Am I doing Too Much Training?

Options
Hi All,
I am wondering what you all think as to if I am training to much? The reason for asking is I continuously have a lot of calories left over at the end of the day to consume, Although I feel I am full enough to not need anymore to eat. I feel really full.
A quick snap shot. I am currently 83kg goal weight is 82kg. I am still soft around the stomach area.I wish to build definition and toning, I train 6 days a weeks as I enjoy it so much. Currently 3 days cardio & 3 days weights. I have been told I need to build more muscle mass to continue to loss the last stubborn fat areas around my stomach as muscle will burn more fat and I will continue to maintain a weight around the 82-84kg.
Below is an average day on MFP.
Goal 1640( this is to loss .5kg week), Food 1933, Exercise 1648 = 285 net. Calories remaining 1355. I continuously have over 1000 each day left over.
Currently using a fitbit as a step and exercise counter.

Replies

• JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but since your so close to your goal you should do more weight training than cardio. Have the food drop the bodyfat %. What I do is go to www.iifym.com and do the calculater there. Currently I should eat 2200 calories considering an average of training 3 times a day. I set up MFP to be at 2200 and if I log my exercise I dont eat back the calories as 2200 has already got the exercise worked into it.

But definitely work harder with weights and try to consume much of your calories with protein.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you're seriously burning 1600 calories a day with exercise, you need to eat more.
  • tangy1
    tangy1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Just a extra add on. I had a body fat scan done last week that measure the depth of fat to the muscle. I came in at 24% body fat. I feel I would like to get this down to the low teens.
  • tangy1
    Options
  • tangy1
    Options
    If you're seriously burning 1600 calories a day with exercise, you need to eat more.

Thats my thoughts as well, the fitbit is set up and paired correctly to MFP. I feel I can't eat anymore than I already am unless I eat a higher carb diet.
    I should add thats 1600 burn through out the whole day as per the fitbit. I am on my feet most of the day with work plus the training.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am wondering what you all think as to if I am training to much? The reason for asking is I continuously have a lot of calories left over at the end of the day to consume, Although I feel I am full enough to not need anymore to eat. I feel really full.
    A quick snap shot. I am currently 83kg goal weight is 82kg. I am still soft around the stomach area.I wish to build definition and toning, I train 6 days a weeks as I enjoy it so much. Currently 3 days cardio & 3 days weights. I have been told I need to build more muscle mass to continue to loss the last stubborn fat areas around my stomach as muscle will burn more fat and I will continue to maintain a weight around the 82-84kg.
    Below is an average day on MFP.
    Goal 1640( this is to loss .5kg week), Food 1933, Exercise 1648 = 285 net. Calories remaining 1355. I continuously have over 1000 each left over.
    Currently using a fitbit as a step and exercise counter.

My question would be....is 1648 your fitbit adjustment, or the TDEE shown on your fitbit? It sounds to me like it is the TDEE, and you wouldn't HAVE a fitbit adjustment. You might be actually eating more than you should!
  • tangy1
    Options
    What is TDEE? Activity level on MFP is set at sedentary and all activity is set by the fitbit unless it is extreme exercise like today where I did 1 hour of Body attack at the gym.
    It is fitbit adjustment.
    Cheers.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE? Activity level on MFP is set at sedentary and all activity is set by the fitbit unless it is extreme exercise like today where I did 1 hour of Body attack at the gym.
    Cheers.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure

I also have a fitbit. When I click through it, it said that I had burned 2388 calories by the end of the day. That was NOT what I burned at the gym ( my heart rate monitor said 1000 calories), that was my TDEE.
  • tangy1
    Options
    All my details from the fitbit are synced with MFP if i do any more in tense exercise in enter that on MFP.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn that many calories???
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn that many calories???

That equates to about 90 minutes of running
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having issues with your gadget. There is no way you are burning 1600 cals from weightlifting and you would have to be running at a pretty good pace or for a long time to burn that much running.

What are you doing for cardio and lifting and how long?

ETA: Just for reference I burn about 630 calories for an hour of vigorous calisthenics and around 210 caloies for and hour of weightlifting.
  • tangy1
    Options
    All my details from the fitbit are synced with MFP if i do any more in tense exercise in enter that on MFP.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Something is wrong somewhere. I am guessing with the 1648 number. That is a ridiculous amount of calories everyday.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    1600 burn for weightlifting? What are you doing on the gym? Running a half marathon on a treadmill with a 45 plate strapped to your back?
  • tangy1
    Options
    Sounds like you are having issues with your gadget. There is no way you are burning 1600 cals from weightlifting and you would have to be running at a pretty good pace or for a long time to burn that much running.

What are you doing for cardio and lifting and how long?

ETA: Just for reference I burn about 630 calories for an hour of vigorous calisthenics and around 210 caloies for and hour of weightlifting.
    As an example. Yesterday I was up at 5am. Did 1hour les mills Body Attack which is a very high intensity cardio class. For the rest of the day I am constantly on my feet walking almost continuously while at work for 8 hours.
    Yesterday as an example I covered 22,000 steps and 17.55km, 80 min active minutes, 3786 cal. This is from my fitbit.
  • tangy1
    Options
    1600 burn for weightlifting? What are you doing on the gym? Running a half marathon on a treadmill with a 45 plate strapped to your back?

I have not stated anywhere this is from weightlifting. Details quoted above where from a purely cardio day. I do not enter anything for weight training on the days I do it.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It is fitbit adjustment.
    Cheers.

Why are you set to sedentary when you said you burn calories with your active job?
    I burn about 400 cals doing a really intensive hour of circuit training and 320 playing an hour of badminton.
    Your 1600 cals must include the cals you burn to breathe and stay alive, which is your BMR. Mine is about 1500 if I lay in my bed and did nothing all day. If you are already really fit you will burn less so maybe you burn 1200 plus a 400 cal workout?
    I eat approx 1800-2300 cals per day as I am in temporary maintenance. Which equals my BMR plus exercise. So I stay the same weight but because I lift heavy weights I lose fat and gain lean tissue.

Don't obsess about losing two kilos, go on what you see in the mirror and how you feel. I would reduce your cardio too, or drop it altogether in favour of interval training, but that's just my personal preference for building muscle and burning fat.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

I have not stated anywhere this is from weightlifting. Details quoted above where from a purely cardio day. I do not enter anything for weight training on the days I do it.

Oh, I must have been mixed up by your post saying you do 3 days cardio and 3 days weights with your average day burning around 1600 range.
  • tangy1
    Options
    It is fitbit adjustment.
    Cheers.

Why are you set to sedentary when you said you burn calories with your active job?
    I burn about 400 cals doing a really intensive hour of circuit training and 320 playing an hour of badminton.
    Your 1600 cals must include the cals you burn to breathe and stay alive, which is your BMR. Mine is about 1500 if I lay in my bed and did nothing all day. If you are already really fit you will burn less so maybe you burn 1200 plus a 400 cal workout?
    I eat approx 1800-2300 cals per day as I am in temporary maintenance. Which equals my BMR plus exercise. So I stay the same weight but because I lift heavy weights I lose fat and gain lean tissue.

Don't obsess about losing two kilos, go on what you see in the mirror and how you feel. I would reduce your cardio too, or drop it altogether in favour of interval training, but that's just my personal preference for building muscle and burning fat.

I use the the fitbit to enter all my activity as this is more accurate for me than guessing. if I do a big cardio workout I also enter that to MFP. I consider myself to be very cardio fit.