Loved my weights for 3 months, now back to square one :(

Options
I was seeing definition in my arms, my legs were looking toned, my abs were scaring my husband, and 3 weeks ago I injured my back. Tried to lift weights once, THAT was a bad idea. Don't care about walking or other light exercise, because I can get those results toward general weight loss by just eating my calorie deficit. The cardio I enjoy is my Samba which also tones my muscles - and I can't do it.

UNGH I feel like I am having withdrawals and I am scared I am losing all the progress I had made.

I keep logging my food here every day, but I have no exercise to log.

When I first started, I just wanted to get skinny. Now I have found that I was enjoying the muscle definition from the weights much more than the pounds lost.

Doctor was no help - he said just take a combo of ibuprofen and tylenol/paracetamol. Whatever I tweaked is still out of place - pills ain't gonna put it back in place. It has got worse, actually. It hurts to roll over, get up, get down, or pick up my kid. Going to see a physio therapist tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    Options
    can you use machines? or go light till your better... or maybe just rest ...?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into a chiropractor? Most are covered by insurance and can help put your back into alignment.

They're good for helping with alignment problems, just don't let them give you food advice, LOL!
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Resting an injury is SOOOO much more important.

You are NOT back to square one. Because you were healthy, you will heal quicker than when you were unhealthy. But NOT if you push yourself and just keep getting reinjured.

Please follow what your doctor says.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with above ,back off weights except bicep curls overhead press some triceps work ,stuff that does not involve your back.I have Si joint dysfunction and every now and then it flares .When that happens dead lifts, weighted squats and heavy weights go out the window .Yes you will probably loose some gains but your back is so much more important.Google your pain whether upper or lower back and you should find some physical therapy that could help to get you better much faster . Other then that I use heat and Ice and my treadmill to stay limber.Best of luck, get well.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I snapped my back up and had to take three weeks off. It sucked, and I lost about 10-20% on some lifts before I could get back to full steam.

If you can stand it (and there's not screaming pain) try a light session with half of your usual weights, with warm ups of one half and three quarters of those adjusted lifts. I've found that at least keeps me moving and staves off the feeling of losing it all. In my case, foam rolling and light back workouts helped immensely with my recovery.

As always, if there's OW DAMN IT pain, STOP. Don't let your ego get you to do stupid things.

(edit: They're/their/there)
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree here - Chiropractor or maybe see if your doc with refer you to a physical therapist.
    But, a chiropractor would probably be cheaper, even if not covered by insurance.
    Don't get discouraged - you've put in so much hard work!

Maybe look into a chiropractor? Most are covered by insurance and can help put your back into alignment.

They're good for helping with alignment problems, just don't let them give you food advice, LOL!