Struggling with 30DS

Options
I am just wondering if anyone else that was starting the 30 Day Shred had trouble doing the whole thing. Yesterday I did 5 minutes and today I did 10 minutes. I'm just hoping I'm that out of shape, and not have a medical condition.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising recently? If you think you might have a medical condition, you really should see a doctor.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It IS a hard workout . I had recently done all the levels earlier in the summer.. then had to take 2 months off due to surgery (I did other exercise but nothing to do with my arm). I tried level 1 again last night and OMG I wasn't sure I'd make it through it either.

Give it a few days.. I would suggest doing it one day/off a day/on a day sort of deal... I know even when I was in the 'thick' of it I did it that way so my muscles could 'rest/recoup'... otherwise I wouldn't be walking very well lol.. stiff muscles lol

Keep going - slowly you will find yourself getting more in shape.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The 30DS is tough; I am 58 and I did it. I started slow ... and I kept up with the modified routine and modified it to fit me in some cases.

For instances:

Jumping Jacks. I have knee problems so I can't jump up and down...but I did all the arm movements for Jumping Jacks at a faster pace and got the heart rate up.

Push Ups: I can't do them on the floor .. again due to my knee issue; so I do them against a piece of furniture waist high. You could also use your kitchen counter or even against a wall. You get the same benefit of upper body workout without the added stress your body can not handle.

Do what you can. You did good that you did 5 minutes yesterday and 10 mins today. Tomorrow it will be 15. Take longer than 30 days to complete the journey ... do the best you can and remember to push yourself just a bit more each day.

And yes .. if you think its medically related, or you have health issues ... please consult with your doctor FIRST and foremost.

Best of luck!

L

(edit) PS: I just checked your profile page and your starting weight is a little higher than mine was a year ago...it is hard at your SW ... so do not despair. I completed this program in the early summer before my knee surgery and I lost 5-6 pounds and 9 inches over all. Make baby goals to make it through this .. you can do it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You know what? Good for you! I think it's awesome that you're doing as much as you can and you pushed yourself farther today than you did yesterday. It is a tough workout and you are doing the best you can. Here's a thought - maybe instead of just stopping altogether after 5 or 10 minutes, pause it, take a break for a minute or two (don't just stop altogether, walk around the house or march in place while your heart rate comes back down a bit) then start it up again and see how much more you can do. With some time and practice you'll get through the whole thing no problem and be ready for Level 2. Keep it up!

P.S. If you feel you can't get through because you're dizzy or lightheaded, forget my advice to walk around, sit down and come to a full stop. And maybe think about doing something less strenuous like the walking videos by Leslie Sansome.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You know what? Good for you! I think it's awesome that you're doing as much as you can and you pushed yourself farther today than you did yesterday. It is a tough workout and you are doing the best you can. Here's a thought - maybe instead of just stopping altogether after 5 or 10 minutes, pause it, take a break for a minute or two (don't just stop altogether, walk around the house or march in place while your heart rate comes back down a bit) then start it up again and see how much more you can do. With some time and practice you'll get through the whole thing no problem and be ready for Level 2. Keep it up!

P.S. If you feel you can't get through because you're dizzy or lightheaded, forget my advice to walk around, sit down and come to a full stop. And maybe think about doing something less strenuous like the walking videos by Leslie Sansome.

Yes if you're dizzy take a break - I was like that and then found out my blood pressure was very low and I should've been taking salt supplements before I workout...
    As for Leslie Sansone workouts - GO FOR IT!! I recently 'found her' and I do her 4 mile booted walk on youtube on my alternate days (3 x wk of Leslie/ 2x wk of JM 30DS)..... you do get a good sweat on that's for sure - and I can feel it in my muscles.. great work outs!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Do you stop because you're tired, out of breath or are you in pain? What is it in the DVD you're having trouble with?