eggplant

Options
daisylou
daisylou Posts: 118
I grew eggplant in my garden this summer and need some healthy ideas on what to do with it. Suggestions????

Replies

• jalc
    jalc Posts: 5
    Options
    Make Baba Ganoush. It is kind of like Hummus but made with egg plant. Very tasty.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    mmm....grill it and mix it will pasta. or grill it and make veggie sliders.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I vote for bbq. Drizzle with olive oil and pepper & rock salt. Grill like a steak. Very yummy, so is asperigus this way.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been getting a ton in my CSA. For a quick easy dinner I saute it with tomatoes, garlic, onion and a little olive oil and throw it over 2 oz of whole wheat pasta.

I also pickle it, thanks to this easy recipe from my MIL: Peel and chop it (unless it's the chinese variety, in which case leave the peel on). Salt it generously to drain the water out of it. After a few hours of draining, boil it in white vinegar for ONE minute only. Drain the vinegar and add the eggplant to a jar with light olive oil, fresh garlic and fresh basil. Soooo yummy! I haven't made that since I started counting calories, but I'm sure if you have a little at a time it won't hurt too much. Plus it's a healthy fat :)
  • msprez2006
    Options
    Everytime I try to Eggplant it comes out watery...any suggestions?
  • antiadipose
    Options
    i just roasted some tonight!

slice it up. salt. spray olive oil. roast!
    i then either use salsa (yes the chips and salsa kind)
    or sliced tomatoes.
    and SOMETIMES if my calories are low that day ill add mozzarella and roast some more.

baba ganoush can be very healthy! its a light dip .. look it up and modify it.
  • antiadipose
    Options
    also sometimes i roast it and put it in pita as if it was my meat. add tomatoes, lettuce, yogurt dressing. YUM!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Everytime I try to Eggplant it comes out watery...any suggestions?

Slice it, then salt the slices and place them in a colander in the sink. That will drain the water out of it.
  • DeuCeNTX
    DeuCeNTX Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    how are you cooking it? sometimes if you are doing a saute, some veggies will release a lot of their juices if your pan is not hot enough. or possibly the eggplant is "over-ripe" and on the verge of going bad? might be too mushy... however chances are it's fixable. doing what xonophone says is a great idea as well... salting the eggplant, squash, zucchini, even onions will draw some of the moisture out prior to cooking and allow them to brown better and not get mushy
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    how are you cooking it? sometimes if you are doing a saute, some veggies will release a lot of their juices if your pan is not hot enough. or possibly the eggplant is "over-ripe" and on the verge of going bad? might be too mushy... however chances are it's fixable. doing what xonophone says is a great idea as well... salting the eggplant, squash, zucchini, even onions will draw some of the moisture out prior to cooking and allow them to brown better and not get mushy

Yes salting it works wonders. Salt both sides, lay it on a cookie sheet, set the cookie sheet at a slight angle (allows fluid to drain), and leave it for about 30 mins.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Salt and drain as told above. Place 1/4 inch slices on tray, brush with oil, salt and pepper and a little curry powder. Grill bot sides on barbecue. Grill good quality bread on bbq. Layer toasted bread, grilled eggplant,thinly sliced feta cheese, ripe tomato drizzle wi:drinker: th good quality extra virgin olive oil. Serve with a red wine. Impressive, easy and elegant enough for a party.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I've been getting a ton in my CSA. For a quick easy dinner I saute it with tomatoes, garlic, onion and a little olive oil and throw it over 2 oz of whole wheat pasta.
    Sounds wonderful! Thanks:flowerforyou:

I've got some some great veggies coming in my CSA box now as well and was looking for ideas, perfect timing for this thread!:drinker:
    I definitely have everything for the above... I'll try it out:wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    lol Made me smile when I saw this, reminds me of the wonderful movie and Remy!:laugh:

OMG, just looked at the site, lovely picture, so presentable, it's beautiful with all the veggie colors!!

Glad you shared :)
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just made a healthier version of Eggplant Parmesan from a recipe I found in my Prevention magazine ~ September 2010 issue and I have to say...it was delish! My husband is Italian and can cook great Italian food and when he complimented how much flavor it had, I knew I would be making it again. Copy and paste the link below to your browser. I added a little more fresh garlic when I made it.

http://www.prevention.com/health/cook/everyday-recipes/light-and-luscious-eggplant-parmesan/article/7b96dbf69fbf9210VgnVCM10000030281eac____

~ Enjoy!
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I cut up chicken breast and cut up eggplant in chunks and sautee it in the pan with pam , add tumeric a little salt and pepper, and mushrooms. Then I add generic spagetti sauce and bring the spagetti sauce back to a boil. I fix whole wheat pasta, and mix the chicken in with the pasta. Sometimes my girls will put a little parmesian cheese on theirs, but I don't. Other than the pizza, this is my girls favorite meal. They will actually ask me to fix it. Last night at Supper, my oldest asked how did you even fix Chicken parmesian the unhealthy way, this stuff is good, and my girls say they would eat it every day. Healthy eatting can be good!
  • antiadipose
    Options
    OMG!! thats all i can say!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I cut up chicken breast and cut up eggplant in chunks and sautee it in the pan with pam , add tumeric a little salt and pepper, and mushrooms. Then I add generic spagetti sauce and bring the spagetti sauce back to a boil. I fix whole wheat pasta, and mix the chicken in with the pasta. Sometimes my girls will put a little parmesian cheese on theirs, but I don't. Other than the pizza, this is my girls favorite meal. They will actually ask me to fix it. Last night at Supper, my oldest asked how did you even fix Chicken parmesian the unhealthy way, this stuff is good, and my girls say they would eat it every day. Healthy eatting can be good!
    You're worth a bump on your own!!:laugh: