How often should you work the same muscle?

Options
Does it matter which days you work which muscles? For example, if I have a muscle I'm really trying to grow (at the moment its legs and glutes) sometimes I work them two days in a row, or at least a few times a week, but I've heard from some people you shouldn't do this. I'm wondering why? Wouldn't it make the muscle grow faster and be more effective?

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Nope :) Muscles need repair time to grow. That's why nutrition for muscle growth is also important every day. It's pretty taxing on the body to build muscle, so doing the lifts is only the start of the process.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    different theories depending on what you are trying to do. but just regular bodybuilding is about 3-4 days for major muscle groups. Core can be done everyday.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Mondays is International Chest Day, though.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Read this research review on frequency, volume and intensity on muscular hypertrophy. Section 2.1 on Quadriceps Studies: Dynamic External Resistance is what you'll be looking at. The Discussion section is worth reading as well.

http://www.carblesspostworkout.com/uploads/4/8/2/9/4829089/hypertrofie_training_review.pdf
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Twice a week to maximize gains, regardless of the muscle group... because all muscle works the same.

Body's anabolic response to exercise lasts about that long, so you would be the most efficient that way. Also training is cumulative, so if you're doing a lot of volume right now on each of your days, you might just split it into an upper/lower split and hit the gym 4 days a week.