How do you cook leeks?

Options
mrsjobba2
mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
Just wondered this as all the recipes I have contain lots of butter or cream !

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I normally saute them in butter to be honest! You don't need a lot and it's delicious. Another way is to griddle them in a griddle pan (cut them lengthways, blanch them for 2-3 minutes, then griddle until they get nice black lines on them).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cut them into rounds and boil or steam.
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would definately go boil or steam with a pinch of salt, probably steam for better flavour? Who needs butter? Leeks rock!
    billy x
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try leaving out all the butter and cream and simply slice finely then fry on a low heat in about 1tsp of olive oil.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For fat free, I would slice into 1" rounds and steam (boiling will leave them a bit waterlogged).

For low fat, I would suggest using a non stick pan with a well fitting lid. Finely shred the leeks. Heat pan over a medium temperature. One or two teaspoons of oil and gently saute for a few minutes- you could add a dash of salt too which will help the leeks release moisture. Then put on the lid and allow to finish braising in own moisture.
  • dragoncake79
    Options
    chopping them roughly and frying them with garlic, onions and olive oil is delicious!

Leek soup is so cleansing!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Chop em and put them in any kind of soup.

Chop em, steam em and mix with quinoa and some nuts!

Chop em, fry em in your favourite low cal cooking spray or butter/oil and have as a side (also really nice with some cream cheese added in the end as sauce, don't bring it to the boil once cheese added)
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For low fat, I would suggest using a non stick pan with a well fitting lid. Finely shred the leeks. Heat pan over a medium temperature. One or two teaspoons of oil and gently saute for a few minutes- you could add a dash of salt too which will help the leeks release moisture. Then put on the lid and allow to finish braising in own moisture.

As above, but also try adding other greens when sautéing - sliced zuchinni, shredded cabbage, a handful of frozen peas - whatever you have to hand. I use a tiny amount of oil and sometimes add a sprinkle of vegetable stock powder and/or a splash of white wine.

I'm not too keen on plain boiled or steamed leeks but they are lovely braised in stock with some garlic and thyme.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I roast mine. I chop them into 1/2 inch rounds and spray them in a bit of oil.
  • OatFloats
    Options
    Cut into rounds, steamed, and drizzled with a bit of olive oil, a fresh squeeze of lemon, and a dash of salt.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good tips, especially the dash of wine! A squeeze of lemon juice would also be an option if you don't keep alcohol in the house.

As above, but also try adding other greens when sautéing - sliced zuchinni, shredded cabbage, a handful of frozen peas - whatever you have to hand. I use a tiny amount of oil and sometimes add a sprinkle of vegetable stock powder and/or a splash of white wine.

I'm not too keen on plain boiled or steamed leeks but they are lovely braised in stock with some garlic and thyme.
  • stephiecat
    stephiecat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make a roux sauce, in a separate pan lightly fry in butter and then once they are cook through add to the roux sauce, must add pepper :) YUMMO - You could have this as a one treat for loosing a kilo
    :bigsmile:
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    dont cook. cut and put it in salad. with avocado tomatoes parmesan cheese and a steak :)
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love potato leek soup personally. I usually heat some butter or oil in a pot, add sliced leeks and minced garlic, cooking until soft and fragrant. Toss in finely diced potatoes (so they cook quicker) and then add enough stock to cover the potatoes. Throw in a bay leaf and a generous cracking of fresh black pepper. Simmer until the potatoes are soft. Blend the soup (I like a partial blend so there are still chunks of potato) and add a touch of cream. Shredded sharp cheddar is awesome too. If you're not vegetarian like me you could also put some crumbled bacon on top.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Cut them into rounds and boil or steam.

This. or microwave.
  • san0322
    san0322 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Leeks are awesome in any soup. Like the previous poster said, potato leek soup is awesome. I just made some on Sunday. You just need to make sure you wash the leeks well.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Cut in half lengthwise and boil to make a soup. At the end of the day take it out of the soup and roast it.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    My favourite leek recipe:

Roasted Leeks and Apples, serves four. 152 calories per serving

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons white wine(*)
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon anise seeds
    3 large leeks, white and tender green parts
    1 Granny Smith apple
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
    2. Whisk together the oil, wine, honey and herbs in a medium backing pan until combined. Quarter the leeks and slice into 2" pieces. Add the leeks and apple to the dressing, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
    3. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring gently about every 10 minutes, until the leeks are golden and the apple is soft.

(*) If you don't have wine you can use lemon juice or even some vinegar. Though, I would use less vinegar. What you need is an acid.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I slice mine and steam them with cabbage or other greens. Or slice them and use them instead of onions in stews and casseroles.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    They are just like a milder onion. Use them in place of onions, I like to saute them up with some garlic.