Looking for "the best burger recipe" ever?

funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
:) So, I'd really like to make burgers for my family tomorrow night. I want to make them pretty low fat. I know that I should go for the leanest beef possible, but what exactly do I put in them (seasonings and what not)? I've never made burgers before, so I'd really appreciate a recipe with some good instructions. If nothing else, what seasonings do I put in the meat?

Replies

• jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Depending on the tastes of your family, you could try some or all of the following:

Garlic powder
    Onion Powder
    Montreal Steak Seasoning (which is really garlic, salt and pepper)
    Cayenne pepper
    Worstershire Sauce

I also like to buy meat (1/2 chuck and 1/2 sirloin) and grind it myself inthe food processor. That way I can regulate how much fat goes into the burgers. Yes, burgers are not the healthiest meal, but there's nothing that says you can't enjoy a treat once in a while.

I hope this helps!
  • The leaner the beef, the dryer it will be so you want to be sure to cook it medium-medium well. Coriander, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little seasoning salt should do the trick...just don't overmix the seasonings into the meat...it creates a tough burger. If you add some finely minced onion, it will add flavor and a little moisture as well. Good luck!!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    You could always do turkey burgers or bison burgers too to cut down on the calories.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    I bought 93/7 ground beef from Whole Foods and cooked it on the GF grill. It was juicy and was not tough at all.

I put it on a wheat hamburger roll, with a slice of low fat pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mustard, with a pickle on the side.

It was delish! :flowerforyou:
  • We use Montreal Steak seasoning and don't overcook the burgers. I think the key I think is in the quality of the bun and the toppings and depends on your individual tastes. I don't think there's a perfect burger for everyone. If you are really ambitious, stuff a little low fat feta cheese in the middle (blue cheese is great too but not low fat!). The cheese melts and oozes out with each bite.
    Hope they taste yummy and don't forget to let us know!
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    I made burgers last night! Usually, they are really dry and nasty, I actually have the reputation for making the WORST burgers. Last night, I mixed it up and they were awesome! Not sure of the calories though :(

I used 1 lb of ground sirloin
    1 Med Yellow onion, chopped
    1 Packet of Lipton dry beefy onion mix
    1 Tbsp of low sugar bbq sauce
    2 Tbsp Low sodium Worchestire (no clue how to spell this lol)
    Salt and Pepper
    1 Egg

I chopped the onion and mixed it in a large bowl with the sirloin, cracked in the egg (without beating it), added the beefy onion mix, bbq sauce and worchestire. Mix it (gently, not to overmix) with hands (like meatloaf). Formed into 4 patties and put into a lightly oiled (I used garlic olive oil) skillet (you could skip the oil but I think that it helped to keep the burgers from drying out). Salt and pepper if desired. When you cook them, don't press them with the spatula, just let them brown on each side and flip once, gently. I used a meat therm. and took mine out when they were about 170, and they were perfect. I melted weight watchers american cheese slices on top and served on lightly toasted sourdough bread with hellmans light mayo and sliced avacado and tomato. They were soooo delicious. My new go to recipe! Hope this helps!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    There is a Turkey Burger recipe in a book called "Eating For Life" by Bill Phillips. It is one of the best burgers I have ever had! I can't find it online. I have the book, but would need to dig it out. When I find it, I'll post it for you!

The main ingredients that make it so good are fresh parsley, horseradish, and worchestershire sauce.
  • Go to this web site. They are called Cheddar Bacon Hamburgers Recipe. Absolutely delicious!

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cheddar-bacon-hamburgers/Detail.aspx

Amount Per Serving Calories: 446 | Total Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 97mg
This discussion has been closed.