StrongLifter Planning 2nd Pregnancy...

Options
Hello,

I am almost 2 years post partum and I'm almost complete of the 12 week StrongLifts program. I still don't fit into my prepregnancy jeans and I am still 10lbs heavier than prepregnancy weight BUT I'm wanting a 2nd child now and the sooner the better (well that is for a January baby again) - I'm 32 so............

Anyways, I want to know if any one has continued to lift heavy while pregnant and did things turn out ok? #1 Baby healthy? #2 You healthy? #3 Maintained all the muscle to worked to get prior? #4 Gained only enough fat to sustain pregnancy/labour?

I love my body and I want to be awesome before, during and after pregnancy! Thoughts please..........

Replies

• gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear the feedback on this post. We will most likely begin trying for #2 by February and while I'm smaller than pre-pregnancy, I want to maintain and keep up the lifestyle I have created. I made so many bad choices the first time around and want to do things smarter.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You should consult your doctor about any and all exercise programs during your pregnancy.

Having said that - when I was pregnant, I was NOT active in anyway shape or form, but, my doctor told me both times that any kind of exercise/workouts that I was doing pre-pregnancy were fine to continue with during pregnancy because my body was already adapted to them and as long as I was eating well the baby would be fine.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your OB...
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely say talk to your doctor. Have you thought of any names yet? Also, lucky fella!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    talk to you doctor...

othewise:

1318291546720.gif
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your dr. While any activity you do prior to pregnancy you should be able to continue throughout pregnancy there are a few limitations. I have read that heavy lifting may not be sustainable throughout a pregnancy. Lifting, yes. Heavy lifting may be associated with different risks. Again - just what I read and "heavy lifting" is quite relative for anyone.

Good lucK!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just stop squatting before 8 months. Don't want to risk dropping the kid on the gym floor.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I'm kidding! Ask your Dr. This is not a subject for broscience.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just stop squatting before 8 months. Don't want to risk dropping the kid on the gym floor.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I'm kidding! Ask your Dr. This is not a subject for broscience.

I just snorted tea, BROSCIENCE is the best thing I've heard today
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about the child's mental and emotional health.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Always talk to your doctor to make sure you both are on the same page and then the standard if it hurts don't do it, modify but stay safe. Best of luck on baby #2.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, but the doctor will probably tell you one of two things: The classical advice is not to lift anything heavier than 25 or 35 lbs. The newer advice is that you can continue doing anything you did before you were pregnant. Some recent studies have shown that there is no difference in miscarraige or premature birth rates between populations that exercise and populations that don't (although the studies didn't differentiate between different types of exercises), however, the populations that continued exercising experienced subjectively easier births.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am confused at the 32 part... what does that mean?

But anyway, you absolutely have to consult a doctor about this question because every single woman as a different medical history that needs to be considered. I would wager to guess you are going to be able to maintain your current routine for early to mid pregnancy.. Once you are in later pregnancy, I would guess issues of balance would come into play and you'll have to do modified versions. But again, you probably won't be able to add more weight -- just maintain what you are already doing.

But I am not a doctor. Also, you have no idea how you'll feel while you're pregnant either. I think you'd be best off talking with your doctor and figure out a few different work out plans.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think if you're that worried about a baby ruining your body (like you said your first one did in a different post) you probably just shouldn't get pregnant.

By the way, I was obese when I got pregnant with both of mine, I gained 65 pounds with each and I look better now than I did when I was in high school.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    talk to you doctor...

othewise:

1318291546720.gif

This.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think if you're that worried about a baby ruining your body (like you said your first one did in a different post) you probably just shouldn't get pregnant.

By the way, I was obese when I got pregnant with both of mine, I gained 65 pounds with each and I look better now than I did when I was in high school.

QFT

Also, google is your friend: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=weight+lifting+while+pregnant
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles in the past few weeks that suggest that women can continue to lift during their pregnancy. This wouldn't be at the same intensity, but you can do enough to maintain. The problem occurs when someone tries to do something they weren't doing pre-pregnancy.

Checking with the doctor is always best before continuing, though.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    You'll need a wider squat stance...
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree that when the time comes, consulting a doctor is definitely the right way to go, but I think she was looking on personal experiences, maybe even as another form of motivation to keep healthy for you AND baby!

Thanks everyone..and that crossfit picture is disturbing on so many levels.:noway:
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am confused at the 32 part... what does that mean?

But anyway, you absolutely have to consult a doctor about this question because every single woman as a different medical history that needs to be considered. I would wager to guess you are going to be able to maintain your current routine for early to mid pregnancy.. Once you are in later pregnancy, I would guess issues of balance would come into play and you'll have to do modified versions. But again, you probably won't be able to add more weight -- just maintain what you are already doing.

But I am not a doctor. Also, you have no idea how you'll feel while you're pregnant either. I think you'd be best off talking with your doctor and figure out a few different work out plans.

32 is getting a little up there for having children in my book. Especially is u wanna aim to get a nice body back.....