Bloating & Distention

Options
I get a significant amount of abdominal bloating and distention with most everything I eat, regardless of whether or not I eat a large or a small meal.
My BMs are not "regular" (at the risk of full disclosure): Often labourous and infrequent.
A dietician suggested more fibre ... check.
A doctor told me it was OK to use Restoralax regularly ... no bueno.
I don't know if I have a sensitivity to certain foods, because I've never actually eliminated anything from my diet.

Basically, what I am asking is: Is there a certain food, combination of foods that will assist in the relief of bloating and/or distention? I'd like to do my best to diminish/control it naturally.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not looking for a "quick fix" or a "fad." I've changed my lifestyle with the assistance of MFP over the past 21 months and have learned a great deal. I just can't find anything that works in this regard.

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You haven't ever eliminated anything from your diet?

Well you may want to start...right there.

Start eliminating things from your diet.

What does your diet look like?
  • Have you ever been tested for Coelics disease or lactose intollerance?
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options

eggs
    milk, mostly in cooking only
    bread
    lots of vegetables, mostly green
    lots of beans
    cereal - oatmeal, bran flakes, special k
    cheese
    fruits, not a wackload
    water+++++++
    meat - mostly white, 2-4x week
    potatoes
    butter
    pasta
    salsa
    grains - rice, couscous, quinoa
    soup
    chips
    candy here and there
    yogurt

... i could go on and on: what are we trying to identify here?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    When I was eating lactose, I got really bloated and distended. The only thing that is not lactose free that I can have is Dannon yogurt. All other yogurts give me a tummy ache and make be bloated. So, I would cut out he lactose and look for lactose free products in their place.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

eggs
    milk, mostly in cooking only
    bread
    lots of vegetables, mostly green
    lots of beans
    cereal - oatmeal, bran flakes, special k
    cheese
    fruits, not a wackload
    water+++++++
    meat - mostly white, 2-4x week
    potatoes
    butter
    pasta
    salsa
    grains - rice, couscous, quinoa
    soup
    chips
    candy here and there
    yogurt

... i could go on and on: what are we trying to identify here?

Dairy. Wheat. Eggs. Beans.

There are a lot of elements in your diet that commonly give people gastrointestinal issues. The obvious move here is to start eliminating things in your diet, one or two at a time, then waiting a couple of weeks to see if your symptoms improve.

Personally I'd start with dairy and wheat. Zero dairy and zero wheat for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    Gluten intolerance (Celiac's, or just intolerance) can definitely also cause bloating, distention, generalized intestinal distress, and your diet has lots of wheat-based foods in it.

I am not at all a fan of fad diets, and am a passionate foodie, so am the last person to want to give up any kind of food. I had the same symptoms you describe for years (I thought that bloating and discomfort was just what happened when I ate, a normal part of digestion.). Turns out I'm allergic to gluten. As long as I don't eat it, no bloating, no looking like I'm six months pregnant with distention, everything moves along normally.

Might be worth trying systematically eliminating specific foods just to see.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Going to go with Jonythan on this. Cut out dairy and see if that helps. If that doesn't fix it...you may have a problem with gluten. Cut out wheat products.