good but cheap heart rate monitors

Options
I have 5 kids so needless to say not a lot of extra money. We need 2 hrms. Ones that also count the calories. Would prefer under 50 $. Yes I know I get what I pay for but we cant aford more than that. We have 3 people with major medical problems.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you want something accurate you'll need a HRM with a chest strap. The Polar FT4 is a good model and probably the cheapest but not under $50. A HRM is only good for steady state cardio though so it's not something you wear all the time to get your calorie burn for the day.

A Fitbit isn't a HRM but it will give an estimate of total daily burn. The Zip is usually in the $60 range and you just clip it on like a pedometer and wear it all day.

You can get the cheap pulse type HRM's that look like a watch and you touch an electrode to get your HR but they're wildly inaccurate.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You probably know this but they all produce estimates based on averages which are available free online from activity databases like MFPs. And you can check your HR with your fingers, though obviously you don't get a nice continuous read like from a HR. I'm not saying a HRM isn't a nice tool but it produces estimates that are somewhat better than estimates you can get for free, so I don't think it's essential.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The cheaper it is, usually the less accurate (and therefore less useful).
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the reveiws and none of the more expensive ones seem to have a ton if great reveiws ether. Fitbit is only like 3.5 stars. Bodymedia seems to have the best but costs monthly.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    What are you looking for it to do? What information are you trying to gather?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I feel like most of the mediocre 'average' reviews are because they're averaging a lot of very good reviews with some terrible ones, and the terrible ones are often based on getting a faulty device, which the manufacturers and retailers will replace. It happens a lot. It is frustrating, too. But if you get a working device AND recognize beforehand what it can and can't do (it can't do HR, it can't track cycling), people tend to be happy with the Fitbit and some of the other leaders, I think. You have to realize you're paying $60-$99 for a very fancy pedometer. The BMF, in my opinion, doesn't really do much more. I've had that, too.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have a Pyle Sport HRM with chest strap. It was less than $30 on Amazon, and is as accurate as the monitoring equipment at our local human performance lab. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Polar, it doesn't store data, and you have to run the stopwatch in order to get a count of calories burned. It's nothing fancy, but if all you want is something to monitor your heartrate and give you a good estimate of calories burned during steady state cardio, it gets the job done.
  • Stage14
    Options
    I just looked at the reveiws and none of the more expensive ones seem to have a ton if great reveiws ether. Fitbit is only like 3.5 stars. Bodymedia seems to have the best but costs monthly.

Those are fitness buddies, not heart rate monitors. What are you wanting to do with these items? That will help us determine which is better for you.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone the PolarH7 is an awesome alternative. Cheap too and as accurate as any polar wristwatch at twice the price.

Stay away from anything Timex, their algorithms are way off.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

Those are fitness buddies, not heart rate monitors. What are you wanting to do with these items? That will help us determine which is better for you.

Track burned callories.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    If you have an iphone the PolarH7 is an awesome alternative. Cheap too and as accurate as any polar wristwatch at twice the price.

Stay away from anything Timex, their algorithms are way off.

I have a droid.
  • Stage14
    Options

Track burned callories.

Yes, but are you wanting to get an estimate of how many calories you burn just going about your day or are you wanting to specifically track how many calories you're burning during a workout session?
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    I supose through the day. That would be the most accurate for weightloss right?
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and I'm really happy with it. It's $60 on amazon, so just above your budget. maybe keep your eye out for a lightly used one? Or maybe there will be some black friday/cyber monday deals?
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Through the day i think...that would be the most accurate.

Track burned callories.

Yes, but are you wanting to get an estimate of how many calories you burn just going about your day or are you wanting to specifically track how many calories you're burning during a workout session?
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I bought the Bodymedia in February. It also runs on estimates and isn't accurate. When I'm sweating my butt off at the gym, it usually thinks I'm sitting on the couch, half asleep. Most of the positive reviews that I've seen are from people that weren't active before, now they are, so they credit the Bodymedia armband. You could tie a ribbon around your arm to remind you to exercise and get the same results.

I've also used the Fitbit. It seemed accurate for cardio, but fell apart after about a year. I don't think there's anything that will give an accurate calorie count if you're weightlifting. I thought about getting a HRM next, but now I'm thinking I should just log my estimated calories and go off that. Fitbit and Bodymedia both give me numbers that are very similar to online calorie estimates. In fact, what Bodymedia says I'm burning in a day - that's EXACTLY the same as the internet estimation of what I should be burning. According to all these gadgets, I've been eating at a calorie deficit for awhile. Do I lose a pound for every 3500 calories? Nope. Not even close.

Save your money. Buy a tape measure and take your measurements every week. And maybe get some workout clothes, or an mp3 player or something that will help you enjoy your workouts. Good luck! :)
  • Thommothebear
    Thommothebear Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 does everything I need it to, very good value
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name of it, maybe someone else does. There are places that measure the oxygen coming out of your mouth for like 20 minutes, to see how many calories you're burning. I've heard it runs about $40. You could have that done and compare it to online estimates to see where you stand. This is the actual (scientific?) way to test your metabolism and see where you're at. It's accurate, and it would be in the price range you mentioned. I just wish I could remember what it's called. :grumble:
  • Mokey41
    Options
    If you want something to track your calories all day based on your movements and your exercise is going to be more walking/running based they you're looking for something like a Fitbit or Bodymedia. They aren't HRM's. A HRM is only for use during steady state cardio exercise, you can't wear it all day and get anything accurate.

It's really not going to help with weight loss unless you use it as a motivator. It's very easy to figure out a calorie budget using a multitude of online calculators or if you just post your stats here there are lots of people who will do it for you.
  • wascwywbt
    wascwywbt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For good but cheap HRM, I use the Timex T5K541 Personal Trainer HR which is less than $30 on Amazon. For many years I used to use $200+ Polar HRM's but it costs more to replace the battery with their factory authorized service at Polar than it does to buy a new Timex HRM.