Zucchini ''lasagna''

Options
Escape_Artist
Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
You read right.. Zucchini lasagna.

My SO was diagnosed with an autoimmune skin condition and since then we had to change his diet. We had to eliminate grains and most dairy. Being the good girlfriend i am, I decided to support him in this 100% and adapt most of my diet to make it easier for him. I didn't want him to see me eat rice and pasta (which he loves) while he knows eating it will flare up an oubreak.

So anyways, I've been looking for some sorts of subs I could use in his favorite recipes and found this great recipe for Lasagna.

A friend of mine who is following paleo passed down a recipe similar to this one but using eggplant. I though zucchinis were better, personally.

Now mind you, it's is not exactly the same as a real good lasagna but it does come quite close and it is surprisingly good!

1 zucchini, thinly sliced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 lb ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
6 oz tomato paste
15 oz tomato sauce
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef in a large pot
Add in garlic, onion and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes
Add tomato paste and sauce
Add herb and spices
Remove from heat once hot

Now it will be thick and that is exactly what you want. The zucchinis and mushrooms will release water when cooking so you want a thicker sauce so the end result isn't too watery.

Grease a backing dish with Olive oil or Coconut oil and place a thin layer of sauce in the dish
Layer Zucchinis and mushroom over the sauce and repeat layering sauce, zucchinis and mushrooms.

Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 15 minutes
After 15 minutes, remove foil and bake 15 more minutes at 350.

You can probably add cheese to it looks more like a lasagna.

As for the nutritional value I found this to yield 4 servings (Actually 2 for me and 1 for SO, he eats much more than me)

260 calories
27g protein
6g fat
23g carbs

**These numbers are with my ingredients, it's best you enter your own ingredients as the value will change depending on the brand**

In all, it was pretty good, he liked it. Doesn't beat a real lasagna but it does the job :)

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I eat zucchini as pasta once or twice a week. Thank you for sharing.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy. I'll have to try it minus the mushrooms ( I don't like mushrooms).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've had this before... but it was called Zucchini Skillet.

It was yummy!
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    Looking forward to trying this!! Thanks