How do you get your motivation back after gaining weight?

Options
I've been on this site for a while and up until a couple months ago I was doing awesome. Exercising 5-6 times a week and eating fairly healthy. I had lost 16 pounds and was looking pretty good. Then I went on vacation for a few days back home and are like crazy because I hadn't had my moms cooking in over 3 years. After that I've had a tough time getting back into my routine and haven't been to the gym in over 2 months. My diet is horrible. I can't just eat 1 or 2 cookies I have to eat the entire box. I don't eat until I'm not hungry anymore like I use to I eat until I'm stuffed. What's wrong with me? Everyday I say I'm going to start fresh but I end up binging on something and never make it to the gym. I'm really unhappy about the way my clothes are fitting and I've gained at least half of what I've lost if not more. How do you get back on track??

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    baby steps, try going for a long walk, don't buy cookies buy fruit instead, drink water instead of soda, tea instead of coffee (or black coffee instead of cream and sugar)

tell yourself you can go to the gym once this week. just once...and when you are ready 2 times then 3 and so on.

don't try to do everything at once, you will crack and binge (been there done that) just take small steps and rebuild old habits.

one thing I do is track everything..good and bad...seeing those high numbers put things in perspective and helps me make smarter choices
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    for me I have to do everyhing all at once to get back on track--i have an 'all or nothing' mentality so when i slip up early in my day it tends to lead to an all day binge and guilt-a-thon. I know this isn't ideal, but for me it works best to recommit myself 100%. I usually start with trying to plan out the next few days/week in terms of meals and exercise and then filling up my fridge/pantry with the food needed for the healthy meals i have planned and nothing else. Just doing the planning and shopping is usually enough to get me motivated again to start over!

Also very important for me is that i cannot feel guilty about past slip ups. you cannot change what's happened in the past, but only impact what happens in the present/ future. Dwelling on past slip ups will do nothing more than stress me out and lead to more poor choices.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, as said above, one step at a time. Log everything you eat. Increase you much you move (doesn't need to be a full on gym workout - could be just a walk around your neighbourhood).

Stop any guilty thinking in its tracks - focus on your choices, one at a time. Focus on slow and steady loss, not going crazy in either the direction.

Best of luck with it all!
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Motivation:

1. Hang out with friends and other people that are better looking than you. You could look like that.

2. Be eager. Tomorrow you can be less of a fatty than you are today, and two days from now is even more exciting. Two days from now you will be less of a fatty than you were tomorrow. That's awesome.
  • Letje_Lux
    Options
    I've been on and off the bandwagon plenty of times and it basically comes down to the fact that you have to want it. REALLY want it.

My attitude can be like, "yeah, I'd like to lose some weight," but that only means I'm not ready to put in the work. It's a mental battle.

Now, I'm saying to myself "failure is not an option," and I believe it to be true. When you decide you want it, you just do it. I don't know if that helps or makes sense but that's now I see it.