Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

ANY SHIFT WORKERS OUT THERE?!

Hi all!

I'm a staff nurse who works 12.5 hour shifts either in the day or over night. The day shifts tend not to be a problem but I find on nights my healthy eating goes totally out the window (not to mention how hard it can be to log!!) I usually wake up before shift and have breakfast, then will have two snacks overnight and a cup of coffee. Snacks tend to be wholegrain crackers with peanut butter, nuts, maybe some berries, a small salad. Again, this works well if I have a couple of nights in a row as I go home and sleep. But the last shift for the week means I don't sleep to try and re-set my body clock (I tend to have an afternoon power nap). I end up eating all day and going really over my calories. This then gets into a pattern for about three days (usually the time I have off before I go back on shifts). Does anyone have any tips to maintain healthy eating on shift work? I usually get three days off a week doing nursing but some how I never manage to fit in a really good workout either! The job is very demanding and I do work in emergency medicine, so I can get very tired. My friends have told me we burn a lot on shift, this is only true up to a point as surely after time my body will get use to the amount of running around i do at work ?!! Usually when I've set my pedometer at work on an average shift it states i've burned between 280 - 320 calories.

Any help/tips/advice would be much appreciated!! :)

Replies

• bohen10
    bohen10 Posts: 5 Member
    I am in a similar situation in the veterinary field. I usually work day shifts with an occasional on call at night. I try to plan for the possible overnight and leave myself calories but it doesn't always work out. When I do the overnights I eat dinner before i leave and I bring healthy sneaks (lots of fruits and veggies, salads, nuts, balance bar) and try to balance them between before midnight and after. I try to drink a cup of coffee or 2 depending on if i got sleep before my shift and try to pound water.

When i get home I sometimes binge eat I think just cause I'm tired. Such a tough situation! My over night shifts are sometimes spent sitting next to patients or i'm up and moving trying to keep busy and awake.

So hard to stay on track!!