Are you a cheater?

Options
Will you cheat on your diet this holiday? (i.e., Thanksgiving Day) And if so, by how much?

As for me, I plan to allow myself 4000 calories, up from my 1800, but intend on burning 500 calories with a morning run and another 500 by cooking all day.

How about you? If you're from the EU or abroad, what holiday will be your cheat day?

Replies

• PMcLinn
    PMcLinn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am planning on eating what I want on Thanksgiving, but I am not considering it cheating.....I am hoping that this time I will make this a lifestyle change and not just a 'diet', Thanksgiving is a part of my life that I don't intend to give up. That being said, I am not a huge over eater on Thanksgiving anyway, I take portions of each item and usually don't go back for seconds, and if I snack I snack on veggie trays. I may over do the eggs and rolls (I am making homemade ones) but really the stuffing, potatoes, etc are a once scoop deal for me. I am going to try to log, but since I won't be making everything I will have to make an educated guess
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't ever have "cheat days". I accept that some days I'm going to eat over but still try to keep it more reasonable than I did prior to losing weight. Most of the time, I just eat really well the rest of the day or week to equalize it all out. For Thanksgiving, I'm planning to go like 500 to 600 calories above my normal and basically maintain for the day. I'm not going to track extensively, but will estimate and try to be smart about my portions.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will be off (I think) - I may still log just for curiosity sake, but I don't care what the numbers will be.

I usually have Bonfire night off (Nov 5th) but my grandparents didn't have a party this year :( so no yummy goodies.
  • Bound4Kona
    Bound4Kona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @blueangel: Cheating does sound like such a strong word, but I couldn't think of another adjective. Still congrats on your achievement and cheers to your goals!
  • Bound4Kona
    Options
    @laursoar: Great mentality! (I don't ever have "cheat days". I accept that some days I'm going to eat over but still try to keep it more reasonable...)

I'll probably log as much as I can just so I can keep an accurate record and know how much penance is due. LOL!
  • Bound4Kona
    Options
    @stakehead: Let the numbers roll. It'll still be good to track for records sake. Congrats on your achievements and cheers on your goals!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating all the traditional dishes. I dont plan on stuffing myself till nausea, but I'm not going to restrict either. Its a day of thanks, I'm thankful for the changes Ive made in my life for the better. Slow but steady, better and better everyday! :)

Happy Holidays
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am planning on having 3 days off - Xmas eve, Xmas day and Boxing day.

I dont intend on going mad - but will eat 3 full meals not 3 counted meals - and will indulge in a box of Ferrero rochers and a Cadbury stocking! this will be my reward to my self .

Im capping it at these 3 days so i can look forward to them but already know its just 3 days. I intend on doing as much exercise the days before and after as i can - some nice walks, a run etc in the hopes of limiting the cheat days :-)
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My sister in law and I have agreed to keep each other in check. I am going to fix her plate and she is going to fix mine!! I read yesterday that dark meat is actually the better choice though I can't remember the reasons but they sounded good. My weakness will be my mother's homemade pies...especially the coconut cream. This is the first Thanksgiving in about 7 years that my whole family is coming from out of town to get together so needless to say, a piece of mom's pie coconut cream pie is a must because it could be another 7 years for the opportunity to present itself again.

I will be black friday shopping from 8 pm to about 3 am with my daughter so I will get to work some of that pie off!!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on "cheating" because I'll stay mindful of what I'm eating. I'll make healthier choices when possible and only eat my favorite treats. I'm hoping to stick to my maintenance calorie budget of 2110.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the cooking and a 5K for Thanksgiving...I will still be measuring and logging. Since I am the one cooking the fare will be the usual sides and fixings, but made a bit healthier with no one the wiser. I am really starting to see the results of my hard work and while I know one day won't undo all the damage, I made this a permanent change so I will eat what I want but continue to control the portion and weigh and measure everything. I tend to look at my calories over a week instead of a day so I can tweak individual days, this will probably come into play as well. :smile:
  • Bound4Kona
    Options
    @Ginger: That's great discipline! Awesome. Cheers!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I plan on sticking to meat, veggies and water. Of course... baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pecans is a veggie, LOL
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Canadian Thanksgiving has passed already, but I ate in moderation. We spent the holiday at the cottage in the Muskokas with only a BBQ and a propane stove and fridge so we didn't go all out anyway.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    On Christmas it is more than likely I will be over by lots considering I seen a magazine with the title "How to have a Christmas day under 4000 calories" .. so that shows how much it normally is! But in the past two years I've struggled to actually eat much at all because my appetite for food has reduced so greatly
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love that you put an option for us people who don't have Thanksgiving :)

I will compromise - load up on the healthier things like turkey and veg and eat those first, then have a limited amount of potatoes, cheesy veg etc. after that. Sweet things are the hardest for me though. Chocolate is a killer.
  • perrysquared
    Options
    Burning 500 calories from cooking.... ook
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Definitely; I only get my grandmother's dressing (although my sister makes it now) twice a year, I'm definitely not going to skimp. I've bust my *kitten* 90% of the time, I'm definitely not going to skimp on the three days a year I get my whole family together to feast.

That said, I'm going to fast the day before and after. (I'm 5.2).

m
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Eating aint cheating :wink:

lifestyle blah blah blah...

It's a celebration of one form or another, I'm going to enjoy it.
  • megxmas95
    Options
    My off days will be Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I think - but even so, I think I'll struggle to overindulge too much, as my appetite has really reduced since my diet! I'm planning to just be sensible, make good portion choices, and hope that no one gets me any food based presents! If I do overeat, I won't stress, however, as you only get one Christmas a year, and I refuse to miss out on pigs in blankets!