New Here and on 2nd day of slim fast diet

Options
Hi,

I have completed day two of my slim fast diet, so far so good. I am going to lose
20-23 pounds. I am 5' 11" tall and my goal weight is 160. I know I can do this,
making the decision to do this was the hardest step, I had told myself I would
not diet again.

I have been lucky, being tall, and having a great metabolism, I have not had
to watch my weight often. I have been on the slim fast diet three times in my
life but 10 years apart each time. I eat like a horse, always have, so I got
this 20 pounds by not controlling portion sizes at all, but that has changed.

I am excited to being doing this, to lose 20 pounds that has made me
uncomfortable in my daily life and I hope my age (53) will not make the
loss of pounds too difficult.

Replies

• Angiepackmom4
    Options
    Welcome. You will enjoy MFP. It's really helped me to stay in my calorie range.
    1591753.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Angiepackmom4
    Options
    Welcome. You will enjoy MFP. It's really helped me to stay in my calorie range.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome! I don't recommend Slimfast though, diets don't work! The only way to lose weight and most importantly KEEP it off is to make changes that you can stick with for life. Can you see yourself drinking Slimfast for breakfast every day for the rest of your life? Didn't think so! It's much better (and easier) to limit your calories but allow yourself to eat what you want!

Welcome to MFP :] I hope you find success, whatever route you take! You can do it!
  • wyldfyre
    wyldfyre Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have your portion control planned out so if Slim Fast works to get you going, go for it. You can do it!
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    misspenny,

I do enjoy the slimfast shakes. I am having those for breakfast and lunch and eating anything I want, with portion control,
    for dinner, so I can stick with it til I lose the weight, then I will be back in tune with proper portion sizes and will be able
    to continue living without dieting just by being sensible.
  • qwho
    Options
    thanks wyldfyre!
  • misspenny762
    Options
    misspenny,

I do enjoy the slimfast shakes. I am having those for breakfast and lunch and eating anything I want, with portion control,
    for dinner, so I can stick with it til I lose the weight, then I will be back in tune with proper portion sizes and will be able
    to continue living without dieting just by being sensible.

Hey, if you can do it, that's great! More power to ya! :]
  • qwho
    Options
    thanks misspenny! I know I can do it, and the slim fast works for now, cuz it helps me stay at 1200 calories a day,
    which is great for someone that was eating much much more and wants to drop some pounds, then I can go back
    to a maintenance that I would think will be at least 1800 calories a day.

Tell me about yourself. Are you trying to lose weight or are you already there?
  • misspenny762
    Options
    Well, my goal is 120 and my current weight is 137. So I'm in the process. But honestly the weight loss isn't nearly as important to me as just developing healthy habits that I can hopefully hold on to for the rest of my life. Before I started this, I hate whatever I wanted, which was TONS of junk food and chocolate and ice cream and carbs! I wasn't overweight, but I certainly wasn't as healthy as I could be with the stuff I was putting into my body! So I'm mainly here to train myself to eat better and exercise more... it seems to be working really well so far!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm with you misspenny, I am more interested in health then rapid weight loss. I'm in for the long haul. I do understand wanting a quick fix. But if I had to choose between skinny and healthy, it would be healthy hands down.
  • qwho
    Options
    I want to be healthy, but at my age, I have also learned life is short, and eating is one
    of the pleasures I do not want to forfeit. I feel great, I have no complaints in that
    department and I do not smoke or drink so those are two pluses as well. I am happy and that
    goes a long way too as does positive attitude.
  • islandnutshel
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound judgmental. Everyone is here for a reason, and I have learned so much from people's posts. We all have a similar goal, but different methods. All the power to you.
  • qwho
    Options
    Thanks Nutshel. Good luck to you too and any tips you can pass along to help
    me eat healthier without giving up all the foods I love. I do not eat fish, much
    fruit or fresh vegetables. I am addicted to diet pepsi (have been for 30 years)
    and most of the things I love and grew up eating are on the no lists ... so I
    make small changes where I can (low calorie/low fat/whole grains) and I
    think moderation in eating the things I should not will help too.
  • txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi and welcome. You will see that you can eat FOOD and log in everything you eat. I know slimfast may be easy but don't feel bad if you actually want to cook or plan a meal to take out the door on the way to work. This program is so easy to use and I LOVE to log in what I want to eat then sometimes I make changes because I see that the calories or carbs are too high. You do what is right for you and remember that we are all in the same boat here.
  • qwho
    Options
    thanks txtree.

Since I go to work early, leaving at 5 am or 6 am, every single day that I work, I eat two pop tarts, lol .It is only on my days off that I eat foods of my choice for breakfast. that is why the shakes work for me, I can mix and take to work to have later in the morning, and they are delicious and they work for me right now as a way to control my calories to achieve the weight loss. On work days dinner is always my favorite meal, the one I look forward to and enjoy and that is the one I still can plan for and enjoy, adjusting
    only portion sizes.
  • prisilla3321
    prisilla3321 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    good luck! 1659234.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have to say, I'm personally quite skeptical of diets like Slimfast, but reading through the thread it seems like you're doing it "responsibly"--good for you! I just wanted to point out that I like your idea of making changes where you can and enjoying what you want when it's appropriate... totally on par with a healthy, liveable lifestyle. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • qwho
    Options
    Thank you Sara!

I have lost weight before with SlimFast, and feel it will work for me again
    and it, along with a food journal, weighing and measuring what i am eating
    and as a result learning the proper protion sizes, will allow me, once I reach
    my goal to reintoduce breakfast and lunch with my now smaller portion dinners
    and should allow me to maintain my weight, at least that is my plan.

I do not believe in diets that deprive you of what you love. Eating is too much of
    a pleasure and too much a part of every day of our lives, to stick with something
    like that. I feel there is nothing I cannot have, as long as I work the calories for
    it into my daily allowance.

It looks, from your counter, that you are almost to your goal, congrats!
  • MINIETA27
    Options
    YOU ARE SO RIGHT, I WAS IN SLIM FAST FOR 3 WKS, I QUIT TODAY, I DON'T LOSE 2 LBS A WEEK BESIDE DE AFTER TASTE OF THE SHAKE AND BAR..IS PRETTY NASTY. THE ONLY POSITIVE THING IS THAT HELP ME HOW TO COUNT CALORIES AND STICK IN IT. NOW I JUST TRY TO EAT 1200-1300/DAY AND WORKOUT. THANK FOR YOUR POST!
    MARIA
  • islandnutshel
    Options
    Hi Qwho, just checking in to see how it's going? You've done slim fast befor so you must not mind the tase. Hang in there.