Tips on buying a Mandoline?

HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
After seeing this on the 'eggplant' thread I've must now have a Mandoline:blushing: too! Any tips? Would to love to find one that's a decent one that's not crazy priced since I know nothing about them, in regards to metal, plastic etc. etc. other than the photos I just now Googled!

Appreciate any tips:drinker:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/ <~~lovely looking recipe photo and wonderful lil Rat!:love:

Replies

• LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    This answer will not be of any help really, but I just had to tell you when I saw this, my first thought was the musical instrument as I am a music teacher...lol.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Go to the thrift stores.
    I bought 3 for under $10 bucks and kept the best, sharpest one, kept a spare and re-donated the other. :)
    They are excellent tools if you're not a knife whiz.
  • I picked one up at Home Sense (in Canada) for about $40, it's stainless steel, making it a bit sturdier than most. It is sooo handy, especially for things like coleslaw. The only other thing I strongly recommend is when you buy one also buy a cut resistant glove(I'm not sure what they are called exactly) but it really saves your knuckles! LOL
  • I know Pampered Chef has a really nice one
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Go to the thrift stores.
    I bought 3 for under $10 bucks and kept the best, sharpest one, kept a spare and re-donated the other. :)
    Love it!! :drinker:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Go to the thrift stores.

Not enough people do this it is great for the world we live in when there are so many usable used items we don't have to use the worlds resources to make more use the ones that are here. My daughter just got all her pots and pans and kitchen tools all under 20 dollars. When she moves they go back so some one else can use them. Recycling is a great thing
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    I suggest making sure you get an adjustable one. That way you can slice things super thin or thicker depending on what you are cooking. And of course make sure you use the finger guard - we all can probably name someone who has cut off a finger tip (like my mom!)

The one I have is plastic, but the blade is ceramic. I love it. Quick easy. And I can slice 1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm thicknesses. (or something along those lines, I know the thickest is 3mm)

btw, I love the thrift store idea. I should totally look for one in my area for things that I want. I've been going to Old Time Pottery for cheap stuff. But I love the reuse idea (read: seasoned pans!)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    I suggest making sure you get an adjustable one. That way you can slice things super thin or thicker depending on what you are cooking. And of course make sure you use the finger guard - we all can probably name someone who has cut off a finger tip (like my mom!)

The one I have is plastic, but the blade is ceramic. I love it. Quick easy. And I can slice 1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm thicknesses. (or something along those lines, I know the thickest is 3mm)

btw, I love the thrift store idea. I should totally look for one in my area for things that I want. I've been going to Old Time Pottery for cheap stuff. But I love the reuse idea (read: seasoned pans!)
    Thanks for the tips!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    I have a plastic one that I got at a home goods store for about $15... it had various plates you pop in and out for thickness and slices and stuff (fry cut, shred, etc.). It's great because it has all those plates and does all kinds of slices and such.... but it sucks because it's got all those plates (hard to keep track of).

It works really well but if I ever upgrade it's going to be one of the more expensive ones with the adjustable knob on the bottom vs. all the plates.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    I have a plastic one that I got at a home goods store for about $15... it had various plates you pop in and out for thickness and slices and stuff (fry cut, shred, etc.). It's great because it has all those plates and does all kinds of slices and such.... but it sucks because it's got all those plates (hard to keep track of).

It works really well but if I ever upgrade it's going to be one of the more expensive ones with the adjustable knob on the bottom vs. all the plates.
    Good to know! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it:drinker: :wink:
This discussion has been closed.