TDEE, BMR, MFP... Confused?

Options
Someone was posting about this, and now I can't find the thread... so I apologize.

I'm just a little confused:

Based on the information I put into MFP, I have been given a calorie "deficit" of 1330.

I went to this website (this is what was suggested on the other thread): http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and entered my information there. For the formula, I chose the MIffler-St Jeor and the exercise level of "couch potato" (not necessarily true- it's more like 3x per week, but I just wanted to see what the least amount of action would mean for me... I'm a student so there's a lot of sitting-on-my-butt-in-the-library-time). It gives me a number, and then I do the subtraction of 15-25% and get those numbers. When I subtract 15%, it's close (a little larger) than what MFP has me doing. So, following MFP's number is fine?

If I wanted to loose more weight, would I look into staying under TDEE- 20%?

When I look at my BMR (and I thought that this is the amount of calories that we need to be alive...) it says that that is 1349. So, am I only getting a 19 calorie deficit? Is that really enough?

Am I misunderstanding this whole thing? What's the difference between BMR and TDEE?

I'm happy to give more specifics (weight/goal/lbs per week) if that would make it easier to explain.

Please be kind... I don't mean to sound dumb but I am just confused.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body needs everyday if you were in a coma just to function to keep you alive.

TDEE is what you maintain your current weight on, this is what calories are subtracted from to create your deficit.

The number MFP gave you to eat of 1330 isn't a deficit, it's a goal to eat at to allow you to lose weight with zero exercise. It does contain a deficit though already built in with the math MFP does for you when you enter your information.

Assuming you put into MFP to lose 1lb per week, it subtracted 500 calories from what it is calculating as your maintenance calories, which turns out to be the 1330.

Since you seem to be just starting out and don't really have the hang of it, I would recommend sticking to what MFP gives you as far as calories go and maybe do the TDEE method after you have more understanding of how all this works. Don't over complicate it =)

Also please remember that MFP wants you to log your exercise and eat those calories on top of your goal. Just to let you know there are a few exercises on MFP that tend to be exaggerated, so I would eat closer to 50%-80% of the calories given to you for the elliptical and Zumba. Investing in a HRM with a chest strap would allow the most accurate measurement though.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the number of calories your body burns keeping your blood pumping, your lungs breathing, and your brain, spleen, liver, etc. alive. It's roughly the number of calories you would burn if you were bedridden all day.

You want your deficit to come from your TDEE. This is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's roughly the number of calories your body burns in a day, including work and exercise and also the number of calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight. Anything above this number and you should gain weight. Anything below it and you should lose.

The TDEE method and MFP usually worked out to be about the same number of calories for me once my exercise was factored in.

It looks like you don't have much weight to lose according to your ticker? If that's accurate, I'd stick to TDEE - 15% or even - 10%. The less weight you have to lose the slower it's going to come off. Unfortunately, no amount of fighting it will make your body drop the fat faster.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Search for a thread called TDEE is everything. I'm posting from my phone, otherwise id find the link for you. That thread explains the terms very well.

2) when you don't have a firm grasp on the concepts, comparing methods from different calculators is just going to confuse you. When you have 1 watch you know what time it is... when you have 2 watches you never know for sure.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, ya'll!

Since my MFP and TDEE are pretty close, I think I'm fine. Get me right- I think I'm doing okay (I don't think 9 lbs since September is too bad, right?) but, like jacksonpt said, I had no idea what was going on for a minute!

Thanks again!
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the number of calories your body burns keeping your blood pumping, your lungs breathing, and your brain, spleen, liver, etc. alive. It's roughly the number of calories you would burn if you were bedridden all day.

You want your deficit to come from your TDEE. This is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's roughly the number of calories your body burns in a day, including work and exercise and also the number of calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight. Anything above this number and you should gain weight. Anything below it and you should lose.

The TDEE method and MFP usually worked out to be about the same number of calories for me once my exercise was factored in.

It looks like you don't have much weight to lose according to your ticker? If that's accurate, I'd stick to TDEE - 15% or even - 10%. The less weight you have to lose the slower it's going to come off. Unfortunately, no amount of fighting it will make your body drop the fat faster.
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    Sorry i didnt know how to use the quote function (first time for everything) LOL

Am trying to loose 10 lb and i liked what you said about - The less weight you have to lose the slower it's going to come off. Unfortunately, no amount of fighting it will make your body drop the fat faster.

why is this? I have recently rejoined MFP after givig up the first time and find that the weight does come off so slowly.. i need to really stick at it this time if i want to reach my goals!!