Coconut Flour and Regular Flour

When a recepie says 3 cups of regular flour, can i do 3 cups of coconut flour? I'm trying to find out if the cups would be the same.

Thanks for your help!

Sheila

Replies

• jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    NO!!! Coconut flour is about 1/4-1/3 of the amount as reagular flour. So if your recipe calls for 3 cups of regular, you'd use 3/4-1 cup of coconut flour. They really are not interchangable at all. You will probably also have to increase the eggs and liquid in the recipe. You are better off trying to find a recipe that already calls for cococnut flour.
  • jellybeanhed313
    What are you making? :)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    thank you for letting me know! I didn't think I could but wanted to make sure. I wanted to make cookies. :)
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    thank you for letting me know! I didn't think I could but wanted to make sure. I wanted to make cookies. :)

So, try these. Scrumptious!

Grain-free Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep time: 10 mins
    Cook time: 12 mins
    Total time: 22 mins

Serves: 12

A light and fluffy cookie, made with coconut flour.
    Ingredients

⅓ cup coconut flour
    ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
    ¼ cup pure maple syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2 whole eggs
    ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and eggs until a uniform batter is created. The batter will start off a bit runny, but will thicken as the coconut flour starts to absorb the moisture. Add in the chocolate chips, and stir to distribute them evenly. (I used Enjoy Life allergen-free mini chocolate chips in this particular batch.)
    Use a heaping tablespoon to drop the cookie dough onto the lined baking sheet, and use your hands to flatten the cookies. Keep in mind these cookies will NOT spread on their own, so you’ll want to shape them how you’d like them to turn out.

Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • jellybeanhed313
    Mmmmm! I'm going to try these cookies! I made some awesome chocolate chip cookies last week with almond flour. They were quite crumbly but very good, easy and quick.

2 cups almond flour
    1/4 cup butter melted
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup(more or less) chocolate chips/chunks

scoop onto a cookie sheet and flaten slightly. Bake about 10 min until golden brown. Let cool before eating...if you can! :)

This makes an excellent cookie dough to eat raw too since it doesn't have eggs.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Thank you for this post! I just started using coconut flour and love it!
  • jellybeanhed313
    Mmmmm! I'm going to try these cookies! I made some awesome chocolate chip cookies last week with almond flour. They were quite crumbly but very good, easy and quick.

2 cups almond flour
    1/4 cup butter melted
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup(more or less) chocolate chips/chunks

scoop onto a cookie sheet and flaten slightly. Bake about 10 min until golden brown. Let cool before eating...if you can! :)

This makes an excellent cookie dough to eat raw too since it doesn't have eggs.

Oops! Forgot to list the sugar!
    1/2 cup sugar/honey/agave...whatever you like.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Almond flour has a 1:1 ratio. I wouldn't use coconut flour for anything but baking!
  • Jade_MoonRaven
    Jade_MoonRaven Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for this recipe...my daughter has nut allergies, so we can't do the almond flour...I am always hunting for coconut recipes...awesomeness!