Vet looking for support

Options
Hi all,

Nothing really special about me. Have read a lot of posts and feel just about the same way everyone else in here does...just tired of being and looking this way and am motivated to change. I am 50 and happily married with three grown wonderful boys. So I'm just looking for like minded friends who want to participate in this journey...

Good luck to you all!

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you John!! Just remember be patient, log everything and enjoy the ride.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks jwhited71...thats my plan! You look great BTW.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi John :) Army vet - wife, mother of 3 :)

good luck and you can do this!!! :)
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Jon, You can add me as a friend if you like. I'm using the 5:2 plan. I'll be here for a while as I'm trying to regain the lost figure I had in my 20's. :-) I'm also happily married and I have a daughter.
  • jonmscharff
    Options
    Sorry...but what's the 5:2 plan?
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It is better to just follow the MFP guidelines for losing weight. You get to eat and the weight comes off. Just don't get in a hurry and everything will work out. I am 53 and have just used the MFP guidelines and have lost a lot of weight. It is easy to get impatient. People who follow these sticker diets tend to be here for a short time and then drop off. For me this is a lifestyle change. Eating healthier and enjoying life. I believe the 5:2 is 5 days at a set low calorie and either two days of eating what they want or two days of fasting. I have seen it both ways.
  • jonmscharff
    Options
    I agree Vivian...thats my plan. Thanks for the info also.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    AF vet here. Just trying to stay in shape. Let me know if I can help in any way!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi Jon. I log every day and am supportive to my friends. Feel free to add me if you want.

I should mention that I have lost most of my weight by eating weekday I want, including ice cream and m&m's, by eating 500 cals less a day than I burn. I use a fitbit to figure out my cals burned plus a hrm when exercising.
  • jonmscharff
    Options
    Hi Lucky it's all good. Lots of plans for lots of people. Good luck on your journey.
  • dkg125
    dkg125 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi John,

You can add me as a friend too. I've been here off and on for almost a year. Of course every time I'm serious about losing the weight, but I have two support groups now outside of MFP so I think that will help. What I don't have is many friends on MFP. I would love to share the journey with you as well. I'm 56 and happily married as well. I was doing WW for a long time, and initially lost 60 pounds on it. What I really think is that I know what to do, but as we all know life and habits and our own weak will power all conspire against us. I am motivated this time around to work hard for two reasons. First, I want to give it one last go to get to my "normal" weight and be the best I can be, and two-and this is most important-try to hold off the age related health problems that come with being too heavy. I have had meniscus surgery twice in the last year and my knees are not going to ever be the same. But i know if I were to lose the weight they'd be better than they are now and I might be able to do the walking and working out that I need to do. Shouldn't we be kind to our bodies?!? I have about 70 pounds to lose. I wish you the very best!! I'd love to be your MFP friend!
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is better to just follow the MFP guidelines for losing weight. You get to eat and the weight comes off. Just don't get in a hurry and everything will work out. I am 53 and have just used the MFP guidelines and have lost a lot of weight. It is easy to get impatient. People who follow these sticker diets tend to be here for a short time and then drop off. For me this is a lifestyle change. Eating healthier and enjoying life. I believe the 5:2 is 5 days at a set low calorie and either two days of eating what they want or two days of fasting. I have seen it both ways.

Completely incorrect. And please note that the 5:2 is not designed as a 'diet' but a way of eating, potentially for life, and therefore also a lifestyle change. You 'fast' for two days (approximately 600 calories for men, 500 for women) and eat at maintenance for 5 days. There are many on here who have been following this WOE for a long time.

Jon, I am not suggesting in any way you follow the 5:2. You, like anyone else on here, need to find you own way of doing things. Once you have been on here a while, you will learn to sift through the forums and find plenty of good information and advice. I wish you every luck in your journey! :smile:
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi John! Another new member here. I am really happy with the site, the members, the tools and the other information I've found already through MFP. I've used other logging systems, including ones I've paid for, and this one is the best and easiest one I've tried. I'm 47 and trying to get back to a size 10 or 12 (size 16 now). Logging everything I eat has never been that much of an issue for me in the past, but with the metabolism slowdown I've experienced and the orthopedic issues that have kept me from working out much, doing the logging has really helped a lot.
  • jonmscharff
    Options
    Thanks for the support Rock!
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Good morning John~

Welcome! I just turned 50 this year, and decided to get serious about taking care of myself for the long haul. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I am on here almost daily (sometimes not so diligent on the weekends when I'm busy), and I try to be supportive. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Jon - you're a youngster!
    There is something about passing the 50 years old landmark that makes you think now is the time....

Some tips:
    Don't make it complex.
    Don't exclude the foods you like (reduce not exclude is far better).
    Don't expect progress to be linear - our bodies can play funny games at times.

Do log everything and invest in a digital food scale for accuracy.
    Find an exercise routine you enjoy, try and increase your activity as well as planned exercise (stairs not elevators, walk/cycle not car driving for example).
    Be patient - slow progress over time is sustainable.
    Have goals other than weight loss - fitness/health targets for example.
    Take measurements and progress pictures.

Enjoy the ride!
  • jonmscharff
    Options
    Cindy thanks for the support!
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a vet too. I'll send along a FR. Look up my profile.