Les Mills Pump Workout

Options
2»

Replies

• tennismn
    tennismn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go religiously now at the YMCA, almost 3 months at this point. One of my friends is an instructor part time and invited me to a class. Now I'm hooked. While my instructor friend doesn't specifically "call out" a person with bad form, she calls out "the class" if she sees bad form. She also makes a point to demonstrate proper form before every new move. Have been to classes with different instructors, and they all do the same thing.

I like that it pushes me farther than I would do on my own, and the music makes it much more fun than doing traditional weight training on the floor. Plus the group fitness aspect of it keeps you going, because everyone else is continuing, so why not rest one rep, then get back in the game?

After about three weeks of using light weight I switched to heavier weight, and I'm noticing gains in my legs, back, and arms. I'm hesitant to use much heavier weight for chest exercises, since we're benching together and I don't have a spotter if I go to exhaustion, but my chest is more toned now.

I don't see a reason not to try it. The squat and lunge tracks are definitely challenging, and you can always add more weight for the next class after you get a feel for what can do.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind it's not strength training.

It's cardio based with light weights- but it doesn't fall under "strength training"

FYI

:)

Why not?

Any sort of workout that requires double or triple digits is not strength training. It's muscular endurance.

If you are strength training you are doing 10-15 reps MAX. and 15 is really pushing it. After that it is really all about muscular endurance.

And strength and endurance are two TOTALLY different animals.

it is neither bad nor good- I am just pointing out that a lot of people consider it strength training- but it's not.

Tidbit
    A wide spectrum regimens are adopted to achieve different results, but the classic formula recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine reads as follows:
    8 to 12 repetitions of a resistance training exercise for each major muscle group at an intensity of 40% to 80% of a one-repetition max (RM) depending on the training level of the participant.
    Two to three minutes of rest is recommended between exercise sets to allow for proper recovery.
    Two to four sets are recommended for each muscle group [3]

This is really interesting. I had no idea. So what benefits does Pump have? I did 15lbs through the whole workout, which was tough but not tough enough where I felt the need to stop. Am I still toning/gaining muscle?