Accepting a change in my running plan?

Options
What's been working for me these past 3 months or so is to run for 3 days, then rest for a day. This month, I actually wrote on a calendar my running days because I added some 30 day challenges to my work outs (planks, push ups, triceps dips & squats) so with planning out what days I have to do how many of each of those, I also planned which days I would run, leading up to a 5K on Thanksgiving morning.

I have run 3 days & today is my normal rest day, but tomorrow & Thursday after work I have mandatory training, so there will be no running either night. I was kinda planning on "sneaking" in a run tonight, but, quick honestly, I'm exhausted! Just the thought of getting up, walking down the hall & changing into my running gear is slightly overwhelming! So the logical part of me says "it's ok, listen to your body & rest!" but there is another part of my brain that says "snap to it! 3 days off in a row a week before a 5K is wasted time!" (and my work is long the next 2 days, I have to work from 0645a - 7pm, then training until 8pm, I'm already waking up @ 4:40 for my normal routine & driving times, so getting up earlier to run before work is out!)

So I'm planning on listening to my body & taking it easy tonight...still doing my challenges, though, but still...3 days off in a row? it's kinda killing me mentally!

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yep I totally understand your frustration but you know what? Rest. Your body will thank you for it in a couple of days.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I vote rest; you won't get far in your run if your body is too tired to hold itself up. Good luck with the 5k! x
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Rest is good. Even an extra two days won't kill you. But, maybe you could sneak at least a walk in over the lunch the next two days? It's better than nothing.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I was thinking abut a walk, although I usually get a 45 mins lunch, I eat, then get in about a 10-15 mins nap. I might take a "power walk" instead. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone!