Very amature jogger here

Options
I just started jogging. I like to do a walk/jog on our local path which when I'm finished I will have completed about 2 miles. Last week I started I pulled my hamstring but I managed to still keep walking. I gave myself a break on the weekend and that seemed to help the hamstring but now when I run I feel as if I get shin splints in both of my legs...which are very painful and they force me to walk the rest of the time. I don't want to just walk.

Can anyone give me any advice on what they do? What type of shoes do you recommend? Or any other bits of advice you could give me would be great!

Thanks,
Michelle

Replies

• Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    good pair of running shoes will help and don't push yourself too hard.
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    well i am not a professional but have gone through your pain i only now just realized for me what was best, first i have an iphone so i started the couch to 5 k which really helps because it builds you up, and you must must must stretch before and after or you will be sorry, and your shins will let you know. do every other day building yourself up to it, and as far as shoes goes i got fitted for mine and it works wonders they know if you are under or over pronating. i am on week 4 and it is getting easier and i a have no shin splints like i used to.
  • GuamMom
    GuamMom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nike are the best for high arches I have found. The shin splints go away in time as your body adjust, try slowly building the time you jogg, walking is a very easy way to burn the same cals, w/o the strain on the body. Apx. 100 calories per mile. Good luck to you!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Please go to your local running store. They should look at your bare feet standing, and then watch you walk several paces. They should then bring out several recommended shoes for you. Ignore the price tag for a few moments and try them all on. You should also be able to try them on with an appropriate sock. I don't work at a running store, but I have coached and been a runner all my life (until spending the last four years trying to get pregnant, being pregnant, etc.). A running specialty store knows shoes and people's feet...go to them!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    For shoes, definitely go to a speciality running store. Shoe fit is a very individual thing, and what works for one person won't necessary work for another.

In regards to the shin splints, are you able to run on grass? Running on pavement is very hard on the body and legs especially. If you can run on grass (or sand) it will take a bit of the stress off. After a few weeks you should be able to start running on pavement again. Also, remember to stretch out you calves and shins. If they're tight to start with you won't be doing yourself any favours. If the pain doesn't go away, go see a sports physiotherapist. They'll be able to treat the soreness and give you some stretches or exercises to help with the problem.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    I have had shin splints my entire life (due to very low arches). This is what I've learned:

- Ditto on the running store. It is worth every penny.
    - If it is still bad, you could consider seeing an orthopedist. Mine was able to write a Rx for custom insoles so my insurance will cover them.

And the number one rule: SLOW DOWN. It is really hard to force yourself to slow down and work up to it but the biggest thing I've learned it you need to build slowly so your muscles/joints/ligaments have time to adjust to this new exercise. Running/jogging is brutal on your legs, especially if you are not used to it.
    I started Couch to 5K (C25K) last winter. The first workouts were very easy but I held back and only ran when told, took off every other day as directed to allow my legs to recover... AND IT WORKED. This is the first time in my life I can run without pain and I attribute that to following a program that forced me to slowly build.

There are lots of running programs on the internet. Good names include Jeff Galloway and C25K, and there are tons of podcasts (I like Nicole Blum) to make it even easier. Find a program that fits you, and STICK TO IT. Resist that temptation to run on your day off. :wink:

Congrats of joining MFP and your effort to start jogging. I wish you the best of luck and pain-free legs. :flowerforyou:
  • MickeyLeigh
    Options
    Thank you everyone and I will do everything you say....I do think I may be pushing myself too much as I have never ran in my life. Thank you again for all of your help!

Michelle
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging. I like to do a walk/jog on our local path which when I'm finished I will have completed about 2 miles. Last week I started I pulled my hamstring but I managed to still keep walking. I gave myself a break on the weekend and that seemed to help the hamstring but now when I run I feel as if I get shin splints in both of my legs...which are very painful and they force me to walk the rest of the time. I don't want to just walk.

Can anyone give me any advice on what they do? What type of shoes do you recommend? Or any other bits of advice you could give me would be great!

Thanks,
    Michelle

If you can find somewhere to run that is on grass or a soft surface, it can virtually stop the shinsplints. Running on concrete or the hard pavement causes immense shock to your feet and legs.

Personally I have Sorbothane insoles in my trainers, they take away 90% of the shock caused by running on hard surfaces. They are expensive for insoles but have a life of 10 years. Having said all that, I no longer run outside anyway, only on my much-loved treadmill. I :heart: my treadmill :love:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    specialty store for running shoes
    warm-up well before beginning to pound the pavement
    alternate between walking (more) and running (less) and build up your running over time rather than diving right in
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    I agree with going to get fitted. That's the best way to know you have the right shoes. I was running in the wrong ones for a time and ended up hurt. Definitely invest in a good pair if you are serious about wanting to be a runner/jogger.
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I personally have a big issue with shin splints, and have one of the biggest issues for me was that I am a heel striker.

I tend to extend my legs out too far, thus forcing my heel to hit first, then the rest of my feet to my toes would slap on the ground.

This created a lot of pressure on my shins, and I assume caused me the problems.

I now run with a shorter stride, and also lean forward a bit, which allows my foot to land flat, and since, I haven't had a single issue with my shins.

And I tried everything, running store fitting, keeping a wrap on my shins to keep them warm, run less, run slower, only run on a treadmill, etc, and nothing else worked.

Good luck!