Just started HIIT...and I suck really bad :(

Options
I weight lift 3x a week and just added HIIT 1-2x a week on my off day. Just began today and I feel so out of shape and I feel like I really suck. I felt the burn and I couldn't keep up with the video...I had to kinda rest a bit longer or try to do jump rope or run in place when I couldn't so more burpees or squats.

Was I cheating?? I feel bad that I didn't keep up even close lol.

Here was the routine. Each was 8 rounds...
30 seconds high knees
10 seconds rest
Repeat 7 more times

1 min rest

30 second burpees
10 seconds rest
Repeat 7 more times

I followed this pattern with squats, mountain climbers, and jumping jacks. This took 20 minutes...

Then I did a light jog on the treadmill for 5-6 minutes...

Did I do enough?? Did anyone else suck like me??

Replies

• kelerlee33
    Options
    It not a bad start keep with in a month you will see a lot of improvement
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    since HIIT and weights tax the body and CNS in the same way, it's probably best to not not get in the habit of doing hiit on your " rest" days or else you aren't giving your body adequate recovery time.

in terms of intensity, just work according to what's manageably uncomfortable (it is HIIT after all :laugh: ) and you will continue to get better
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right! Tabata and HIIT are supposed to be soul crushingly hard! As your condition improves you should just be able to do more, but you should STILL feel like you are about to keel over every time. The very essence of them is that you stress your cardio system and completely deplete your glycogen reserves in an oxygen starved environment. (You did feel oxygen starved, right?)
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Indeed…if you did Hiit or any idea there of on your "rest day" it's not a rest day.

Plus you're doing a video workout, which I despise for various reasons... but nonetheless…

True HIIT is something that one has to progress into. Certainly if you haven't been doing a certain protocol your initial go at it should be expected to be modified. There's no need to discuss the idea of "cheating"

True HIIT should pretty much be hell for the "purported" benefits, which are growing increasingly more marginal against the increased risk of injury combined with general non compliance.

So it was Hiit for you where you're at. As time progresses, you'll have to push the envelope. Be careful as the risk of injury increases while doing hiit.
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So when am I SUPPOSED to do HIIT? On the same day I lift?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Everyone sucks the first time they do it. But trust me, you will see improvement SO fast!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Here's what I tell people... often the question is "when does it get easier?"

It doesn't- you just suck less.

And that's the god's honest truth. you literally just suck less. It's always hard- it's never easy- and you still lay on the floor gasping for breath. :D

good job- welcome to a nice new addiction LOL
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Yes.

However, what do you hope to achieve by incorporating HIIT into your routine?
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    HIIT is awesome. If it's NOT hard you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to be dead tired at the end of your workout. I'd say keep at it and it'll get easier but that's not the intent.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A year ago I sucked at push ups. I kept doing them and now I don't suck at it anymore. Stick with it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    funny-jake-adventure-time-sucking-something-first-step-good-pics.jpg
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    HIIT hurts, period. I sucked at it and pretty much everything I started exercise-wise, and now I'm better, and will continue to improve. Just keep going.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Listen doing HIIT, or Cardio, works the same way as lifting. You don't start out with tons of weight, you start light and work up.

So the point of HIIT is to max out on an interval, rest, then max out again, etc... True max effort cardio (not to be confused with just "hard" or "tiring yourself out", but really pushing the envelope, like a truely all out sprint).

If your current level of conditioning means that "maxing out" you can only do half of whatever video you're doing, then you're still doing it right.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    When was the last time you did something for the first time and you didn't suck?

Besides don't measure yourself against some workout video. Measure yourself against yourself. Then improve each day.
  • Thommothebear
    Thommothebear Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do HIT cardio work, mostly on waterrower machines, intervals up to 95% max HR. I could manage roughly 10 minutes when I started (in fact I almost threw up) 2 months later I was doing 45 minute sessions no problem, just keep at it.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    All about making slow consistent progress. If in a month from now you're able to go longer and harder than you are today, you're doing it right.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You'll continue to get better and better and better. Each time you'll be able to do a bit more. you will be surprised. When I did Insanity (and right now I'm doing Focus T25) if I can't do the moves that they are currently doing (sometimes my knees give me some problems) I do moves that I've seen in that program specifically. We all are going to have moves that we like better than some. So if I wanna do mountain climbers to keep my heart rate up because I can't do another burpee then I see no problem! Keep it up!
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So I do a boot camp class that basically consist of what you described. When I start out I can barely complete most things without having to do a modified version of a lot of the exercises. As I get better I can actually do all of the moves appropriately but still feel like I am going to die. The point of the class is for it to be intense each time. Those who have been doing it for a while add more to the moves or do the moves quicker in order to get the intensity. It is kinda fun seeing myself get stronger. I like the class because there are plenty of people to inspire me to get stronger and I am always amazed at how far I have come. I began even modifying jumping jacks (they hurt my knees). Just remember to keep moving. There is no cheating just keep going with what you can do and you will get stronger. Look for modifications for some of the ones that are harder until you can get through it all. I always feel like dying in the middle of the workout and wonder why I started but at the end I feel great.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Versus what most people do, this is HIIT at it's best and most effective. When he drops the weight, the cycle's wheel immediately jumps up to full resistance. Max effort at it's best.

Wingates:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af1J7bHGxyY
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Yes.

However, what do you hope to achieve by incorporating HIIT into your routine?

better endurance, lose some last bit of body fat on my lower abs.

Thanks everyone and I liked that adventure time pic quote lol

I don't see what's wrong with doing it on a non lift day though....