17 Day Diet... Plateau

Greetings!
I'm on Day 11 of Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet...and I've seemed to reach a plateau in my weight loss. I'd like to shed the last few pounds before the end of cycle 1, but not sure what I can do in order to keep tipping the scale! I've been sticking pretty diligently to the diet, and also practicing Bikram Yoga a few times a week. Not sure if I do need to add more exercise to my routine, or even have a carb day to confuse my body...??
I'd take any suggestions you've got!

Replies

• I think that on day 11 it's not time to panic yet. I don't know much about your weight loss goals etc. or the diet in full detail but for most diets/lifestyle changes there will be times of losing, gaining and staying the same.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    I think that on day 11 it's not time to panic yet. I don't know much about your weight loss goals etc. or the diet in full detail but for most diets/lifestyle changes there will be times of losing, gaining and staying the same.

Yes, 11 days is a little premature.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    1 month without weight loss is a plateau.

But for fun, how many calories are you eating and what is your exercise routine?
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    I have a friend who wanted me to try this with her... I read about it online and keep hearing about it... I'd like to know more.... what is it supposed to do? I know its 3 cycles of 17 days right? But does it have a specific meal plan? Exercise? I guess I just want to understand what is it and why is good or bad?
  • ejosbourn
    ejosbourn Posts: 15 Member
    Yes, the diet goes in 3 cycles. There aren't set meal plans, but they do limit you to eating certain kinds of food every cycle. For example, in cycle 1...you are allowed to eat unlimited amts of lean protein (such as chicken, turkey, fish) and unlimited amounts of low-carb veggies (which does exclude zuchinni, squash, and potatos). Then you are allow 2 probiotics a day (like cottage cheese or yogurt) and 2 servings of low-sugar fruit a day. It's actually a great diet, and has worked for me in the past. It just takes a little discipline to stick with it. It definitely helps if you cook your meals at home.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Yes, the diet goes in 3 cycles. There aren't set meal plans, but they do limit you to eating certain kinds of food every cycle. For example, in cycle 1...you are allowed to eat unlimited amts of lean protein (such as chicken, turkey, fish) and unlimited amounts of low-carb veggies (which does exclude zuchinni, squash, and potatos). Then you are allow 2 probiotics a day (like cottage cheese or yogurt) and 2 servings of low-sugar fruit a day. It's actually a great diet, and has worked for me in the past. It just takes a little discipline to stick with it. It definitely helps if you cook your meals at home.

So are you even logging your foods? Because you can definitely exceed your maintenance calories with proteins.

IDK about you, but if you gain weight back after a diet, I wouldn't call that a successful diet. It's better to teach yourself how to sustain a program rather than being super restrictive for a period of time and then once you call it quits, you gain it all back.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Wow, I could totally blow my budget if you told me I could have unlimited amounts of protein!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

So are you even logging your foods? Because you can definitely exceed your maintenance calories with proteins.

IDK about you, but if you gain weight back after a diet, I wouldn't call that a successful diet. It's better to teach yourself how to sustain a program rather than being super restrictive for a period of time and then once you call it quits, you gain it all back.

This.

11 days isn't a plateau. And try logging your food and eating what you want. As long as you maintain a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

Yo-yo dieting never works in the long term.