Getting Started & Setting Goals

Options
I have been on and off MFP a couple times now. This is my last time ever trying it and by that I mean I intend to stick with it. I found that just setting small goals really works for me, but at the same time when I do complete those small goals, I would like to reward myself or treat myself. Sadly, I am out of ideas on how to reward myself. And I would rather it not be with food, I feel like that would set me back? Any tips? Or ideas? Anything? Also if we are not friends feel free to add me, the more people on my list the better because that actually makes me want to log in and try even harder.

Replies

• nlb1106
    nlb1106 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What about fitness related rewards? Buying a piece of home gym equipment you wanted, or a HRM or you could even treat yourself to a new top you wanted.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    How about this. Instead of setting goals for calorie or weight related things, start setting fitness goal. For instance:
    Be able to run a 5k in less than 30 minutes
    Be able to squat your bodyweight.
    Complete an adventure race (see my muddy picture)
    Compete in a sport
    Learn to dance
    Learn a martial art

I found that, once I stopped focusing on the calories and started focusing on the training, the weight loss came very easily.
    In fact, during the weight lifting work, I had a hard time finding a way to consume enough calories short of just stuffing my face with junk.
  • strawberrycrisp89
    Options
    I suppose my next goal could be to learn the basics of weight lifting....I still have yet to learn that and not fear the gym.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    AH! I was hoping you would choose that one and have prepared this handy link for your perusal! :)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • strawberrycrisp89
    Options
    That is awesome. I loved that! (( Kudo's on her name too btw. =] ))
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off MFP a couple times now. This is my last time ever trying it and by that I mean I intend to stick with it. I found that just setting small goals really works for me, but at the same time when I do complete those small goals, I would like to reward myself or treat myself. Sadly, I am out of ideas on how to reward myself. And I would rather it not be with food, I feel like that would set me back? Any tips? Or ideas? Anything? Also if we are not friends feel free to add me, the more people on my list the better because that actually makes me want to log in and try even harder.

A friend of mine had a group here before she got pregnant.
    Some of the group goals were to exercise for 30 minutes three days a week, Drink 64oz of water every day, walk 10,000 steps a day. Something small and easy.

There were mini rewards for every 10 pounds lost. Nails one time, A new hair cut, a new outfit etc...