Proper ab workout?

Options
Hi all,

I've been getting more and more into weight lifting to strengthen myself, however, I've noticed that whilst I feel sore all over the day after, my abs never do.

What are some effective exercises I can do at home on my yoga mat to strengthen my abs so I can really feel the workout the day after? Today I decided to try to hold a plank, but 5 seconds in and my body was already shaking (this is a plank with elbows down).

Any information/routines would be much appreciated! :)

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Your abs are some of the tiniest muscles. Most of which you can target effictively wile performing proper form through Squats and Deadlifts. But if you wish to go further, you could ad in some weighted crunches, planks. Just remember, a million reps on an easy abdominal workout won't get you anywhere but bored and full of lactic acid. If you want growth, and you want those abs to show, hit em hard, just like every other muscle group.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Your abs are some of the tiniest muscles. Most of which you can target effictively wile performing proper form through Squats and Deadlifts. But if you wish to go further, you could ad in some weighted crunches, planks. Just remember, a million reps on an easy abdominal workout won't get you anywhere but bored and full of lactic acid. If you want growth, and you want those abs to show, hit em hard, just like every other muscle group.

So hitting them hard would be to really exhaust them, correct? Sorry, I'm new to weights and proper muscle work outs. My aim right now is that whilst I'm working off my fat through diet, weights and cardio, I'd like to actually have something solid underneath there once the body fat has been reduced - if that makes sense..
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Apply the same principles you use for your other muscle groups to your abs. Crunches are such a tiny range of motion, they aren't really that efficient/effective.

Try movements like standing or kneeling cable crunches, or weighted situps (with the weight ABOVE your head). They take some getting used to to really target the abs, but they allow you to use progressive overload and increment up, training your abs the same as you do any other muscle group, a few sets at 8-12 reps.

See the other posts here about soreness...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed. Your abs stabilize you and get worked with almost every big lift you can think of. Focus in engaging your core when you do your lifts and you should be fine. As someone once said... if you want to do it right, keep it tight.

Also, "feeling your workout" the next day isn't necessarily a good thing. Being sore isn't indicative of a good workout.