Workout advice

Options
I work out early in the morning, and then go to the gym about 2x/wk. I also try to get at least one run in on another day. Here is an example of the type of workouts I do (from today):
RI 30 week 1(with 50 push-ups)
After school, I did a strength workout of 4 sets of the following:
5 pull-ups
3 pistol squats each leg
20 push-ups with feet on big exercise ball
10 85lb Romanian dead lifts

Each morning, I do a video (like RI 30, but not always, sometimes it yoga or cardio). Afternoon workouts are similar to the one today, or half of the strength training with incline running as part of the circuit. I try to run 3-4 miles on the weekend, and sometimes another short run during the week. I'm wondering if this is balanced enough or if I'm missing some key elements. Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    no one?
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It might be overkill, unless the variety keeps you motivated. That is a lot of stuff to do. I prefer a simpler routine based around strength training and occasional running.
    Really the key is to create a program that you can stick to. This one seems to take quite a bit of time, so I worry that it will end up getting in the way of life.

I'm not sure what the RI30 workouts consist of, but you have some strength in there and you have some cardio. Your progress bar seems to indicate that you are at your weight goal already, so I would recommend setting yourself some fitness goals and going after those. Run a half marathon, a tough mudder, learn to dance, increase your weights and do strength training, pick up a martial art. Use your newly created body for something amazing!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention your goal(s). Did you want to join the olympics? Or just keep busy?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I don't have really specific goals. Last year, I wanted to become a better runner, be able to run 5 miles in under an hour, always run a 5k in 35 min or less. I've reached those goals. I also worked out even more over the spring and have scaled back. I want to be strong and fit, basically. I like doing my workout videos in the morning. If I had it my way, I'd probably go to the gym more days, but hubby says no. I like to get a run in on the weekends. Hey, if I could look like an Olympic gymnast, that would be great! I was just wanting to know if my strength routine is balanced or if I'm missing something.

RI in 30 is like 30 Day Shred: 3 minutes strength (I do it with 9lb hand weights), 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs, in three circuits. About a 25+ minute workout.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I don't have really specific goals. Last year, I wanted to become a better runner, be able to run 5 miles in under an hour, always run a 5k in 35 min or less. I've reached those goals. I also worked out even more over the spring and have scaled back. I want to be strong and fit, basically. I like doing my workout videos in the morning. If I had it my way, I'd probably go to the gym more days, but hubby says no. I like to get a run in on the weekends. Hey, if I could look like an Olympic gymnast, that would be great! I was just wanting to know if my strength routine is balanced or if I'm missing something.

RI in 30 is like 30 Day Shred: 3 minutes strength (I do it with 9lb hand weights), 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs, in three circuits. About a 25+ minute workout.

Hubby says no?? Good gosh is he your husband or your keeper? If you want to go to the gym, then go!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hubby says no?? Good gosh is he your husband or your keeper? If you want to go to the gym, then go!

my thoughts exactly!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

my thoughts exactly!

Huh. I must be the only one that didn't think that.

OP: What's the reason your husband says no to going to the gym more often?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    He didn't want me to go more often because I kept losing weight. I was eating a bunch, so he said we couldn't afford to feed me at that exercise level, lol:) Plus, exercising everyday, twice a day was a bit compulsive. So, we made an agreement that I go twice a week, sometimes for a third. But, if I lose more weight, he puts me on exercise restriction. He is not my keeper, just concerned that I not go overboard or OCD.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    On your routine, if you like strength training every day, it's better to use a split that lets the muscles rest for at least a day while you work different ones.

I think you can still do easy moves the next day, so things like pushups will depend on how easy they are for you and why you are doing them consecutively, imho. If you do fast, easy pushups for cardio or something, have at it ;) If you are doing them to build strength (with difficulty involved in the move), add some rest time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your routine is pretty solid... as long as its sufficiently challenging and you're enjoying it, I see no real need to change it.

You are doing a lot though... if you're happy, progressing and feel good, then keep at it. But you may want to cut back a little to make sure you are giving 100% to each workout. There's really no need to train 2x day, and in many cases it can take away from the eeffectiveness of your workouts.

• DancingMoosie
    Options
    Your routine is pretty solid... as long as its sufficiently challenging and you're enjoying it, I see no real need to change it.

You are doing a lot though... if you're happy, progressing and feel good, then keep at it. But you may want to cut back a little to make sure you are giving 100% to each workout. There's really no need to train 2x day, and in many cases it can take away from the eeffectiveness of your workouts.

Thank you. If I feel too worn out after a workout, or even during, I do scale back. For example, after doing pistol squats and Romanian dead lifts in my circuit training, my legs did not want to run (incline or not) so I didn't. I actually felt sore today in my glutes and hams, and a bit in my lats. But its ok because there was no workout tonight. I'm going to try the same workout again tomorrow. Its supposed to rain all weekend, so I might get my run in on the treadmill Thursday. Power lifting starts the week after Thanksgiving, so I'm gonna give that a go and see how I like it. There will be a coach and everything!
  • misstdg
    Options
    I have a fitness/exercise question. I am trying to lose 150 lbs. Four weeks ago I started walking, I was up to 1.6 miles everyday 6 days a week; however, my knees are KILLING me, the whole day is agony. I ice them, go to sleep and it is still uncomfortable but I continue my walk. Last Friday, I couldn't take the pain anymore. I believed it to be my sneakers (Avia) so I am looking for a suggestion for sneakers. Also, (two-part question) can anyone recommend a bike for one over 300lbs? Thanks in advance for any advice. //Tara
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Any mountain bike with a sturdy frame should be fine at that weight. They are made for taking bumps and jumps with a 200lb person on them, and you likely won't be doing that sort of thing right off the bat, so for normal riding they should be fine.

My shoe suggestion is going to be a strange one, but I run/walk in these: http://media.emercedesbenz.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/Vibram-FiveFingers-Komodo-Sport-LS-2.jpg

They have corrected my shin splints and the plantar fasciitis that I had coming out of basic training and barefoot walking is much better on your knees, though it is hell on your calf muscles at first. Here is the wikipedia article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running
  • misstdg
    Options
    Thanks, Mr.Stuart. Those are fantastic tips. I have already located a store near my home that carries the Vibram FiveFingers. So I am stoked! As for the bike, I am continually researching and looking for the right one - I will definitely try focusing on the mountain bike.

Many thanks and continued success.//Tara
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I increased the reps on my pistol squats to 4 per set and the weight on my Romanian dead lifts to 90lb. Tomorrow is my last day to use the gym before Thanksgiving break. Then powerlifting;)
    My workouts today:
    (am) Hi/Lo 2 w/abs - 21 min.
    (pm) strength circuit - 4 sets: 5 pull-ups, 4 pistol squats each leg, 20 push-ups w/feet on big exercise ball, 10 90lb Romanian dead lifts