Pull ups

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I put the box/chair/steppers in front of me- so I can jump up and down if I'm doing burpees or some sort of HIIT workout

but otherwise I concur with your post :D
  • jamd95
    jamd95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    when I'm training in the gym I usually go for 6-8 reps at the heaviest weight I can lift for that rep range. Is less reps and more weights beneficial? and if so should I add more sets on ?
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ten years ago when I was active duty and the gym consumed 3-5 hours a day, we were doing sets of ten pull ups with a 45 plate hanging from out waste. Pull ups / sit ups / pushups all fall into the same category of "the more often you do them, the more you will be able to do. A few months ago I built a pull up bar in the basement (2" x 4' steel pipe lag bolted into floor joists) and was doing as many as I could every time I went down there for laundry, freezer, whatever. I started out doing just 2 and made it up to 7. recently found a free android app "PULL UPS".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rittr.pullups

This app workout very closely mimics the "100 PUSH UPS" workout. After 3 weeks my 7 pull up max has increased to 17. It involves specific reps, times rest periods and demands days off for recovery.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    when i lost weight through running and good diet i was able to do more. i could only do 3 back in like April, May now i can do 11.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    when I'm training in the gym I usually go for 6-8 reps at the heaviest weight I can lift for that rep range. Is less reps and more weights beneficial? and if so should I add more sets on ?

To a point.

Google up grease the groove. I found for pull ups - that was the most helpful thing- now that I'm good at them- I train them like anything else- once or twice a week in a systematic/progressive manner.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

This is all my personal opinion from things I've read so I have no scientific reasoning (keep that in mind)

Don't even worry about throwing weight in there until you can do at least 15 perfect form unassisted...which will happen sooner than you think.

If I read your post wrong and you are asking if you should stay in the 6-8 rep range than no, you shouldn't, not with body weight pull-ups. With weighted pull-ups sure. 6-8 isn't really a good base yet unassisted.

That's like doing farmer walks when you can't even walk a mile yet.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    it took me 2 months to get a full pull up. it's one of those things you have to work toward even if you can only go half way. After 10 months of lifting i can do 4 reps for 3 sets. i still struggle tho and keep pushing each week to add at least 1/2 of a new one.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any back work? To be fair, if they can do multiple pullups and you can't do one, you aren't anywhere near "around equal strength." Pull ups pretty much use your lats, so you need to make sure you are working your back, lat pull downs, barbell rows, etc.

Well this isn't strictly true I would think. You could be lifting the same weights every where else including lat-pull down etc. and not be able to do a pull-up when your friend could. The most likely explanation in that case is body weight. Are you heavier than your friends because one really easy way to make pull-ups easier is to drop some fat.

I second the nerd fitness link above. I found it very helpful at working towards my first pull-up
    Strength is relative to size. If I'm 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than my workout partner, but he lifts the same weights that I do, then he is stronger than me, because a bigger person SHOULD be able to lift more weight. That's why powerlifting competitions have weight classes.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Are you doing any back work? To be fair, if they can do multiple pullups and you can't do one, you aren't anywhere near "around equal strength." Pull ups pretty much use your lats, so you need to make sure you are working your back, lat pull downs, barbell rows, etc.

Well this isn't strictly true I would think. You could be lifting the same weights every where else including lat-pull down etc. and not be able to do a pull-up when your friend could. The most likely explanation in that case is body weight. Are you heavier than your friends because one really easy way to make pull-ups easier is to drop some fat.

I second the nerd fitness link above. I found it very helpful at working towards my first pull-up
    Strength is relative to size. If I'm 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than my workout partner, but he lifts the same weights that I do, then he is stronger than me, because a bigger person SHOULD be able to lift more weight. That's why powerlifting competitions have weight classes.

or wilkes.

LOL I<3 wilkes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

or wilkes.

LOL I<3 wilkes.
    Well yeah, but the Wilks co-efficient still means weigh more = lift more.