Jawbone Up Calorie Estimates

Options
So I have had the Jawbone for a few months now. I have always been curious as to whether or not the calories I burn sleeping are monitored and recorded. I don't think they are. When I sync my band in the morning no calories are recorded. It seems like it doesn't start recording calories until I switch it to Awake Mode. This makes sense obviously because it is designed to work off of motion.

My TDEE (on the UP band) when I work out is about 1800-1900 calories. I currently am eating around 1700-1800 calories a day.

My thought is that if the Up band is not recording my calories I burn when I am sleeping, If I eat right around what it says is my TDEE, then the calories I burn sleeping that are not recorded on my Up band count as my deficit for weight loss.

Does this make sense at all or am I missing something?

thanks

Replies

• KaylaBushman
    Options
    bump.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit, not a Jawbone, but I would think it would record the calories burned sleeping, so you get a total 24-hour picture. If your TDEE is 1800-1900 and you are eating 1700-1800, you should see no to very slow weight loss.

Hopefully a Jawbone owner will jump in.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    Thanks.

If that is the case, and my actual TDEE is 1900 a day max with a work out, then the calculators on line are terribly wrong as they estimate my TDEE anywhere from 2200-2400.
  • Mama_Jag
    Options
    Well, the Jawbone also starts with a basic calculation (likely "sedentary") then adds actual movement instead of estimated. Sometimes, with exercise, it's hard for a device like that to measure intensity.

Again, I can only speak for Fitbit, but some exercises I have to manually add (lifting, biking, etc) because it was not made to calculate that movement. I don't know what the Jawbone interface looks like, but can you add activity that would override the perceived activity for certain exercises? Example if I lifted from 5:30 - 6:00 pm, my fitbit will think I didn't do much because it can't perceive the lift. When I enter the workout and intensity level and the time I worked out, it will compute that instead, giving me a higher burn for that time period, and thus a higher burn overall for the day.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    mine will let me add exercise, but I am not sure it adjusts the calories too much, I will have to mess around with it some more.

When I am diligent with my logging of calories I see about .5-1 pound loss per week. unless I eat sugary processed foods and then the water retention throws off the scale for a few days. So I guess I shouldn't sweat it too much since I only have about 15-20lbs to lose.
  • Mama_Jag
    Options
    That sounds perfect. If what you are doing is working, go with it! :flowerforyou:
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you calibrated your band? The calibration makes it more accurate. I had a rough time with it before I calibrated it. But when I used my HRM along with my up band it was pretty accurate ( with in like 20 calories.) I recommend calibrating it like 3 times or so, and then like once a month.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    Maybe I will have to do that again.
  • lovelyemily72
    Options
    Hey everyone , this is my 1st post on MFP ,
    I'm dogma really well and I've almost lost my IVF wight ! Ready for my next cycle ,
    I got a up jawbone band last week , and now I'm confused , my calories allowance had changed and when I add my actives ( ie cycling to work use to give me 197 extra cal per day ) I have - cal's ?????

Why ????