Question about Walking and Goal

Options
Ok I have 2 questions.

1 - Can someone explain to me the Goal | Food - Exercise = Net? Am I suppose to have a negative Net in order to create a deficit?

2 - I walked 5.1 miles today in 98 minutes. Does this mean I put in Walking 5.0 mph in 98 minutes in my MFP log?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    1. Goal includes the deficit; aim for 0 net

2. If it took you 98 minutes to walk 5.1 miles, you were going 5.1/98*60 mph, or 3.1 mph. So it would be 98 minutes at 3.0mph

Way to go on the hour and a half of walking, btw!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) When you set up your goal with MFP, it includes your deficit. That's your NET goal. Any exercise you do, you're supposed to enter it and eat the calories back - if you base your calorie burn from MFP though, they tend to overestimate so I'd only eat 75% of it back.

2) 5.1 miles in 98 minutes is about 3mph. Enter 3mph for 98 minutes.
  • skywalker0829
    Options
    That sucks....I put in walking 5.0 mph for 98 minutes, and it came up over 1500 calories burned. so now i had to change it to what you said, and it went to 648 calories burned. ugh
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think that is even high. I walk 6 miles in two hours, in the Mountains, steep terrain. My fitbit gives me about 400 calories burned.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 100 calories per mile is a rough average for a human at any speed (though I've read for women it's usually closer to 75 for walking and 125 for running). So 648 for walking 5 miles isn't bad.

5mph for 98 minutes would be roughly 8 miles of running. 1500 calories sounds very high but if you're very large that will matter.