Raises....

Options
Maryaly40
Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
So my raise finally hit. 1.5%. Do you think this is a good raise? Just curious......

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    any raise is a good raise. I have worked in job where they "temporarily" put a freeze on increases (that lasted a few years after I left the company). I also worked at a place where they went above and beyond the normal amount out of appreciation for my work. My current company doesn't base their increases on performance reviews, but are more merit increases. And I appreciate it every year.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    This isn't about calf raises at all. :angry:
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's about standard or a little below. A raise for me these days means I'm on the verge of another tax bracket...I don't want a raise!
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    WOW.... i was upset when i got 2.5% i guess i should be grateful.
    i miss the days of 3-5% raises!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Considering there are many places that aren't giving raises right now, I agree with the sentiment that any raise is a good raise. And it's pretty much been like that for the last 2-3 years. I used to get 4-6% but it's been more like 1-2% for the past few years and I'm grateful becuase Hubs hasn't gotten a raise in 4 years or more. As long as you haven't gotten any mediocre/bad feedback during your annual performance review, I would assume you're getting about as much as anyone else.
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    This isn't about calf raises at all. :angry:

Don't be mad...here's a flower for you :flowerforyou:
  • babeontherun
    Options
    I work at one of the biggest banks in the U.S. 2-3% is normal for my company.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No raise for me this year, and last year's was so small it was barely noticeable. Hubby works for Uncle Sam, so he hasn't seen a raise in the last 3 years.
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    I've been with this company for 5 years. My first 4 years, I got 2.5%-3%.....different manager. Last year I got a promotion and had my 1 year performance eval, it went well. From the responses I'm reading so far, I bet marginally the company lowered the cap. I'm happy with what I got, trust me!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Considering the current rate of inflation in the US is 1.2%, you're at least keeping up. Just don't spend all that extra money in one place. :laugh:
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy with it. I haven't had a raise since the beginning of 2010. Then again I've never had paid time off, sick days, vacation, health insurance, or any other kind of benefit so I'm really not surprised.
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    Considering the current rate of inflation in the US is 1.2%, you're at least keeping up. Just don't spend all that extra money in one place. :laugh:

Ya know what's sad, my health insurance goes up beginning Jan 1st. Even with the raise, my paycheck withh STILL be less :laugh:
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't complain.. I got 3 in a year from one job, and my first from my second job. California is expensive.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i think this depends on a couple of factors...
    how well did the company do? did YOU have a good year performance-wise?
    many people (as stated in the thread) havent received raises this year, or for some time.

be glad you have a steady income, and that it just went up (even if 1.5% seems like little).

congrats
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the "norm" is for your company. I'd say any raise is a good raise in this economy! Mine was just over 2% this year and I was disappointed because it wasn't my usual 3% but my company typically does the same raise across the board without regard for performance so I knew that it at least wasn't anything personal.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    i think this depends on a couple of factors...
    how well did the company do? did YOU have a good year performance-wise?
    many people (as stated in the thread) havent received raises this year, or for some time.

be glad you have a steady income, and that it just went up (even if 1.5% seems like little).

congrats

Al of this. As an hourly employee, I usually get $.50/$1 per hour raise each year. And I grow and take on more responsibility with that each year..

I am one of only 2 employees so we have crap benefits and no dental, vision. I used to get a $500 Christmas bonus each year and they voted to do away with that and give me an extra $18 on each paycheck... wasn't too happy about that since that number will never change now.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    That would be a cost of living raise. Not sure this years inflation but from previous years that is pretty close.

So, not to sound like a downer bc more money is always good but unless your above that inflation line then you are really not making more than last year, just not making less in terms of inflation.

If my yearly goes less than 4% than I schedule a meeting with my boss to discuss. The few times I've had to do this have ended up with very good results. If you want to do this though then you need to spend some time gathering some rock solid reasons why you deserve it and not just because you did a good job with what you were already suppossed to be doing.

And screw the "economy" excuses. I don't know what type of field you're in but at a prof. level, losing someone that I have invested 5 years of experience in over 1-2 extra percent would be way more expensive than replacing you. That is of course if you are willing to pick up and leave. If you are a lifer at a company ad I know that then I wouldn't really worry about you leaving and just give cost of living while giving others more to stay. Just saying.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I just got 3.5%. Not great, but my former employer just cut everyone's pay 3% across the board, so I figure I am much better off. Plus, where I used to work, they stopped giving out bonuses. I just got a bonus equivalent to 8% of my anual salary.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm federal; no raises in the past few years, no bonuses.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It is decent. Way better than no raise or unemployment.