD4eM64

Fitness Blender home workout without weights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrpGbulGprA

I like Fitness Blender anything. The guy always explains the exercises well & if I need weights, I use water bottles.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I did the Nerd Fitness bodyweight workout for beginners for a while, it's great and you only need a big bottle of milk for it :D

Having said that, I've just spent a week working out with water bottles instead of weights because I was on holiday, and I'm glad to be back with my dumbbells here. I'd strongly recommend buying at least a couple of dumbbells (they're cheap anyway, but you might get some in a thrift store, or maybe from friends/family who no longer use them) since it's a lot easier to grip them, which means you can focus more on doing the exercises properly.
    I also started with nerd fitness. And there's all sorts of great ideas for weights you can use. I used a full gallon of paint I had, and if you need heavier, there's always carry-on luggage filled with books. There are lots of in-home programs.
  • arronp76
    arronp76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use my 8 year old to do my exercise with weights (approx 23kg), and the chairs for triceps and the wall for push ups.