Speed of muscle growth?

Options
So I've been strength training 3 days a week for a little over a month and a half now, and while I have noticed some gains and definition in my biceps and chest, and better definition in my calves/legs but I am curious if there is anything I could be doing different to aid my muscle growth?

Not looking for supplement advice, or anything like that. I know there are no quick fixes. I think my protein intake is already pretty substantial, so not sure if increasing that would make a difference or not. since I do tend to be around 150-200g a day on a day when I work out with my trainer, and he is aware of my goals to put on muscle as well as lose weight so there is a lot of heavy lifting going on.

I am definitely patient, so I am not trying to rush anything, but I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to try and reach my goals.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. if you are trying to build muscle, you're going to need to be in a calorie surplus
    2. ease back on your expectations. it's only been a month. the muscle building process is quite slow
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Subscribed
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Muscle gains are slow...without a little "help". Just keep at it, consistency is the key. Try to add weight every week without compromising form.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a surplus of calories, lifting heavy, at least +500 per day, the most you can reasonably expect to gain is 2 lbs of lean mass per month.

You will also gain fat at a 1:1 ratio.

Definition only comes with lowering bodyfat %. Size comes from putting on mass. Do them both to be cut and big, but you cannot realistically hope to do both at the same time.
  • Zibberroo
    Zibberroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I gained over two inches in my biceps as well as my chest. My legs are bigger, though I am uncertain how much. My key to this comes from constant use of these muscles and pushing your limit slightly. Your body is made to handle a lot of activity, but it takes time to get it back to the ready when sedentary for so long. My biceps were larger than 19 inches when I was in the military, but I know that it will not become that again quickly. I first have to build the endurance, then the mass, by the constant use and slightly pushing my limit. I believe that this is the safest method, as well as a great way to increase the speed of weight loss.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sleep well (8+ hours)
    Eat surplus (+500 calories)
    Take a multi-vitamin and fish oil
    Drink post-workout whey
    Train heavy

Repeat for 1-5 years and you should see significant muscle growth.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I think you are already doing as much as you can. According to your ticker you are still trying to lose weight so you will just have to take whatever muscle gains you get while cutting. Since you have a lot to lose and you are new to lifting that might be a pretty good amount. Just keep hitting the weights.

Cant wait to see your progress. Good luck.

ETA: What lifting program are you using? Not going to second guess your trainer I am just curious what he has you doing.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Well, you can gain muscle in a deficit if you are a noob or obese... But don't expect to gain much. Mainly just focus on increasing main lifts; keep protein at 1g per pound of lean mass; don't cut too hard (keep carbs moderate, fats decent), get micros in and you'll gain as much as you can gain.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain while losing weight is essentially negligible.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Ok, so since I am trying to lose quite a bit of fat as well, I shouldn't expect to see much in the way of muscle growth it sounds like. Focus on cutting now and the rest will come later.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Ok, so since I am trying to lose quite a bit of fat as well, I shouldn't expect to see much in the way of muscle growth it sounds like. Focus on cutting now and the rest will come later.

Hard to say. Overweight beginners are one the few groups of people that can put on muscle while cutting body fat. Just how much? Just have to find out. Not much you can do about it except hit the weights, get adequate protein, and not cut to fast.

You are a big guy and probably have a lot of muscle already so whatever you gain as you lose the fat is going to look pretty impressive.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You are a big guy and probably have a lot of muscle already so whatever you gain as you lose the fat is going to look pretty impressive.

Probably.. OP...If you keep lifting and cut down your body fat you'll see results fast.. But you're not patient enough buddy, i gotta say.. Month and a half is just the beginning.. Keep training and good luck..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    1. if you are trying to build muscle, you're going to need to be in a calorie surplus
    2. ease back on your expectations. it's only been a month. the muscle building process is quite slow
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

correct. but take heart in the fact that as you get leaner, the muscle that you already have will look much more impressive. when i cut i lose a ton of size on my arms but people ask me if my biceps are getting bigger because that's what it looks like to them. so keep training because you're gonna appreciate keeping all of the lean body mass that you possibly can.
  • mrzdew
    mrzdew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Be patient! Eat plenty of protein (spread through out the day since the body will only absorb so much at a time), increase the weights you lift and keep good form, get plenty of sleep and then be even more patient ! Since you are still cutting calories you are going to be doing more of what some people would call a body recomposition which is an even slower process then focusing on increasing muscle alone since muscle growth really thrives in a calorie surplus! GOOD LUCK AND DONT GIVE UP just because you don't see the increases in muscle tone right away it will come with time!
  • Dr_Gains
    Dr_Gains Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    half a pound a week if not a newbie. It is much harder to put and keep muscle onto the frame than actually dropping bodyfat. Hell that is the easy part. I think 500 plus cals a day over tdee is overkill. 300 cals above is my sweet spot. Workout hard to send the signals to your body that those extra cals need to go towards muscular development over fat gain. Time and dedication my friend.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Technically, any gains you are seeing aren't actually muscle fiber growth yet. Before you can actually add more contractile proteins to your muscles, you have to have at least 3-6 months of heavy training while in a protein surplus. (Although I was taught in my nutrition minor that only 50 extra protein calories are needed per day, as opposed to the 500 extra calories per day you see recommended here, so that you don't store most of it as fat.) Prior to that, you are gaining glycogen storage in the muscles to have the fuel available for the lifts. Since glycogen is stored in 3 times as much water inside the muscles, you will see the "muscle pump" effect that makes the muscles appear larger/firmer. But it is just glycogen and water. Keep lifting and eventually you will see actual muscle growth.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I am definitely being patient, I know it is a slow process, I guess I was just wanting to see if there was anything I could be doing to aid it. I am going to stay on my path and enjoy whatever muscles I excavate from under my protective layer of blubber they have been hiding under. :)