Almond Milk

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    We don't have the same taste buds, buy it and find out.

I get the Aldi brand since it is $2.49 all the time.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I like it. Wish i had it around when i was a kid, i hate regular milk. I recommend Blue Diamond Almond milk.

Full disclosure: My grandparents own an almond orchard and sell their almonds to Blue Diamond. :wink:

Haha, your disclosure made me laugh.

I LOVE ALMOND milk. I am eating plant based, so I have not done regular milk in a long time, and have tried a lot of alternatives, but almond milk is by far my favorite. I also use the unsweetened kind that is 30 calories a cup. It is a a lot of tasty goodness for hardly any calories! It does not have much protein ( I think the kind I use has 1g), but I get that other places.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I buy Blue Diamond original. Not vanilla. Not unsweetened. Just original. It's 60 calories per cup with way more Calcium than cow's milk.

I use it in my protein shakes, cereal, oatmeal, coffee etc and it doesn't alter the taste/flavor at all IMO.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

1. Is it healthier than regular white milk?
    2. What does it taste like?

Just asking because it's on sale at the grocery store right now, haha.

Two answers:

1. It is WAY healthier than milk. I have no desire to drink breast milk from an animal. plus, almonds have a great many nutritional benefits.
    2. It tastes like almonds. but so much better. if you get the vanilla unsweetened or the original unsweeted, it's super low-cal which leaves SO much more room for other foods. You can also get almond coconut milk. or almond hazelnut milk. or soy milk (chocolate soy milk tastes like a melted milk shake - delicious). SO many options, and SO freakin' good for you.

Sorry, just to clarify...it is NO 'healthier' than milk.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love it! Silk makes a Dark Chocolate kind that is AMAZING! Even my kids like it!
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Definitely try it, I really like almond milk, it has less calories than cow's milk if you get the unsweetened version ::
  • queezle_sister
    queezle_sister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use both. An interesting take on almond milk is here:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/why-i-stopped-drinking-almond-milk-started-drinking-regular-milk-again-197085

I often purchase milk from a small local dairy, and I like my $$ going to support farms (I like seeing fields with dairy cows). But if its between generic milk and almond, I select the almond.

For me, I do not notice the almond flavor, The almond milk is more watery than cow's milk, even skim, but that does not bother me.
  • ra1williamson
    ra1williamson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love it! I drink the original and use the unsweetened in cereal.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk a lot. My favorite brands are Aldi and Trader Joe's. I buy the plain, original (but sweetened at 60 cal/cup). Haven't tried the vanilla or original unsweetened.

Apparantly need to try coconut...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

1. That depends on your definition of 'healthy'. I personally find milk more nutritious overall.
    2. Water.

Just drink water. Or coconut cream.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Love it. It replaces all milk in my house with the exception of milk needed to cook. Unless you get vanilla flavored it tastes like liquid almonds and it's much lower in calories. I don't like to drink my calories so when I do I'd rather reach for the 40 calories in a cup of almond milk than the 90 in a cup of skim milk.

ETA: I only drink unsweetened. The sweetened is a bit too sweet for me.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love it! Love it! even have my kids hooked on it :) I use Blue Diamond, unsweetened vanilla 30 cal. Use it in shakes, cereal, make chocolate milk ect... :)
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Vanilla almond milk is great! It's like a melted milkshake. I drink it straight, use in cereal & oatmeal. I tried the plain, unsweetened almond milk & didn't much care for it. My husband, who is not a milk drinker, even likes it. 90 calories a cup.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I don't have any condition that requires me to cut lactose or dairy so I never saw the use but my BF has a skin condition and needed to remove dairy from his diet. He uses Almond or coconut milk. He says it's not so bad but misses milk and cream.

Personally I am so glad I don't have to restrict it cause honestly I love my coffee with cream way too much to use Almond milk :laugh:

I guess try it and you'll see!
  • nikki_tjinadjie
    Options
    YES I DRINK UNSWEETENED VANILLA ITS THE BEST AND HAS DOUBLE THE CALCIUM OF REGULAR MILK AND ONLY 30 cals!
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    They sell single servings (like Horizon vanilla milk does) at Kroger where I live, you should pick one up and try it out! I personally like Vanilla unsweetened
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes and it has more protein and you don't have to worry about being lactose intolerant.

It taste awesome.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

Two answers:

1. It is WAY healthier than milk. I have no desire to drink breast milk from an animal. plus, almonds have a great many nutritional benefits.
    2. It tastes like almonds. but so much better. if you get the vanilla unsweetened or the original unsweeted, it's super low-cal which leaves SO much more room for other foods. You can also get almond coconut milk. or almond hazelnut milk. or soy milk (chocolate soy milk tastes like a melted milk shake - delicious). SO many options, and SO freakin' good for you.

WRONG. 2 seconds of research will prove almond milk is healthier than cow's milk - on so many levels.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-healthier-choice-almond-milk-vs-milk.html

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/almond-milk-vs-skim-milk.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/almond-milk-vs-dairy-milk-why-made-switch-12094642.html

http://www.totalmommyfitnessonline.com/cows-milk-almond-milk-healthier/

you're welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

Two answers:

WRONG. 2 seconds of research will prove almond milk is healthier than cow's milk - on so many levels.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-healthier-choice-almond-milk-vs-milk.html

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/almond-milk-vs-skim-milk.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/almond-milk-vs-dairy-milk-why-made-switch-12094642.html

http://www.totalmommyfitnessonline.com/cows-milk-almond-milk-healthier/

you're welcome. :flowerforyou:

False. You cannot 'prove' anything in science, and if you're going to try anyway, please link to real studies not health and fitness articles.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    They sell single servings (like Horizon vanilla milk does) at Kroger where I live, you should pick one up and try it out! I personally like Vanilla unsweetened

Excellent idea for trying it out!!

I plan to try the unsweetened. I bought sweetened vanilla almond milk from Aldi, and my husband and I went through the entire half gallon in 3 days because it was crazy delicious but more like a "treat" not regular for drinking, cereal, smoothies...at least too sweet and flavorful for those uses in my opinion.

The one thing I was very disappointed by is its shelf life. Once opened, it lasts no longer than dairy milk. For some odd reason I had it in my head that almond milk would last for weeks due to not being a dairy product...that would have been a major draw for me, if true.