Tall Ladies!

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 145 lbs (started at about 155). My goal is 140, but I was looking at some online calculators and it said a woman my height could get down to 129-130 and still be in the healthy range. I don't think I have weighed that little since high school and would probably look stick thin at 129 pounds! Do you think this is reasonable or too little? What is your current weight and goal?

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Not a tall lady, myself, so please excuse me for butting in, but you would not be or look too thin at 129 or 130. Take my word for it. :)

I am at 147 heading for 135.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Heidi Klum is 5'10 and about 120 when modeling.
    Claudia Schiffer is 5'11 and was about 130 when she was modeling.
    Mrs. Tom Brady is 5'9 and 110.

It depends on your skeletal structure, but to be below 130 and 5'10, and have a healthy BF%, you've got to carry almost no muscle mass. My wife is 5'10, and she is NEVER going to get to below 130.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Not all body frames are alike. I'm 5'9" and the lowest I've ever been was 127 and I was sickly. I maintained 134 for quite a while before my daughter was born. But still pretty skinny. I have thicker thighs and booty, so anything under 135 just doesn't work for me. I'm currently around 143 and wear a size 4/6. I'd like to get under 140 but that's about as far as I'd go.

Stop looking at the number and look at your body! Some tall frames look ok weighing less. But overall, IMO, 5'10 and under 135 would look skeletal.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I'm 5'9" and a bit. I look best at about 135. 132 is ok, 128 is thin from the front and Skeletor skinny from the back. Did you ever see the episode of the Simpson's where Marge paints Mr. Burns getting out of the tub? Yeah, it's like that. If you have a small frame you might pull it off, but if you have a medium to large pelvis or ribs, you'll probably look pretty bony.

I'm 152 right now, aiming for 135.
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    I would say depends on your body frame. I am around 5'10" 5'11" and I haven't been 145 since probably middle school lol. But I also have a large frame so the lowest I could go without looking sickly would be like 160. Do what makes you feel comfortable and most beautiful. :)
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    I am 5'10 and have 130lbs of lean body mass.... I will never weigh less than 150lbs... unless I choose to sacrifice some of my muscle.

Weight is just a number... how about get your body fat % done... figure out what range you want for that and work towards that goal?

http://txcowboydancer.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bodyfatchart.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Well I am 5 ft 7 and currently weigh 165lbs

not really sure of GW because that number is irrelevant to me.

I am currently in a size 8 with appx 25-26% body fat...would like to see size 4 or 6 with 21% BF regardless of weight.
  • I'm 5'11 and looked anorexic at 155, I like to stay at 170ish looks healthy and feels good.
  • I'm 5'9" almost 5'10" and the lowest I've been was 135 and people say that I looked too thin. I'm up at 160 right now (whoof) but my goal is to get down to about 145 with muscle.

However, it all depends on your skeletal structure. My best friend is 5'11" and has very thin bones and small body type. She eats like horse, works out like nobody's business and weighs about 130. She looks lovely. If I was 130 people would think I was sick.

So, it all depends on what your body type and skeletal structure :smile:
  • justdance06
    justdance06 Posts: 23 Member
    I might try getting under 140 (maybe 135 or so) and see how I look & feel (and if I can even tell a difference). Being tall, it is easier to carry more weight and still look thin / healthy I think. I can't necessarily tell if I gain or lose only a few pounds.

As far as the comparison to models, their actual JOB is to look super thin. Instead of working 8 hours a day in an office, they are working out. They also have dietitians, personal trainers, personal chefs, etc. at their disposal. I'm not really sure it is possible (or desirable) for the average person to look like a supermodel, who is paid big money to look a certain way. Also, the modeling industry has lots of problems with eating disorders due to these extreme expectations. So it is not necessarily healthy to be as skinny as a model. And I am concerned with HEALTH, not just getting as thin as humanely possible.

I never said it was impossible to be 129-130 pounds at 5'10", I was seeing if other people think it is a healthy & realistic weight for the average person.

Thanks for your replies everyone! :-)
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    I'm 5'10" and fluctuate between 137 and 140. I was around 155 but really uncomfortable as I have a fairly small frame. Definitely not 120 small though!

I agree with what lots of others have said in that it's unhealthy to focus completely on a number, but I found it was a good place for me to start.