Low Carb Question

Options
It's obvious that Fruit has a lot of Carbs, an average Banana or Apple has close to 30.
So I am just wondering, Do people who undergo a Low Carb diet eat any fruit at all?

Yesterday I ate 160 Carbs - Most were fruit.
I just love it so much, and have always been told eat fruit to lose weight,
But apparently that is not true now.

I just don't see how it is possible to give it up! Lol.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters when it comes to weight loss.

Eat whatever you want, maintain a caloric deficit, exercise, and profit.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Options
    When I was doing the low carb thing (which I stopped because it just wasn't the right path for me) I was doing a metric crapload of vegetables and meats. Yes, mostly avoiding fruit, but if I was really craving something sweet and fruity I'd eat raspberries and a few strawberries - they're pretty low carb as far as fruit goes.

If you want to eat fruit and lose weight, it's still a valid option - but low-carb may not be the right route for you either. Ultimately, your goal is just to use more calories than you put into your body to lose weight.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, it seems ok for me. Between my oatmeal that i have everyday with a half cup of blueberries and my smoothie which has a banana, blueberries, grapes, rasberries and blackberries. And then all summer i was eating 4cups of watermelon everyday - i would say - go for it. Just fit it in calorie wise to your daily limit. I love fruit too and actually am eating much more of it since i started this journey.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes, like others said - i wasn't trying to do a low carb diet - just staying within calorie limits. I think that is what ultimately works.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    To eat lower carb, you don't have to eliminate fruit, but you do have to limit it to one or two medium-sized servings a day, depending on your carb macro goal.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Check out the Keto and Low Carber forums
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Carbs are what FUEL your body. Dont fear them. You want to cut fat, eat well, lower bad fat intake, and work your butt off for your goals!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters when it comes to weight loss.

Eat whatever you want, maintain a caloric deficit, exercise, and profit.
    This. It sounds rather obvious that you don't really want to eat low carb, so why force yourself to?
  • I just love it so much...

I just don't see how it is possible to give it up! Lol.
    Not being willing to cut out fruits will make things harder, but there are some that are lower in sugars and therefore carbs than others. Typically they're berries, but watermelon works well too, and unsweetened grapefruit. Avocados are a low carb fruit too, although I'm assuming you want sweet. I noticed a couple of people advocated the idea of reduced calories being everything in weight loss, and that's only true if you don't care about where the weight comes from. Otherwise you don't want to skimp on the protein to make sure you lose more fat than muscle in the long run. Also, fruits eaten by themselves will tend to spike your blood sugar, causing you to release insulin. You can get away with eating them more often if you make sure to do it soon after exercise and avoid eating them before bed.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Why give it up? Are you on a "diet" or do you want to lose weight for GOOD? There's a difference. I have my macros set to 40% carbs, I'm 41 yrs old at 18% body fat and have maintained my weight loss for over 20 years. No need to cut out a food group if you want to KEEP your weight off :)