Cottage Cheese....Help!

Options
13»

Replies

• Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is one of the foods where you either love it, or you hate it. I personally love it and I really, really love it with grapes mixed into it.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try it with canned pears and club crackers. The only brand I've tried that was nasty is Kraft Simply. This isn't really a low calorie option, but cottage cheese, dry strawberry jello, sweetened/sliced strawberries and a tub of cool whip is awesome!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I hate it. Cottage cheese, bleu cheese (or any moldy cheese), and avocado are my most hated foods. I think it's partially a texture thing. I've tried to like cottage cheese so many times, tried so many brands, and couldn't even eat one spoonful of it no matter what I added. I prefer nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese doesn't have as bitter flavor as non-fat greek yogurt in my opinion.. I use cottage cheese in shakes, I'll make it a dip if I mix olive tapenade in it, or add mixed dried fruits and nuts with honey for a snack.
  • MacroMiranda
    MacroMiranda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to add some sugar free Jell-O powder. It makes it taste more like a dessert with just a few extra calories.
  • ingenueorbust
    ingenueorbust Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cinnamon apples or blueberries.. or mixed with yogurt. mmm
  • windstar57
    windstar57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How about nonfat or low fat ricotta cheese? Protein and less sodium. Broil on toast, add red roasted peppers to it…yum! Small curd cottage cheese with chives..yumm or with canned mandarin orange pieces.
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with half of a crystal light packet in it.
  • capable1
    Options
    Try sprinkling Mrs. Dash seasoning on it. I like the garlic & herb blend on mine.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Try it with canned pears and club crackers. The only brand I've tried that was nasty is Kraft Simply. This isn't really a low calorie option, but cottage cheese, dry strawberry jello, sweetened/sliced strawberries and a tub of cool whip is awesome!

I'm quoting this so I can save your recipe idea. Interesting!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I whirl it in the food processor with parsley, scallion tops or chives and some salt and pepper. You could also add a little bit of cream cheese or feta cheese. Makes a great dip or spread.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    WOW! I posted this, and fell asleep. I never expect so many responses. Thanks Guys! Being so many responded, I will take the time to explain why I am trying to eat it. I changed to 35% protein, and dropped carb %, so, although I appreciate the cracker and toast suggestions, that may not work.

There are few things that have high protein to low calorie ratio. Don't get me wrong, I love meat, but eating massive amounts of chicken everyday is a little difficult. I bought two 4% containers yesterday, one large curd, one small. Opened the large curd first, exp date was sooner, put the pineapple in it, and got it down. After I finished it, I took a hand blender to it, so hope that helps the next time. I love dairy in that spectrum, ricotta, blue cheese (the smellier the better), sour cream, etc.

Drinking a protein shake, eating some chicken, daily steak is really not in my budget, salmon, turkey & beef jerky, edamame. Egg whites with lite cheddar cheese. Bought protein bars yesterday. They taste ok. Sort of like unbaked chocolate cake, but with not enough sugar.

Again, thanks everyone! I thought getting the 1400 diet working was a little difficult, finding correct maintanance calories was harder than losing calorie count (kept losing at the 1960 MFP gave me), but this is way harder than any of those.